What is Your Max Basal Rate?

This is a total "I'm just curious" question, but for type 1s on the pump, what is the MAX basal rate you require at any given time throughout the day. I'm a petite woman (about 130 lbs, in great shape/health other than this lazy pancreas thing, generally pretty insulin-sensitive) and, for the most part, rarely require a basal rate above 0.4 u/H. However, there's a period in the middle of my day on days when I'm at work (about 4 hours or so) where I need to up my basal rate to 0.7 u/H and sometimes even higher!! Sometimes I'll have it set at 0.7 and have to still do a temp basal increase to fight off numbers in the mid-200s or higher. I am pretty certain this is mostly due to general stress that comes with any job, as the pattern is VERY predictable and only occurs on days that I'm in the office. Having a basal rate even close to 1 u/H seems absurd, but it got me thinking about what some other people use for basal rates.

My own basal rates range from .375 to .500, but I don't have the variation in activity or in stress you report. My own personal feeling is "it takes what it takes" and if a pattern of highs at a certain time indicate more basal is needed, so be it!

I am 53, 125 pounds. Mine range from .3 to .45 but I sometimes need a temp basal of .55 since I have hit this point of my life.

Wow, mine is a lot higher. But over the years I think I developed some insulin resistance and it can’t help that I gained 25 lbs in the last year. Mine ranges from 0.975 to 1.1 from 5 am to ten when my sugars go high no matter what I do. Until I got the Pump, I would just take Novolog to cover about 25 g of carbs I didn’t eat and was afraid to eat breakfast at all. It’s ok when I wake up and then there’s a spike.

I’m 48, 5’9" and currently weigh, sadly, 180 lbs. Honesty is painful

I range from 1.05 to 1.3 units per hour

Note: 26 year old woman with normal BMI.

I have some insulin resistance (or so my CDE insists)

I usually run about .85U/hr but have a basal bump in the AM. Lately DP has me inching it up and it’s crept up from .95 to 1.1U, and it’s still being bothersome but I’m on vacation this week and forgot more sensors. Oops! Off to Disneyland!

5'10", 165

My max is .50 u/h to deal with dawn phenomenon. My low is .3 u/h a couple hours after I go to bed.

Hi:

My max is .1, and minimum is .05. I am very insulin sensitive and very small (5"2, 100 lbs.) Unfortunately, I could use a .025 at times, but the OmniPod doesn't go that low.

Sue

I'm new to pumping but my basal rates range from 0.65 to 0.75 right now. I'm still trying to find the right balance to fight the dawn phenomenon so I may be bumping up the 0.65 again.

I'm still trying to learn how to time the temp basals. I've used it a couple of times randomly for short periods of time to fight off rising numbers that were passing 200 but I wasn't sure that's really how I was supposed to use the temp basal function. It seemed to work though although once it brought me a little low. Still learning here :)

You usually have to figure at least a two hour delay in basal impact. So if you are experiencing lows at 3PM you'd want to change your rate for 1PM. I would think for sudden highs you notice, it's a lot more effective to do a correction bolus using your ISF.

I'm overweight and also somewhat insulin resistant. My basal rates right now range from 0.800 to 1.175. However, due to hormonal cycles I have about half of each month where I need to up all my basal rates by about 0.2 u/hr, so during those times my rates range from 1.000 to 1.375 (and all my other ratios need to be raised, too)!

I also use temporary basal rates fairly frequently, so my actual variation is wider than what I list above. I use a lower basal rate if I exercise or am more active than usual, and a higher basal rate if I'm hormonal, stressed, sick and/or have bad allergies, or eat most any kind of restaurant food!

In responce to your question My Max basal rate is 1.5. My basal rates are adjusted during a 24 hour period from .65 to 1.2. My last A1c was 5.9 in Dec 2011. I have been diabetic since 1966 at age 3 and now 49yo. I live alone in Philadelphia PA with 2 dogs I also suffer from Multiple Sclerosis. I have been on pump for over 4 years. I am 6'1 179lbs down from 230 5 years ago. I am on Novolog insulin

I'm 27 (almost 28) and 5'10" at 145lbs and I require anywhere between 1.2 in the late evening to early morning and 1.5 the rest of the day. I also have a slight insulin resistance as well.

My max is 0.25 early morning for DP, lowest is 0.125.

Currently my pump is set at 1.75 units per hour 24 hours a day..my carb ratio is 1:8

The only time I've done a temp basal for a short time so far is when I had a persistent stubborn high that I'd already done 2 correction boluses for. The temp basal bump seemed to knock it loose so to speak. I was a little hesitant to try it but I was super frustrated at not coming down. My early a.m. rate is still being tweaked because of DP.

Mine ranges from .6 to 1.1 over 24 hours. TDD ends up around 36 units of Novolog.
I am 44 yrs old 6' and 180 lbs. In good shape. Run and cycle for exercise.

Best Regards ,Mike

Mine range from 0.225 to 0.6 - the latter used overnights to combat dawn phenonomon.

Mine ranges from 1.10 to 1.50 I feel like mine is pretty high compared to everyone else.. I'm 5'2 120lbs been type1 for 21yrs...