What to do about Air Travel and all the supplies we have?

As a newly diagnosed Type 1(last week), I’ll be travelling to Colorado in August(from Virginia). Questions I have. Security…what will I need to do about my Lantus pens? BG monitor, etc? Does it all go through security? How do you handle injecting in public? The time of the flight corresponds with that. How about time zone changes and medicating. Stay with east coast time with injecting and eating??? I feel so stupid asking these questions. I feel like I should already know this. Please add anything else you think might be helpful.

This is new territory for you so don’t feel bad having to ask a question like this. With all the new TSA rules, even a D vetran like me has to ask questions sometimes :slight_smile: First of all, contact your doctor for a letter that lists all your prescriptions, including your lancets and pens. Most docs have a form letter that takes them no time to put together a letter for you. Pack your D supplies in your carry on bag. I usually keep all my D supplies in quart size ziplocs, with the prescription label from the pharmacy on the items. I can’t tell you how many people have packed their supplies in their checked luggage and the luggage got lost. Make sure to bring plenty of snacks and fast acting glucose with you. Make sure you have plenty of test strips. Tell the people at the security gate that you have diabetes and that you are carrying your medical supplies. Some airports don’t care and just do a standard xray on your stuff just like they do for everyone, some will make you pull all your stuff out of your carry on bag. Either way you will just get passed through the line with little issue.

As far as changing your schedule due to the time zone difference, how long will you be in CO? Since it is only a couple of hours difference, I personally would just adjust to the time zone I am in. I am interested to see what others suggest on this question since I am no expert on this question :slight_smile: As far as injecting in public, if you are not comfortable doing that, then do it in the car or a bathroom. Keep in mind at a restaurant the table will block others from seeing you inject in the abdomen so I use to do it all the time when I was on shots.

You will do fine on this adventure, I know it.

I recently flew for the first time with pump and all supplies. I had a letter from my doc and all my supplies in a back pack that went through the xray machine. They did not even ask me about it. The inspected my bag because my liquid makeup wasn’t in a see through bag but nothing about my needles and insulin vials.
I have never minded injecting in public. I dont like to go to the bathroom to do it so I do it anywhere I am, but we are all different about that. With time zone you may want to ask your doc about that and get a letter from her for the airport just to be on the safe side.

I’ve never had any trouble. Be sure and tell them when your going through security that your diabetic and you have diabetic supplies with you. I usually take everything I need for the trip with me rather than putting those items in checked luggage. Make sure you have a way to keep stuff cool, if you won’t have access to a refrigerator or freezer those instant ice packs they use in first aid kits can work pretty well, in fact they may get too cold. If you don’t have a medic alert ID (card, jewelry*, or both) of some sort make sure you have one before you travel. Oh, and don’t forget your snacks, since most flights no longer offer food.

*James Avery has some really nice ones and they prioritize the medic alert engraving. I just order the charm with a chain and received it in about a week http://search.jamesavery.com/?q=medic+alert&Submit=SEARCH&search_originated=1

Anne,

Welcome to the club. You’ve already received excellent advice so I won’t bother to repeat it. You’re going to be fine.

The time zone change shouldn’t be a big deal. Inject on your schedule until you get there. Once there, inject on local time.

As for injecting in public - it’s a matter of your comfort level. Sitting in a cramped airplane next to a stranger might be too uncomfortable if you’re new at this. Either go to the restroom (get an aisle seat!) or take your injection a little early or a little late. An hour either side won’t make much difference.

If you’re having a meal on the flight, try to find out what it will be and calculate an estimate of the carbs. From personal experience I’d estimate the carbs in an airline sandwich or lunch roll at 15-20g given the skimpy size. But if you want total control, pack your own meal.

You’ll be fine. Have a good trip and report back!

Terry

a member here, Tim, posted a link to the TSA’s own website with all the regulations - here - I found it very helpful.

Thank you all so much for responding. It’s nice to know I don’t have to figure this all out on my own.

Like the Frio cases for carrying insulin when I travel:) Also keep everything together in my carry on for TSA to look at. Keep as much in original packing w/ prescription information and since I am on a pump, I also carry a letter from my doc that lists everything I use and have scripts for. Usually just takes one trip to get you organized…then it is much easier:) Take care and have a wonderful time!

If you do choose to adjust your Lantus (I think it is up to you if you want to or not), then you should do it step by step. Inject 1-2 hours later one day, then 1-2 hours later the next day until you are at the right time. I hope this makes sense (as I’m not sure that I explained it well!)

Also, I always bring twice as many supplies as I actually need. And I put some supplies in the checked luggage and some in my carry-on. But I keep ALL insulin with me (in the Frio wallet-- I highly recommend these!!)