What kind of geek are you?

Hey everyone, I just stumbled across this group. Hope it’s ok if I join!

I don’t do any programming at all. I’m tech support, primarily Macintosh. (And very prejudiced towards my Mac babies yes I am.) I have experience in both Windows and Mac OS, but I do love my apples.

I can do the website design stuff too, but it’s not my cuppa. lol

Anyway, glad to be here among fellow geeks. waves

~Kelly

I’m a geek with no programming skills whatsoever. Although I have to admit that I “nerd out” when it comes to electronics and the like.

That makes me tick! :slight_smile:

As for me, I am an Electrical Engineer originally: I used to dive deep into assembly level programming for a while and loved it… towards the end of my undergrad work, I became exposed to Signal Processing and Audio Compression and loved it: those where the days when the word MP3 was not a popular term (MPEG-1 Audio Layer 3 was the way we referred to it). My undergrad thesis had to do with the implementation of the Cosine Transform and Huffman Compression to an existing code base for MPEG Audio: it was my C-language baptism.

Then I came to the use for grad work and was introduced to the web… HTML, CGI and JavaScript first… and though I spent the next four years doing Electrical Engineer work at Procter & Gamble, the web stayed my true passion. So in 2000 I came back and, since then, I’ve only been doing web-related work: content management, community management, product management, project management, IT management, etc.

The last time I had to throw a REAL line of code was back in 2003. Since then, it’s been mostly basic HTML and a focus on product, content and community development.

That was long! :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m a web programmer (php mysql object orientated). Funny how being diabetic has made me much more aware of accessibility issues on websites!

Also Anime/SciFi Geek + Bookworm.

I’m more of a wannabe geek.

I run a website, and I made it all myself, but I stumbled through it as I never really learnt HTML. Plenty of advice on the web and footling around as I went, and it’s worked well enough :smiley:

I like computers - building them, fixing them, spending too much time on them… My friends & family call me when there’s a problem and it’s quite an ego boost to be able to tinker with something and make it work again :slight_smile:

I just love toys! Whether it’s a video camera or a BG meter, it’s all buttons & beeps to me and I like to learn about what makes them tick and how I can play with them. Even as a kid I was always pulling things apart and trying to make them better / faster / broken piles of bits that sat around forever waiting for me to put them back together… hehehe

I think I’d probably call myself a wannabe geek too. I’m a second level internet helpdesk tech and a dedicated Mac user too.

Currently Java (for GUI/Database access) and C++ for high-speed processing, data acquisition, and control. I’m pretty much stuck in Windows because of my customers. I also occasionally do some embedded software and systems level design.

In past lives: Fortran, Ada, Assembly, Basic, Pascal, VMS, Unix, SEL (anyone ever heard of that?), etc.

I’m an ancient geek. Been workign with the damn things for 27 years now! Started life in BASIC on an Apple II and a Commodore PET. Went on to do all sorts of stuff. COBOL on minis through to hardware design and PLMxx and ASM/xx Was big on Transputers, if anyone remembers them; I even wrote TransDOS. LOL.

Unix stuff too. I had a Sun 3/260 when that was a real beast. A pair of 500MB Fujitsu Eagle drives that nearly broke your back if you tried to lift them.

I now do technician stuff and web design/hosting. I still write a bit of software too. Delphi is my preferred dev tool, I can’t stand the MS IDE. Build and sell machines too.

Thinking about it - ancient geek is about right, particularly from the PC point of view. I was around for the birth of them!

Another “ancient geek” here. I started out writing assembly language code for IBM’s System 370 based email database program in 1980 and also did a lot of work with a never-released to the public interpreter language that was the precursor of REXX.

After that I worked in most of the old mainframe environments. I learned C but never felt motivated to write software in it, but driven by need I have written a bunch of perl scripts for my own web sites. A few years ago I fell in love with PHP and I’ve written quite a lot of fairly complex server side stuff using it. It really lends itself to using a lot of tricks that I learned in the bad old days when you did all your own indexing and didn’t rely on databases. It amazes me the way I never get tired of writing software!

