What Parents of T1 Children Need to Know .- Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes University

Well - low carb might have been the first line of defense but it wasn’t particularly effective. They didn’t give Banting and Macleod the Nobel Prize for nothing.

Maurie

4 Likes

I’m pretty sure no one is bagging insulin. You might like to google the Banting diet. You may be surprised what this other brainy guy thought.
But again, if your BG doesn’t roller coaster with spikes and hypos and you’re normal weight, why change anything, it’s working for you.

If it does have a look on the true grit site. New ones are showing their CGM charts for a month with no hypos or high spikes

Of course no one is bagging insulin and if going low carb helps someone I have no complaints. I was responding - perhaps a bit snidely - to the implication that low carb was in any way a successful strategy for responding to Type 1 before the discovery of insulin.

Maurie

3 Likes

I don’t think so! Our species evolved in Africa and only radiated out of that continent within the last 50,000 years. Our ancestors would have been omnivorous and their diet would probably have most likely resembled that of present day hunter gatherers like the Kalahari Bushmen. It would have included fruits, grains, roots and vegetables (all sources of complex carbs) as well as meat (tracking down and killing an animal would have taken a major effort).

Areas where low carb diets based almost exclusively on hunting are the norm, such as that of Inuit, would have been populated only fairly recently. There are now some fairly convincing hypotheses that suggest that the very high incidence of Type 2 Diabetes associated with genotypes from certain areas (e.g. Inuit, Some Pacific Islanders) is a recent adaptation to living in areas where periodic starvation was the norm.

Joel

I’ll try to figure out a recipe for gluten-free Twinkies for you, Eric…

1 Like

jack16, I appreciate the info and links. Most cases of seizure disorder do not respond to diet alone, however. The majority of people with seizure disorders will still require AEDs (anti epileptic drugs).

Absolutely— but before the advent of modern agriculture (quite recent in the grand scheme) any of these sources of carbohydrates were almost certainly a smaller portion of a typical diet— also these natural sources of complex carbs are quite different from the typical sources of highly processed grain based carbohydrates that make up the majority of the typical ‘modern’ diet’s foundation of carbohydrates.

In what looking back now strikes me as quite an irony-- I used to earn my living shipping thousands of tons of USAID grain to Africa. Apparently they can’t grow their own there.

1 Like

Before agriculture was invented – around 10,000 years ago, give or take – grains were a very minor element in the diet.

3 Likes

no need to,.

i already found, a recipe, for gluten-free, Pumpkin, Caramel Flan,. let see how, much i can eat,.

All that grain aid is making them diabetic

turning their diet from low carb to high carb isn’t given as a reason. They are partly being blamed as sloths, it won’t be long before they are labeled gluttons too…if only they ate less and exercised…sounds familiar?

1 Like

Luckily the T1 kids don’t have to be as strict or even need to go as low. On the typical 50-55% carbs, I think even a 10-20% reduction will see a difference.

With epilepsy, keto is not supposed to cure, just reduce the epilepsy fits, although some reduced their meds and some have been able to stop their meds on keto. As per my link that was posted above and here. What Is the Ketogenic Diet for Epilepsy?

Epilepsy, with frequent seizures, can cause brain damage or death. Some kids have ten seizures or more a day… you bet I would try a ketogenic diet. There is a medical marijuana which was formulated which does not get you high because it is genetically modified and strong in one particular compound while the compound which gets you high is not in that particular strain. It’s called “Charlottes.” After the little girl the strain was created for. This will stop seizures a lot more effectively than the ketogenic diet. I believe it is given in liquid form with a medicine dropper. But my girl, diagnosed at 8, ate 180 grams a day until the teenage years when she stopped growing. That’s 60 grams a meal, but she broke it up into meals and snacks. A child is a human being who is capable of letting you know how she would feel eating a low carb diet. I can tell you right now, she would not cooperate even if I was fool enough to try to foist such extreme views on her. And her endo would have a thing or two to say about the matter. A child with Type 1 has an pediatric endocrinologist and a dietician who will formulate her diet based on the foods she likes to eat, within moderation. A little junk food for treats but portion controlled. A healthy, normal diet. Adults with Type 1 are fully grown, do not have the same need for energy (carbs) that will effect growth. And often choose low carb diets which is fine. But a Type 1 adult does not know anything about childhood diabetes unless they had Type 1 as a child. Bernstein is verboten, basically, as far as children are concerned. Only a PEDIATRIC endocrinologist is qualified to treat Type 1 children. That is why there is a differentiation between Pedi endos and endos. P.S. If Afrezza gets approved for use in children, you bet those kids can eat whatever they want whenever they want with no ill effects… ill effects to their blood sugar that is. They still could get heart disease, become obese if they follow the typical American diet.

1 Like

I’ll take you views (sugars and starches carbs ) as an opinion. there is opposing science to that view, even if some endo also holds it

My 7yo is not diabetic. We eat low carb in our home, by choice. Mainly meats and veges. We have whole meals with no bread, potato, rice, corn, pasta or any other starch. The kids (3yo and 7 yo) eat some fruits, but not a lot. There are occasional treats, but i also bake low carb. There is no suffering in this way of eating and no-one goes hungry, and they are normal weight and growth. But it does take a change in mindset on what comprises a meal.

5 Likes

terry that may be because children have a higher % need of protein than adults, their fat % would be high though. perhaps he’s picking his battles, fat isn’t PC still. even though the ADA is going moderate to high fats as an alternative to low fat high carb

American diabetic association
Position Statement
http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/36/11/3821.full.pdf+html?with-ds=yes
"Evidence is inconclusive for an ideal amount of total fat intake for people with diabetes;
therefore, goals should be individualized; fat quality appears to be far more important than quantity.

In people with type 2 diabetes, a Mediterranean-style, MUFA-rich [mono fat-rich] eating pattern may benefit glycemic control and CVD risk factors and can therefore be recommended as an effective alternative to a lower-fat, higher-carbohydrate eating pattern."

I have no issue with adults also increasing their protein,

I haven’t had Twinkies in forever, thanks to Celiac. Back some decades and decades ago, my friend and I used to play hooky from school and eat Twinkies. Those days are long gone, but Katz’s Gluten Free cake donuts are really good. I like the Pumpkin Pie Spice, my husband (who can eat anything) likes the Triple Chocolate. One of these days I’ll try their glazed varieties. Because of Celiac, Lactose Intolerance and Diabetes, good eating is all about good substituting. Cheers!

I have never try them ! Iove my gluten-free flan.