What is your current Lantus dosage?

I wonder why do doctors use the back and forth method of meds on their patients?

I take 30 units of lantus in the AM. It used to be at night before bed. I am finding Im having several lows so I kinda adjust it to see what works. Sometimes I take 20 units or 26.

hey cupcake;
what’s your sliding scale. thanks pieceofpie

62 units as bolus for overnight.

Hi Lisa…

First Lantus is not a bolus insulin. Lantus is a BASAL, or long lasting background insulin.

A bolus insulin is a faster, shorter acting insulin one takes with meals and some take it with snacks as well.

Many many people get basal and bolus confused… I keep it straight by thinking BASAL = BASE.

Gomer

Generally, I take what I want. Doc has no reference for me to start because of my normal a1c. I worked up to 5 units in the AM each day with no results yet.

Currently on I am 56 units of lantus at 10pm and on about 115 units of humalog daily to cover carbs…

"I take what I want. Doc has no reference for me to start because of my normal a1c."

Pease explain?

WHY are you taking any insulin if your a1c is "NORMAL"?

Gomer

My post meal blood sugars can easily rise into the 200's to nearly 300.

Doc didn't like that so put me on insulin as a mealtime bolus back in August 2010.

Weather affects my blood sugars too. A LOT.

I take what I want because neither the doc nor myself can anticipate what my activity levels will be post meal. Sure I have lows from time to time, but that's better than highs. I can fix lows quickly. Highs I can't.

If I know I will be eating something high carb and not exercising afterward, I take a good guess as to how much to take. I calculated my ISF to be about 16.67g of carbs per unit on average, Double that if I am very sedentary after eating, little or NONE if I will be highly active after eating.

Problem is that I have a completely random lifestyle that cannot change for anything.

My a1c is normal because I can control any number I choose. I know how to make my a1c lower even with spikes. But it is too much of a chore to do so. My quality of life is significantly diminished. Eat then exercise until eating then exercising then so forth is no life at all. That is being a slave to the disease.

I refuse to take any pills. I hate taking pills, even vitamins.

Most times I take either 5,8, or 10 units with a meal. I try not to take any if I can help it.

Last night I ate dinner. Took 8 units of Novolog right before eating. 2 1/2 hours later my BS spiked to 240.

That's because I sat on my butt afterward vegetating. I can't go out after dark because of the high crime area I live in unless I drive somewhere. Can't exercise inside because neighbors will complain about noise.

Initially doc wanted me to bolus like this: 1ui from BS of 150-200 2 ui from 200-250 and so forth.

That is like closing the barn door after the horse got away. So I started taking the estimated amount at mealtime. For the most part it helps, but not always.

Sometimes I plan on doing nothing after eating. Then get a call out of the blue and have to leave and do something strenuous. My blood sugar can plummet into the 30's or 40's easily.

I can fix that too, in exactly 12 minutes.

In the mid to late spring time I don't need anything. I burn off blood sugars very easily by gardening.

When it's hot or cold my activity is diminished and as a result, blood sugars rise quickly.

Lately my FBS has been steadily creeping up due to inactivity. And so is my blood pressure. But it's all within the normal range at the moment.

Doc still cannot tell me what kind of type 2 diabetes I have. She said I was not insulin resistant.

But by definition, I am a type 2 diabetic, NIDDM but they aren't sure what's causing it.

Any 2 hour PP of over 200 means you are diabetic.

Here are my a1c's over the past year:

6.8 (onset Dx, OGTT was 294@ 2hr PP)

Do you need further explanation? Just let me know please.

60 units before bed. plus 20 units of novolog before every meal.

Hi Yvonne, did you get your basal (L) & boluses (H) figured out? I see this thread started over 6 months ago.

76 units each night at bedtime

20 units!

Newly diagnosed my current dosage is 22 units at 9pm. When I was admitted into the hospital my blood glucose level was over 900. Guess I am lucky to be alive and very thankful it is treatable.

30 Units at bedtime. 20 if my numbers are low (100 & under) at bedtime.

my dosage of Lantus is 15 units at night

Anywhere from 6-14 U in the morning (I adjust this daily based on recent phisical activity level). When I am taking a lower dosage Lantus won’t last all day so I will add 2U of NPH before bed so that I don’t wake up high.

30 units every night before bedtime

Yeah, me too. My endo said not to get comfortable because I'll need more eventually. I was on 10 units for the last 3 months but just got bumped up to 12 and switched to morning dosage.

Lantus will make you hungry at least it does me I want to go back to Levimere. It seems I am ok and eat a smaller dinner than I ever have in years, but two hours later I am starving and yes some of it is in the head but my stomach is actually growling. I did not eat anything one night and in the morning I felt so sick and my bgl spiked so I have started to eat a little this seems to work much better. Ask your doctor about taking metformin 500mg and Byetta .5 both twice a day as I am told that Byetta will curve you appitite and then maybe a low dose of lantus if needed. In the morning you should eat something this will start up your system because it can be confused as to what time it is and create that hunger at night. Let me know how it comes out.