What is the criteria for locking/stopping a discussion?

i’ve seen two discussions that have been locked where the discussions were going in interesting directions. i don’t get why they were locked.

1 Like

I agree it would be helpful if an explanation were given so we can all better understand how the guidelines are applied. Another thing that becomes confusing is when comments are deleted, but there is no evidence left that they ever existed. That makes comments that were originally made in response to the deleted comment very confusing.

In general topics are only closed either at the request of the original poster or because the topic has devolved into behavior that requires moderation intervention and further discussion is halted. When admin actions are taken such as deleted comments there is no public discussion. Unfortunately there is no easy way to remove a single comment and not unnecessarily remove comments that do not warrant removal. These sorts of moderating actions are considered private matters with the poster. The administrative actions are efforts by the team to to uphold our Terms of Service and Our Values and to keep our community a safe and warm place for everyone.

3 Likes

I understand and completely respect decisions to lock topics that have been made based on the criteria Brian_BSC outlined above. But reading “controversial” (for lack of a better term) posts have been valuable in showing me examples of what is considered to have crossed beyond the grey area of “not so nice” to unacceptable…

I think a certain, outspoken, closed minded member may have closed their account as their posts came up as anonymous then we’re gone later… To the mods, I agree with you fully, can’t give someone to much leash to the point they feel it is ok to bully the rest of forum.

Ah, I thought so. That answers my question.

Bullying is not OK and I’m glad this Forum has zero tolerance for it.

i think what i’ll do is that i’ll reintroduce interesting (but not offensive) points of discussion that were starting to emerge in what came to be locked discussions. it is true that even though i try to have a tough skin, i have been turned off to tudiabetes because of a commenter putting me down for in a way not being diabetic enough to comment. that happened a year ago when i first came to tudiabetes, and the exchange did make me leave for a while. so i do see the need to moderate discussions. but we all need to be able to take some crap, too (i did manage to find my way back here). that’s what big boys and girls do. and definitely if you have been participating in the internet for years as i have, you learn more and more to search for good ideas even when they may come out of nasty discussions.

1 Like

Good points, v_prediabetic.

My skin is growing thicker by the day. Not entirely a bad thing.

1 Like