I feel very strongly that my background in debugging very large, complex, poorly documented systems gave me the mindset I needed to figure out diabetes. I pretty much have had to treat what doctors tell me the way you treat most manuals. Possibly helpful, but don’t trust anything you haven’t checked out on your own system. And the only way to really understand how things work is to change one thing, observe, draw a conclusion, test the conclusion, and very slowly work your way towards understanding the effects that the different changes you make have.

I am more of a dabbler than an expert.

Started with COBOL and Pascal and now do mostly VB, VBA, and Windows script (or VBscript). However, I generally do not do much coding.

I have done my share of sysadmin stuff on HPUX and SunOS. And System Admin for Lawson Insight Financials. As well as Oracle DBA support for financial applications.

Cognos, Crystal Report, et al

Now I mostly do Business Analysis and Project Management.

Jack

I do audio and video work mostly, but I’m learning to use Catalyst Framework to make web databases. I’m a big fan of Unices and networking, plus I’m a mobile junkie, Palm especially.

Don’t laugh (or, if you are young geek of the new generation go "huh???) I first learned programming in Basic, GOTO Line 10. RUN. Then onto C+ (no, it’s not a grade) then wow C++! Anyone here remember the days of Lotus 123 & Symphony when you got to call yourself a programmer for creating macros?

I am a self-taught geekette thanks to “For Dummies” books in HTML, PHP and Javascript (which I can prove by the wrinkles on my face from debugging in the early “me still dummy” days). I now know enough to know I don’t know enough but I still love it and feel geek-qualified j…u…s…t enough to proudly wear my oversized t-shirt that says: “Programming - Turning caffeine into code.” Well, I did wear it until my kids hid it from me and lovingly replaced it with “Go have a nice day somewhere else” (sort of my response when they interrupt me at work or my BG drops below 60). But sadly, that shirt too mysteriously went “missing” the first time I laundered it. Go figure.

I’m with Kris on this one. I do A/V work, but I program AMX systems. They’re basically “fancy, expensive” touch panels that control a “rich” person’s audio, video, heating, lighting, security, etc. So, the language I deal with is called NetLinx, sort of a derivitive of C# in my opinion. I dabble here and there with C# making little applications that probably only get used once by me, then get put on the back burner.

Hi !
My geek-ines is mostly centered on Java (GUI/Db/ little JSP), but I am quite good programmer in some other languages: C# mainly since in last two years most of my official work is in that, but from previous occupation C++/C and quite good knowledge of other OSes: FreeBSD, Linux, OS/2 (that one was really good, but then IBM started installing Windows on their computers…)…

Thats all for now…
Andz

you are such a geek manny!

if i had to write my geekette bio, it would sound exactly like yours! add - part of the creation team at Citicorp that created the software that developed Interstate Banking. Moving off of humongous tape drives. This was in 1987!

It’s been a while since I’ve done any real programming, except for the occasional Matlab program in the research labs I’m in at school now. I’ve also had experience in Maple, C++, Visual Basic, Python, and a bit of webpage design.

A few of my friends also claim that I “carry around more gagets than James Bond,” which is why I joined more than anything. Aside from the pump and meter, I’ve also usually got my mp3 player, PDA\cellphone, my laptop, and sometimes my PSP.

Boy am I going to date myself on this one… Here’s a list of the programming languages I’ve used to write at least one piece of production code in, in the order I last used them. I’ll start with the current ones so I don’t feel so old:

Java
Adobe Flex (ActionScript 3.0)
PHP
C++
C
JSP
Python
C#
Perl
Cobol
370 Assembler
Focus 4GL
Mark 4
DEC VAX Assembler
Pascal
Basic

Oh the humanity.

Open source, Unix, PHP and long, complicated MySQL queries. I need to learn some Java or C++ as soon as I can get around to it. :stuck_out_tongue:

Cisco, network security, and VoIP geek by trade.

Consumer electronic and video game geek for fun.