What would You Like to See as ADA Priorities in 2013?

Earlier this week I compiled the feedback above and sent it to folks at ADA. Thanks to all of you who have already given feedback! It's not too late to give more... :)

I Like what I saw here.

For all the multi-millions raised by ADA I believe that:

a) they have power , clout and voice to stop all this assinine high costs of test strips and end up with a policy that limits strip use due to cost. For diabetics this ia the only effective tool to properly control diabetes whereby arrogant idiots are limiting strips for T2 to one a day not on insulin; this is national disgrace. CGMS have promise but present cost is outlandish and controlled in a stupid fashion.

b) start researching and spending money identifying practical cures for T2 who represent 85 % of all diabetics. Get rid of high carb and useless diets that foster rot out.

c( any business that had its problem base exploding 200 and 300 percent needs to be fired, arrested and re-directed. Recycling type 1 cures valid for type 1 is not acceptable plan, process and method to get T2 incidents dropped. Numbers prove this is stupid and useless.

d) I am fed up with all new research and new ideas involving liver and complete organ issues/diet for T2 ending up in the government warehouse for Indiana Jones discoveries to remain out of sight and be ignored rather than active program to incorporate latest thinking to get T2 rot stopped and get off the Lets kill vampires with a single silver bullet discovery and get on to practical cures, stratagies that stop the exploding numbers of cases world wide and waste tons of cash and bankrupt victums into their graves rotted out.

The other thing we need is some valid test tools/analysis packs that can track the complex chemical plant of the human body and provide extensive data that the computers on the bridge of the Starship Enterprise can analyze ans provide decent summary to Doctor to quickly fine tune from hormone misfires, to diet, exercise and other related misfires.

We need these for two main reasons:

1. Cure more patients quickly and cost effectively.

2. Get every doctor, researcher, endo on same page to get agreement on what the problem is and get the contending well meaning not quite right theories fighting each other and defeating rational cures. Present approach barely better than Merlins magic wand and caveman fingerprick machine. Such arcane archaic guessing and treatment of diabetes is not up to the 23third century magic wand of Star Trek vintage Dr McCoy and the computers on the bridge of the starship enterprise. This tends to evoke the words - what is this - the dark ages?

I have never really understood what the ADA has to do with me. All I ever have received from them is a slick looking magazine with a bunch of recipes in it that I cannot use. they need to quit wasting money on crap like that and figure out what they really are. Are they a legislative organization, a research organization, a regulatory organization?

I agree with many other posters here. Let's get pumps attached to the diabetics who will benefit from them. That would be most diabetics. Make insulin choices between the endo or doctor and the patient. STOP with the limit on test strip numbers. I don't know of an in-control diabetic who tests only four times per day. I would love to have a CGM, but my insurance company won't pay for it. Why is that? Get that one fixed.

If the ADA cannot get some of these simple tasks accomplished, then they need to wither yield to another organization that can, or disband so that another organization can move in with more teeth and a more defined purpose.

Stop killing trees with a stupid magazine.

Brian:

excellent succint on point response. I got a report on the key players and research groups. Some are honestly doing just that and spend actual money doing research.

ADA as best as I can tell were pulling in 166+ million and tiny amount spent on research and none on cures. JDRF honestly work type 1.

Joslin work type 1 and 2.

To me there is no exceptable excuse that ADA is not drving down cost of supplies and strips and issues that would honestly help all diabetics and especially the tragic high costs. They have the dollars and lobbying clout to drive that.

Jims, I agree re: the magazine. The one positive thing I'll say about ADA is that the local office in Dallas, and to some degree the national office as well, have been very open about working with local diabetes related groups. That's nice, because ADA does have the resources t omake local efforts more effective. For instance, in Dallas I help lead a group of diabetic athletes, mostly type 1's and a few type 2's. ADA has offered us meeting space, allowed us to organize training rides for the Tour de Cure, and referred people to us who are committed to actually being active and exercising. I think that's fantastic.

FYI, I am on a very low carb diet except during endurance events like half century bike rides, half marathons, and marathons. During those times, and usually for a day afterwards, my caloric needs go WAY up.

Working on triathlon training; will see what that does to my BG's. :-)

Well, good news and glad they are helping you. I have spoken to Dallas group and found them open as well.

not all is bad obviously. Best wishes and thank you for sharing.