What the jumping jacks are trying to tell you

Do you ever have those moments when you talk to someone or do something that makes your stomach does jumping jacks as though it’s screaming at you to “PAY ATTENTION!!”? Those shouts are often the beginning of a new path in life; an awaking of a new passion that you just can’t not follow. I’m convinced that our physical bodies know our emotional state of mind before we are cognitively aware of it and those physical responses, like stomach jumping jacks, just cannot be ignored.

I shared with you (my loyal readers) a couple weeks ago about a high school girl named Courtney who was just too cool for her diabetes. I could not get her off my mind for weeks! In fact, I still think about her often. (But I still haven’t heard from her either, just in case you were wondering.) I had another interaction with someone the other day that produced that same jumping jack reaction in me. All these strong responses are putting my mind and heart into a frenzy!

A mother of a 7 year old boy called our office last Friday and I answered the phone. Her son had just been diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes on Monday. She called to get information about a diabetes educator coming to her son’s school to teach the faculty how to help him manage his diabetes while she wasn’t there to help him herself. I could hear in her voice that she was about to break down and that she had probably been in breakdown mode all week. After giving her some general information and telling her that I would transfer her call to our program manager, I decided to just check in with her emotionally and see how she was holding up. I asked her how her son was doing and what his symptoms were prior to being diagnosed and I asked her how she was doing with all of this. She was scared and worried about her son and had a broken heart that she couldn’t take this diabetes on herself. To see a little boy suffer through it didn’t seem fair to her. I told her that I was a type 1 diabetic as well and was able to share with her my experience and how becoming a diabetic hasn’t been devastating or negative. She was so thankful that I shared with her and knew firsthand what was going on that she let out a sigh of relief, like, “Ok, I can do this and we’re going to pull through”. After we hung up, I felt like I had just done what I was made to do: to go to the scared, distressed, broken, and hurting and be a trustworthy and valid messenger of hope and fortitude. I was able to meet her fear, worry, and grief with compassion, comfort, and understanding.

I’m not sure where these jumping jacks will lead me to, but I certainly want to listen to them and jump in to wherever they take me.

Hears to more jumping jacks in your future, you are abviosuly made for each other. :slight_smile: