What should I do? G5 or G6

Yes, that’s my understanding of the xmitter quantities also.

Yes, I have decided to go with the G5 and then upgrade to a G6. The latest I have heard from Dexcom is December for the G6. Thanks.

1 Like

I get a two pack for some reason. I didn’t ask for it to be this way, it just gets delivered in my 90 day supply.

Unless you’re using the Tandem X2, there’s really no difference between the G5 and G6.

1 Like

That would make sense for you if you get the G5 package later this month as transmitter life is about 105 days and at this time the forecast for Dexcom Medicare G6 is for no earlier than October 1, 2019 or expiration of your current sensor, whichever date is later. So figure you would get your first G6 package about 3 months after you get your G5 package if Dexcom is still on their current forecast.

I would also highly recommend that when you get your G6 package that you first consume all of your G5 sensors before starting on G6. That will allow you a buffer period for getting subsequent G6 supplies. Buffer periods are important as you don’t always get your next month subscription at a most convenient time. Delays in order, shipping, insurance verification, doctor notes, vacation schedules etc. can easily require an extra few days as you have read about from other posts.

Thanks CJ114 for all of the info. By the way, I think that your 100% time in range efforts are phenomenal.

Thank you but I will consider that a total win once I can at least partially do it on your diet. My favorite cheesecake is LCHF with 1.5 cups of blueberries/raspberries/blackberries on top for 10 servings and even that little amount of fruit sends my BG to 165 for about 90 minutes which is 15 over my top limit so for now only make it a few times a year for special family functions. I have worked like crazy with pre-bolus and stacking insulin 0.1 units at a time to get me under 150 for that sinfully deliciously desert but have not yet conquered it without following the high 165 with a low of 50 which 5 below my low limit. Arrrrg.

Our favorite dessert was a raspberry cheesecake which was wonderful. We would make it for celebrations maybe 2 times a year. That was the only fruit I remember eating in 11 yrs because my glucose levels would shoot up. The low fat part of my present diet made all of the difference. I still miss that cheesecake.

This is my nemesis, but would probably work fine for you. I add 2 cups of chia seeds to the cheese cake to keep my internal plumbing working properly.

I have a lot of other cheesecake recipes that work just fine, but fruits drive my BG numbers nuts.

Oh funny, it is very close to the Raspberry Delight we used to make. Now I can’t eat nuts, eggs or dairy. About the only thing I could now eat is the berries. The only reason I can eat the fruit is because I don’t eat the fat. If I didn’t have stents, believe me I would add some fat!

I am using the Freestyle Libre. When I renew my sensors I need to enter my last appointment date. I happened to be out of town for my first renewal and didn’t remember the date. Lesson learned. Also my CDE schedules me every 5 months so I fall within the 6 month range. I used to go 6 months. Other than that enjoy your CGM.

So what kind of hoops will Medicare make me jump through. I only use a GP and only go when I need blood tests or am ill. I have been treating my own diabetes for decades.

Does anybody know how much I would pay out of pocket to not use Medicare? I suppose then I could just go to Walgreens and buy a G6. I know that Costco sells Dexcom products too.

Totally out of pocket budget at least $6,500 per year. I believe that a box of 3 sensors alone (30 Days is about $500). Then you still have to buy the transmitter even if you use an approved phone rather than the Dexcom receiver.

If You have Medicare Part A&B you should have no out of pocket expense as Dexcom has to send you a monthly subscription which includes sensors, transmitter, lancets as well as a starter package which includes a contour next meter kit, initial transmitter, receiver, etc.

If you have a moment read my first post:

Hack Dexcom issues by doing this - Updated 8/2019

That should give you a lot of insight into the process. Let me know if you have any questions.

I have been checking around and do see sensors are available at a discount down to about $279 for pack of 3 G6 Sensors.so you may be able to shop around and get into this as self pay for as little about $5,000 all in with transmitters.

1 Like

Wonderful info. Thank you so much. I can probably handle this since it is only 2 times a year. We travel a lot and we don’t want to have to be where my doctor is located too often. This will be a new experience for my doctor too. I will also check with Costco and see what it would cost me to self pay there. I was hoping it would be more like $2,000, but it is obviously much more. Thank you for checking prices. Do you think it will too difficult for Dexcom to send supplies to two different addresses depending where we are at the time? They are both permanent addresses.

@Marilyn6 Dexcom has been able to send me packages anywhere I request - my home, my office, my boyfriend’s office, even my grandmothers house once when I was out of state visiting her and my transmitter failed.

1 Like

Dexcom is highly inflexible, especially with Medicare patients but they really shine when it comes to delivery. Your account remains at 1 residence but you can have your shipments go elsewhere. Personally I get my shipments delivered to my office as it is easy to find and there is always someone there to receive Dexcom supplies, when I am out of the country.

If you are going to go Dexcom direct, which I think will be the easiest for you unless you are in one of the areas Dexcom requires 3rd party providers, find out who will be your area Dexcom representative and have that representative deal with the bulk if not all the headaches with your doctor, Medicare insurance etc. Since it does not sound like your doctor’s office has an in-house Dexcom coordinator, rely heavily on the Dexcom Representative for your area. The area representatives for Dexcom are all physically located in Mexico but they are all nice people and want you to have a successful relationship with Dexcom.

1 Like

Another Medicare option would be Freestyle Libre (not G5), then G6 as soon as its available. No real time alarms, since libre must be scanned.

1 Like

You are best off, if at all possible only having 1 doctor. There is nothing in the rules that you can’t have multiple endos in different areas. The only issue is that getting doctor’s notes on time to Dexcom is one of the weakest points in their system. Dexcom needs to request the notes and then the doctor needs to send them, That means every time you change doctors, you need to advise Dexcom that you have another doctor from the last one. Dexcom is not 100% infallible in getting doctor notes on time so you would need to be very proactive if you are going to use more than 1 doctor.

Try goodrx website for some prices.

1 Like