What's better low carb or vegan?

I don’t want to step on any toes, but I’m just curious about how all this dieting works. I tried the low carb diet and it most definitely lowered my blood sugar. I have decided to try something different though while I’m recovering from Gallbladder surgery. I’m eating 1200 calories a day, but all in mostly good carbs. I know there are really no good carbs, but some natural fruits high in fiber do slow down the rate at which said carbs are digested and they do not spike my blood sugar. For breakfast I ate 1 banana. For lunch I had baked cod crumbled up into small pieces and put into 2 flour tortillas. Small tortillas 30 grams of carbs combined. I added sautéed onion, bell peppers, and lemon juice to them. Then I had 1 large apple and a small portion of rice 40 grams of carbs. For dinner I had 1 large apple, 1 can of beets, 17 pieces of high fiber wheat thin crackers, and 1 cup of sugar free Jello. I thought for sure the beets would cause a huge blood sugar spike, but they did not. Two hours after my dinner, my BG is 92.

I don’t know if this is a fluke, or because I have lost 45 pounds in 2 years due to health reasons, with 10 of those pounds being lost in the last week. But I have never had this kind of BG control. Grant you I did have a 111 fasting BG today, but I don’t even consider that to be bad, as it just means I’m back to pre-diabetes numbers. If this diet fails, I will be going low carb. I just do not like a lot of meat and I’m not sure if I did not like meat because my Gallbladder has been bad for a long, long time and it just made me feel sick, or because I just do not like a lot of meat in general. I have read that vegan diets have also reversed (or like I say put type 2 diabetes into remission) just the same as low carb. They don’t know if it is because of the caloric restriction, the loss of weight, or both of those combined. The low carb group had lower insulin resistance and lost more weight though. I just don’t see giving up certain fruits that are so beneficial to our health. Beets lower blood pressure and can also reduce insulin resistance even though they are higher in sugar.

These raw good fruits satisfy my sweet tooth way more than any candy or cake could ever do. Maybe this is just temporary and I will have to switch to the low carb diet. I’m also not afraid of fats either. I will be adding salmon and avocado once my GB is healed up and my OX bile starts working better. I want to do a combination of lower carb lower meats. There is a vegetarian group that eats vegetarian but also seafood. I want to do this, but I still also eat low fat ham deli meat a few times a week. I need to find something that I can stick with long term. Every time I have went low carb, after two weeks I have broken down and ordered a pizza. Maybe it will be the same with this diet. I don’t know, but I think there are many ways to get to good diabetes control and we all have to try the method that works best for us. I have never eaten this healthy before. I’ve eaten more green stuff in 2 weeks than I’ve eaten in the entire past 15 years lol. What do you guys think?

I forgot to add that I also ate 2 large celery sticks with lunch, with fat free cream cheese. I will be switching to 1/3 less fat soon, as the fat free version tastes like cardboard. I also learned that the hospital does not know how to treat diabetics. They gave me sugar in my IV after my blood sugar hit 60. I do not mess with low BG if it is not causing any symptoms. I had not eaten for 48 hours. I kept explaining to them that if I do not eat certain foods, or if I do not eat period, my blood sugar will be completely normal. These wonderful people did not believe me but kept remarking, we don’t have to give you insulin. They are so ingrained with giving sugar and then insulin to correct you in the hospital. It would be better to not even tell them you are diabetic because they will screw with your entire diet and BG control. It was an eye opener for me for sure. The last time I was in the hospital for seven days I did not have diabetes and it was easier without them checking my BG every 4 hours. They’re like the gestapo in the hospital.

I’m not sure that this is an A/B type choice. As many forum members will tell you, YDMV or “Your Diabetes May Vary!” Your choice may well depend on your preferences, other health conditions and your remaining insulin production.

It is generally recognized that a low carb diet helps keep blood sugars low and stable. But some individuals are able to control this, even with a bit more carbs. As you noted, when you take away most carbs, people can feel deprived and find themselves breaking over frequently. I’ve found that exploring the many keto recipes on the internet helpful in maintaining variety, even though I’m not into ketosis. The downside is that you need to do more of your own cooking.

There are multiple reasons people choose a vegan diet, some related to health and some for ethical reasons. A case can certainly be made for avoiding or limiting corn-fed beef or farmed fish. And even with wild fish, the mercury issue is worth considering.

The best we can do is be aware of the many concerns about food and make our best choices. But it’s not likely we’ll all agree on how to rank those concerns.

Two references have been helpful to me:

1. Dr Richard Bernstein for his book, The Diabetes Solution and his many webinars on YouTube and
  2. Dr Robert Lustig for his webinars on sugar and processed food. I particularly like his recent talk, “Sweet Revenge.”

The best diet is the one that works for YOU.

There is no bad carb, only bad dosing…

(or I should add - and bad timing…)

I think you are tuned in to what your body needs. As long as you keep tracking and honoring your blood glucose numbers and listen to what your body says, I think you’ll do well.

It’s time to listen to the meter, Terry4. I have been resisting complete change for 4 years now. It’s hard to get the standard American diet out of your head. It’s almost alive inside of us like a cancer cell lol. I just hope I can continue on this healthy path. What’s really motivating me is the fact that I never even thought I would see 228 on a scale ever. I want to see under 200 in the next two months. Terry, if you are reading this. I read that eating 2 apples a day was shown to prevent cardiovascular events by up to 20 percent in men, and 40 percent in women. It was also shown to reverse plaque build up in the arteries up to 50 percent in studies. You can do some of your own research on this. Apples are only 12 grams of carbs each and 86 calories. They may or may not spike your blood sugar. Beets open up blood vessels and these can also help blood flow to the heart. My gramps died of a heart attack when he was 82 after a long battle with Type 2. But he never had eye problems, no neuropathy. I met a gentleman in the hospital that had his first heart attack from diabetes at 80. He had five bypass surgery and is doing well. He only had complications from the contrast dye they gave him. It caused acute kidney failure and he’s being rehabbed on dialysis. You might go many, many years without any events at all. It’s just a crap shoot sometimes. But you can have a nuclear stress test to see if there are any blockages and get them fixed before they cause any problems.

I believe that there’s an addictive quality to wheat and other carbs. Fortunately, that craving does go away after a week or two of lower carbs.

My take on any diet with diabetes is guided by the wisdom of small numbers:

Fewer carbs = less insulin = smaller mistakes.

For pwd, the diet will vary, according to whatever is best for your bg. For me it is grain and gluten free, no starchy foods like potatoes etc., moderate carbs from Veggies and fruit, healthy fats. I would like to try vegetarian or vegan again and I do eat some vegetarian and vegan meals, but I can’t eat grains, beans or soy so it would not be enough protein for me, And it would be too high carb. I think a vegan diet has been proven to be the healthiest diet overall for many reasons.