What Our Kids Are Thinking

I just read a post by Andreina, and it reminded me of when my daughter was young and I also worried that she would develop diabetes. There were some funny moments!

When E. was 5 and getting ready to start school, she overheard a first grader friend talking about having a “test” in school the next day. Suddenly, her excitement about starting school was gone. At home, she asked “Does everyone have to take tests in school?” It took awhile to sink in—Mom always had to “test”, and E. wanted no part of that!

On her 14th birthday, E. gave me a big hug, and said, “That was the scariest year of my life!” When asked why, she explained that, even though she knew people got diabetes at all ages, getting through the year that I was diagnosed represented a major step for her. I never thought I made my diabetes seem bad or even consequential, but kids are way more aware of what is going on than we realize!

Interesting. I have no kids of my own, but lots in my life – I’m teach middle school music. In an effort to really deal with my diabetes (and be in better control), I’ve been openly testing in front of the kids.My 6th graders love to “test!” They know by the result if I need a snack or a correction. I discovered that I have one student who is a T1 and she thinks it’s pretty cool to know a “grown-up” with diabetes.

I have a new nephew (the world’s cutest nephew ever) and I do find myself constantly worrying if he will developt it (the big D). I don’t know if my sister thinks about it at all; we’ve never discussed it, but i do worry.

I am finding that being more “out” about my diabetes isn’t the weird/frustrating experience that I expected. I test a lot in public and sit down when I need to when I’m working to eat something, do corrections more easily. Sometimes I wonder if it’s harder to be diagnosed when we’re older, or easier - we have an identity that isn’t solely revolving around our disease, but it’s harder to adjust to all the changes when it isn’t part of the routine. Tough call… what do you think?