What should we expect from clinics after a diabetes diagnosis?

Price fixing. Exactly. Ball-point pens come in a wide range of prices depending on maker, model, materials, etc. Ditto frying pans, tires and ear plugs.

Why should test strips all cost exactly the same?

Very hinky.

Very! Never seen anything as consistently priced brand to brand. Senate investigation sorely needed.

+3 well said Brunetta! The moderate if challenging goals sey by doctors who are supposed to be “in charge” can have serious consequences. My experience has been that I’m on my own. The doc is pleased my results are “great” but they are not transferrable or put into practice by any doctor I’ve run into.

I am familiar with Dr. Drexler. I go to UCLA for my treatment. Yes I would like more information! I do take insulin and I was never told to basal or bolus. I am learning about it now on my own.

I want still going to do a resource center.

Oh, acidrock23, you're not on your own. You've got all of us in the DOC walking the walk with you every step of the way.

Well...on second thought...I'll just rest here on this bench and save a place for y'all after your run, m'kay? :0)

But I'm with y'all in spirit, even if I can't keep up.

Unfortunately it's a familiar story, isn't it? I was started on Lantus by a primary and the endo stepped it up and added Novolog, but neither said anything about how to recognize or treat a hypo. Fortunately I'd read about it on the internet because my first full day on the Novo resulted in my first low. My first CDE said I could use 1:15 for my carb ratio (I needed 1:8) without looking at any logs.

I know I'm fortunate to have insurance and decent doctors, I really do, but it is hard to put it all together. There's so much to learn, the doctors don't seem to have time to provide enough information and the CDE seems more geared to basic nutrition and checklists while I want practical information on managing the insulin and BGs.

At this point I certainly wouldn't trust anybody else to manage this disease for me - there are way too many variables every day. But I'd think everybody needs a knowledgeable partner - whether CDE or doc - to be as successful as possible.

I friend requested you so I can send you the directions to the event. Also, I will RSVP for you if you are truly interested in attending.

Score one for you Alan! Nothing like a slap in the face with a cold fish to make them think! ... or not.

+ 1

Thanks for posting this Christalyn.

Thanks Gerri.

While understandable, and certainly a very reasonable view... the process is a tad more complex in many ways. Consider, if the diagnosis was/is on the basis of a single blood test... does that trigger the diabetic team (whatever their specific approach/bent) into "action"? Should it ?

How bout taking various and assorted blood tests over a couple of weeks time, or a few months? If the original result was not a mistake, a technical error, what approach do you begin with? Throw a net over someone and train them for a week, or a month ? Or do you let them alone and let their honeymoon period run its full course, and wait until there is no further question re: that initial diagnosis?

There are all kinds of methods, approaches that could be taken, which might slow the onset, or if really fortunate might prevent the disease from progressing at all. What approach should a medical professional take prey tell?

If you/I are a different kind of person, had a different temperaments, various approaches would meet with severe resistance, seething denial, or worse. How things are presented, the issues, the diagnosis will make a HUGE difference. And that requires intense skill to do it well...

Life altering disease, potentially permanent, must be presented carefully. Sometimes a cold is just a cold, and not a DIABETIC cold. In short, the word diabetes does not need to start every sentence, every syllable. If you like the person who is currently treating you, and their tools, their methods work for you... keep em.

If the tools, the presentation is not sufficient, seek better counsel elsewhere... IMHV. Been to many so called "specialty clinics" whose sole focus was diabetes and was never impressed by them. Textbook diabetes care was taught, but more personal, more in the mud instruction would have been far better I propose.

An endo will work, if there is any major problems. But if you dislike their personality, loathe their particular approach on whatever level, then your local MD might not be a "bad place" to begin. Like you, I slap my head at the ~stamp on the forehead~ routine we hear about, here's your meter, you're a diabetic, see your doctor on Monday game which lots receive. That's a stupid presentation... on any level you can conceive of.

Who would you like to do that initial counseling?

My problem with counseling would be what information would you teach. Many CDE's do a type of counseling but they give out a lot of bad information. I think a lot of us who have learned to manage our bgs have done it on our own, with little help from our doctors. Many associations believe and HbA1c of 7 is great control. That is an average bg of 154. Yikes!!!. I love online support groups. You see all types of views and see others success stories. The same thing does not work for everyone. I think the best information I got was from Dr Bernstein's book when he said every diabetic desereves to have normal bgs.