What is the most ridiculous comment you have heard about diabetes?

… me too …

That I am crazy.

When a casual friend found out that I had diabetes, she told me that a mutual friend of ours had REAL diabetes. The differentiation she was trying to make was between type 1 and type 2.

The funny thing is she assumed that the mutual friend was a type 1 because she used insulin. Well, the person of whom she spoke is a type 2 so I guess it is insulin that makes diabetes REAL?

I guess I graduated to REAL diabetes when I started using insulin.

“Why are you a diabetic. You have never been fat!”
Now the silly part is that I am not a T1 but just a not fat T2 which confuses people more.

I think its the bass player.

Ok @arnoldmoyers , your going to have to explain.

2 Likes

I was told that at a certain age, what this magical age was they never told me, my juvenile onset/type 1 would become type 2! When I asked why would I become a type 2. She said because only kids have juvenile onset/type 1 diabetes.

After laughing, I spent 10 minutes trying to explain the difference between the two type of diabetes. But it didn’t matter to her. Not even after her husband was diagnosed as a type 2. But then, he was OLD

1 Like

The latest trend here in South Carolina is “medical firms” advertising on TV that you can come to one of their dinner seminars and they will tell you how you can be cured of your type 2 diabetes so that you will no longer have to take dangerous drugs like metforman and insulin.

I go to a lot of game nights to play games with friends, usually at restaurants or coffee shop type places. I know some of them pretty well by now, although the game nights are still usually the only place I see them. There was one time when I had a seizure (from a seizure disorder I have, not my Type 1) while there. We all care about each other, so they (including the server, who even though she doesn’t get to play the games with us, often gets to spend some talking to use, and we consider her an important friend) did what they could to help me. Everything worked out, and I was fine afterwards. But a number of the people in the group have become somewhat paranoid about me since then, if they leave early they are sometimes cautious about leaving me there (it’s a public restaurant, not out in the cold rain!). I appreciate my friends caring about me, but sometimes I wish they would relax a little. But the most hilarious thing I ever heard one of them say to me was when I was looking at my insulin pump. I had just come from eating dinner, so my numbers were coming down (like they should) from the food. But the one person saw the graph, and said “Are you OK?” and I asked why, and they said they saw the line going down on my pump. Always interesting to see other people’s reaction to certain things…

A friend of mine has a cat that has been diagnosed with Diabetes, and they once asked me for advice about it. I obviously started by saying that I can tell them some of the stuff I do and why, but taking care of an animal is very different from taking care of a human (especially since I am somebody that has never been an animal person or had a pet in my life). Very interesting the ways people expect you to apply the stuff you know!

Although not a comment from an individual, one thing that often annoys me is when advertisements (including ones on TV) for CGM claim that “finger sticks will be a thing of the past”. We may not need to do them as often, but we still need to do calibrations. I also wonder what many of the people that are actually tricked into falling for these ads think of the taping process (or, more accurately, the tape removal process). But if I were able to still have CGM without finger sticks or without tape removal, I would happily choose to keep the finger sticks and get rid of the tape. In my mind, “finger sticks will be a thing of the past” should be considered false advertising.

I lived with a girl for the first year and a half of college. The first year was good, and I mostly kept my blood sugars to myself. The second year my stress levels went up and I ended up in dka less than a month after starting my semester. My friends and I met a cute boy who was also a type 1 diabetic shortly after. My roommate turns to this guy, and asks with a sneer, “do you get ketones? Because Becky gets ketones all the time.” The poor guy looks at me helplessly, and I just say, “when I get stressed, I get ketones super easily.” He gave me s sympathetic look and tried to move on, but this b**** refused to drop it. She insisted she had been discussing my care with her doctor mother who worked at the va, and that everything I did was wrong. For several months after that she made my life a living hell, increasing my stress, and sending me to the hospital 3 more times. I was young, and wanted to avoid confrontation, but eventually I told her to stick her advice where the sun don’t shine, and moved out. She still insisted her advice was “for my own good” and “because she cared”. I haven’t spoken to her in over a decade, and in all that time I haven’t gone into dka again (touch wood). I learned that it’s best to just remove myself from such toxic situations.

I get that all the time. “But you’re so thin,” and “but you eat so healthy.”

1 Like