What to do? What to do?

Ok i need some help here… i have been taking care of my diabetes finally, but i find myself dropping low… i get all shaky n such and it sucks… it is worst at work… i am so affraid my boss will come in and demand something of me that i just cant do at the moment cause i’m trying to deal with my sugar being low… i mean… how do i say " I cant right now my sugar is low " … and expect him to understand and not get bitchy?

Thanks…

Speaking from experience I’ve dropped low a few times at work. I explain to my boss or co-workers that I am low, need to grab a few glucose tablets and poof I’m ready to go.

A few things:

You may need to adjust your insulin.
I would recommend carrying juice boxes or glucose tablets with you at all times.
If your boss is easy to get along with you should let him or her know whats going on with you. Someone should know what to do just incase you go too low and can’t treat yourself.

Kudos on taking care of your diabetes:)

i myself am a diabetes idiot…but, my best guess is your carb/insulin ratio needs tweaked…

for a long time i was correcting at the 2 hour mark, then plummeting. i wait three hours now and haven’t been low in a while.

hope that helps a bit.

see if there is a pattern…like the same time every day at work??? or whatever…its sounds like your basal rate could be adjusted for those times. good luck!

I know exactly what you mean. My boss knows I’m diabetic and she’s pretty easy-going but I still find it difficult to tell her I can’t do something when my sugar is low! It’s really difficult to work like that and also dangerous so it sounds like you and I need to learn to put ourselves first :slight_smile: Something I’ve noticed that helps a little bit when explaining to people why I can’t do something due to low sugar…I’ll say “my sugar’s so low I’m shaking!” and hold my hand up for them to see. That seems to show them how serious I am!

Have you mentioned it to your medical team? If not you need to and if you don’t have a CDE (Certified Diabetes Educator) you’ll need that too. An Educator can take the time to find what your insulin to carb ratio is and show you how to adjust your insulin…give you an overall education about insulin.

Good for you for taking care of yourself. This situation is exactly why I think we should be open and honest about our diabetes. Having done a major low this week, I learned the importance of carrying something with me to bring my sugars back up, and letting people know what is going on with me. Had I not told my therp of my diabetes, I could have found myself in the back of an ambulance…I agree, at the appropriate time, when you are in control, tell your boss that you definitely don’t plan to have this 'd" get in the way of your work, but sometime it might, and you are letting him/her know what’s up with you, so that you are both safe. You might get some pamphlet on diabetes to share with him/'her and be prepared to answer questions. If your job performance as been great thus far, there is no reason to believe that it will be anything different. Knowledge can be power.

I’ve passed out at work a lot. Unless your boss is the world’s biggest [edited for profanity] (and I had one of those once), they will want to help. So will all of your coworkers. They will feel good about “saving someone’s life”. I suppose it depends on the person, but I’ve found people are generally very understanding and will do anything and everything they can to help. (Even the [edited again for profanity] was concerned about me (before he fired me for it) and wanted to take me to the hospital to get checked for a concussion.) If you just explain, they will listen. Plus, they’re usually pretty careful, because they don’t want to get in trouble because of discrimination.

Great thoughts, all of these!

And, apparently, the manifestations of diabetes change with body changes. You may be dealing with lows for that simple a reason. I don’t see anything in this thread or your profile to suggest that are under ongoing care with an endocrinologist or Certified Diabetes Educator; if you aren’t, now’s as good a time as any to get that in process.

Something else you should know is that, depending upon the size of employer, the Americans with Disabilities Act covers Type 1 diabetes. Obviously, an employer can manufacture any reason to let someone go (or none if you live in an “employment at will” state), but documenting your diabetes would reduce the possibility of future employment-related complications – especially if, as Cathy says, your past performance reviews reflect no or few issues.

Good luck.

-vicki

We feel so out of it & vulnerable when low. Can be embarrassing also, especially at work. I don’t want to be treated differently, who does?

I directly tell people when I’m low. I never say I can’t do something (bosses & co-workers don’t want to hear that). When I can’t function properly, I just say give me a few minutes to eat some glucose & I’ll do it. Maybe I’ve been lucky because people have understood & they’ve seen me popping jelly beans. I have little baggies of jelly beans stashed in my desk, purse, car, kitchen & nightstand.

Here is my thought on this. The corporate world is a cold place and I think for the most part people care but at the same time the higher the function you are doing the more that is expected of you. If you cant deliver you will get runned over and possibly fired. I know people will now say that under the disabilities act we should be treated fairly because of our special needs. One thing that I have learned is that if I advertise that I have diabetes issues I may not be given the higher functions which come with the higher pay. I dont hide it but at the same time I try to control as much as possible.

People know I have diabetes because they see my meter on my desk and ask me what it is. they hear the beep every two hours when I check. I have two co-workers whose wives had gestional diabetes. I know they still dont understand what lows can do to a person. I had some issues last year with a lot of lows or percieved lows while at work. I would get the shakes and start sweating and could not think. So the way I tackled the problem was to think of work like a long bike ride. That ment being prepared all the time. I am constantly checking glucose at work. I check my calendar for meetings and right before I go to the meetings I check my glucose levels. If all is good then no snacks. If it gets low or about 80 I get a small snack. I tend to tank around 80 when I am in meetings. If the meeting is going to be super long I bring in a snack and eat it half way in. Always a 15 grams of carbs snack for me.

After the one year of having lows at work I rather be prepared than sorry. At this point hopefully my work speaks for itself. Anyway good luck and always test.

I’m really upfront about my diabetes. I let my co-workers know about what may happen. I’ve had some really evident lows (soaked with sweat, blotchy skin). I’ve never gotten any sort of discrimination from or hassle from my employers. Just tell them it may look bad, but in about 10 minutes you’ll be back to normal. I’m pretty sure you will find that those around will be more concerned about how to be helpful when a low happens. It’s a feature not a flaw.

Also, I keep glucose tablets well stocked at the office. I have a jar of 50 on my desk and 2 spares in my bottom drawer. I also got a whole bunch of the tubes of 10. I try to keep one with me if I’m going into training or a meeting. To be completely honest, I’m not always so good about keeping the glucose in my pocket. I put a roll or two in each of my jackets. I was always being led around by my nose by my insulin reactions. It’s clear that sometimes I’m a slow learner. :slight_smile: I work in a law firm and have experience with the having to go in several directions at once. By keeping glucose with me, I can treat on the go. I also have hypoglycemia unawareness so I sometimes don’t know I’m low until I’m stupid and stumbling.

BTW, I used to live in Tucson. I went to high school there and lived there until I was 23. I miss the Chubascos.

I hold my hand up also…no time for explaining…they know I mean business.

Most of the people I work with know that I have Diabetes and they tell me to take care of myself. The tuff time is when I with a customer. I’m trying to concentrate on what I am doing. I can pull out the juice box out of my drawer in front of them. That is when it gets tuff.

i don’t hide that i am diabetic, my department at work knows i am diabetic, i told my boss when i was diagnosed, especially because it was right before we all had to take a 4 week road trip for “professional development” and i didn’t have a support team except them. I am also a first respnder for medical emergencies on site and have been for 6 years, prior to my dx. it is important that at least select people know about things, in case something happens, if no other reason than to pass that info on in case you can’t

i don’t generally tell the world, i am not looking for sympathy. i wear a medical alert necklace.

once people know what diabetes is, and that you can do your job despite it, and that you will correct the issue and get back to work when you know what’s wrong, i have found them to be accepting. But then there are those who milk it for all it’s worth and give us a bad name.