What is your Diabetes Tip?

The best book out there, by far, is called UNDERSTANDING DIABETES by Dr. H. Peter Chase MD, 11th Edition.
You can order it online by going to www.childrensdiabetesfdn.org
It is published by the Children’s Diabetes Foundation in Denver, but it covers all of Type I diabetes (not just for kids!)

Wear your diabetes proud. If you have successfully managed a disease that can easily kill you - you are one tough cookie. Be proud of your accomplishment, your fortitude, your discipline.

1 Like

Lots of great cover-all-the-bases suggestions! I won’t repeat them, but just add a couple of my own:

Write down the carb counts in your recipe books so you don’t have to recalculate every time you use the recipe.

Explore and find diabetes-friendly foods you really enjoy! Stop thinking of unhealthy foods as desireable and yummy and healthy ones as boring.

Ok, I will repeat one. I second the importance of a support system, whether it’s TuDiabetes, a realtime support group of other people with diabetes, or just having important people in your life that understand and love you.

Read “Think Like a Pancreas: A Practical Guide to Managing Diabetes with Insulin” and know you not alone in this challenge, Don’t let any medical professional scar you, tell you they know w/o explaining, blame you for you numbers or not answer your questions completely.

Read, learn and listen.

Great Suggestions! Here is a tip of the day. Call and make an appointment with your eye Doctor for your annual exam.

Go ahead get the phone number and pick up the phone. After you done with the appointment tell yourself, “Good Job, I am self managing my diabetes”. Let us know if everything was OK.

Dave, I took your suggestion. I ordered my book today. Thanks for your suggestion. When I am done with it i will probably donate to my local Library.

don’t use your diabetes as an excuse for anything. I’ve been T1 for 50 years with no complications; covered wars in Iraq and other places, every presidential campaign since 1988 and a bunch more challenging assignments. i currently work as a white house correspondent which means very weird hours and travel and high intensity days. through it all i’ve never told anyone i’m diabetic. only my wife, kids and parents know.
as for specifics … i don’t eat sugary foods or sweets; can’t buy into idea that Ds can eat whatever they want, whenever they want. the reality is different. the lower your TDD the better your control. i eat to the number always. if it’s 10 am and i’m 70, lunch is served. if it’s noon and i’m 170, i wait.

i don’t have a d bag. i have one meter that goes with me most places. i have a pump. that’s it. i’ve never bought or used glucagon or glucotabs. if i’m low i eat a granola bar. never had a seizure or been incapacitated by a high or a low.
i pay very close attention to my body and i test a lot.

that’s it … my recipe for success. it’s worked for 50 years and i guarantee i’m healthier than 99 percent of people on the street.

1 Like

I have lots of gluco tabs, extra strips, lancets, carried 2 meters for awhile but my purse weighed a ton. Forgive yourself when you have a bad BG day. Test frequently and keep a log. This web site is really great, there’s always someone who can answer your questions, and I ask a lot of questions!

Read - Understand - Challenge - Elevate
Read Everything

I agree with Stephen - Read (and use as a reference) books like “Think Like a Pancreas: A Practical Guide to Managing Diabetes with Insulin”

Understand and Elevate

Use this as an opportunity to change your life for the better.
Learn more about how your body works (Carbs , Proteins, Fibre etc.)and understand how it applies to you and what you need to do. Now you have a good reason to “just eat better”.
See an Endo for expert advice . BUT - Its only one person’s opinion - everyone is very different so challenge your doctor!

Challenge to Understand

I personally like to find little know products or studies on the Web (preferably from other countries) before my appointment and take them in as a list of questions. Just a little bit of fun I have… Now my endo never walks in with less than 3 “in training” young doctors.
e.g. What factors change the metabolization rate of Lantus? ( I don’t really care about the answer but it changes the tone of the discussion so you don’t get “talked down to” and you can have a conversation not a lecture)

Thank you for that post! It gives me a lot of hope. My son was diagnosed with type 1 January 8, 2010 he is 14 years old. So I felt a sense of relief reading this. Thanks again!

Measuring out portions for some foods helps avoid consuming more calories than you need, and more carbs than you need. Drink a lot of water, regularly, an do not underestimate it’s power. Having a red wine based vinaigrette every once in a while, with salad, can help bring down blood sugars, as well as a good walk around the neighborhood after a meal. Avoid a lot of processed foods, as these usually have tons of extra sugar, salt, and fat, to preserve, or improve flavor… Yes, even the so called ‘healthy ones’ like Lean Cusine (tends to have 31% more calories than they claim on the labels), or Weight Watchers, etc. When you cook at home, you usually can eat more of a portion size, and feel more fulfilled, anyway. By basic products that come without sugar, like baker’s chocolate, or some of the peanut butters, and you can add your own form, at home, like Stevia. Do not avoid all fats. You need Omega-3’s in your diet to improve levels of good cholesterol, and help lower bad cholesterol. There are supplements out there for these. If you need to lose weight, don’t focus so much on how fast you can lose it, but on how well you are feeling from day to day, how satisfied with your meal plan, and how your blood sugars are doing. This helps create longer lasting lifestyle changes. :slight_smile:

Never give up, educate yourself, do what works for you, dont beat yourself up, start all over when you need to. Most of all…Live, laugh and love.

Buy or make a snarky diabetes t-shirt.

When you’ve had it “up to here” with the food police, the annoying tales of how Aunt Gladys lost her leg to diabetes, and being put on hold with an insurance company, put on your shirt, smile to yourself, and keep on keepin’ on with your life.

Go, Joe!!!

Just reading this response. “Wear your diabetes proud. If you have successfully managed a disease that can easily kill you - you are one tough cookie. Be proud of your accomplishment, your fortitude, your discipline.”

I agree!

my suggestions may be unconventional but i’ve been T1 for 50 years and have zero complications and a fantastic life.
– i don’t care what docs and experts say, Ds can’t eat sugary food whenever they want. i’ve cut most from my diet and have no regrets. our bodies are broken afterall. even if you pour insulin on by the gallon, eating without thinking doesn’t work. which leads me to …
– eat to the number. if it’s 10:30 and i’m 70, lunch is served. if it’s 1 pm and i’m 170, i don’t eat.
– i watch total daily dose carefully. when i’m around 30 units a day my control is great. (this ties in with the eating advice).
– exercise.
– don’t be afraid. i have told no one in 50 years i’m diabetic. only my wife, kids and doc know. yet, i assume i can do anything that doesn’t involve eating. i’ve covered several wars; i lived in the back of a van in new orleans for weeks after katrina. i ref college soccer. my control is good. therefore i assume any option is open to me.

Experiment, and find absolutely every way you can, to make foods that you love, and enjoy

I love yours Joes not lame at all,some other great tips to.
Mine is keeping a diary of your readings as well as your insulin intakes that way you can look back at the differences as well as not take extra insulin as I have read someone saying she forgot she took her bolus and then took it again by mistake,I mean its hard enough without making things harder.
Carry your meter with you at all times because you never know when you might need it and always let people know about your condition so they can help you if you need it.

The weather is getting better and soon we will be out and about. The best 3 tips I received when diagnosed were:

1. Always keep a low blood sugar prevention kit in the car with you, If you are stuck in traffic, the car breaks down, etc… you will have enough food on you for a couple of small meals, nuts, canned chili, canned pop top fruit, canned juice, those lil peanutbutter or cheese crackers etc. Remember to rotate out the 1st of every month to keep stuff fresh… in hot weather put your stuff inside the car not the trunk, and in a thick container…the thick styrofoam container I get my insulin shipped to me in works well. I do keep a bunge cord around it.
  2. If you are out hiking, biking, etc… carry in a fanny pack or back pack, carbs, carbs, and more carbs, and some protein i.e., Jiff puts out a small individual sizes peanut butter container now… works great, peanuts, almonds, include juices. KNOW ABOVE ALL ELSE how to treat a low blood sugar and with what and how long it takes to work and how much you need to keep going. Got stuck in the bottom of a series of falls out hiking, like to have died getting out of there. Took lots of protein and no carbs… 45 min to work… the lil bit of carb I had on hand I burned out of fast.
  3. NEWBIES: best education advice I ever got. Stay on a strick diabetic food regimen 6 days a week. On the 7th day rest, sound familiar, eat what you want… you will over do the first few times…but you will feel so lousy the next day that you will automatically moderate your indulgences. In time your 7th day will resemble your 6 day week it will be difficult to tell the difference. We all like to feel good. It helped me alot.

Is there an adult camp anywhere???