What's in your bag?

Well, I'm a guy, so my 'needs' are a little different, plus I have pants w/ pockets....But I do carry a bag. It's pretty manly looking so I'm pretty safe from mocking :-) : Maxpedition Jumbo Versipack I spend a great amount of time (at least I did until recent medical issues sidelined me) outdoors, way out- I don't mean the local park, so some of my items reflect that.

I've gotten several compliments on the bag recently from nurses at the hospital (where I've spent far too much time). Been asked where I got it as it looked like a great gift for boyfriend/husband. BTW, they come in Pink now too!

In my bag or on my person are the following:

Pump
Meter, strips, lancets, etc.
Backup meter
Glucagon
Humalog vial
Spare infusion set with all the accessories
Humalog KwikPen w/ pen needles
Two days of oral RX plus misc OTC meds: Tylenol, Imodium, eye drops, etc.
Glucose tablets
Hand sanitizer
Hat
Sunscreen
Small towel
Paper towels
Leather Gloves
Water & snacks (for me and the 3 grand kids)
Reading glasses
Book
Sunglasses
Wallet
Cell phone
Notepad & Pen
Flashlight (two)
550 cord
Fishing hooks & line
Fire starter
Trauma kit
GPS
Spare batteries (Pump, meter, GPS, flashlights)
Pocket knife (two)
Multi-tool
Pistol
Up until recently it also served as a diaper bag - Thankfully the last grand-kid has grown out of the diaper stage.

I'm so sorry for your loss. I agree with you, though; the reason I haven't been carrying glucagon with me all the time is because I don't think the average person would know how to use the kit as it is today.

Generally, I travel light. Glucose meter and supplies, pills, glucose tabs, and a small snack. When I have to take insulin and syringes along I find that Ziplock bags are my friend. I can keep everything I need safe and tidy.

It doesn't sound silly at all... I also have neck problems when my bag gets too heavy - and it doesn't take much at all for it to feel 'too heavy' for me.

I try to make sure I split up or balance the weight. For example if I'm bringing my lunch and snacks to work I'll carry it in a separate bag even if it fits in my purse - and either put it on the other shoulder or carry it by hand.

Small backpacks are great, but can still strain you if you pack them too heavily.

In my purse:
- wallet
- keys
- smartphone
- kleenex
- lip balm
- sunglasses
- asthma inhaler
- bg testing supplies

Ha loving that, a proper bug out bag.

If I wasn't in the UK, were you can't even carry a locking pocket knife over 3 inches, i'd have the same.

I find I carry more than I need if I allow it to happen. To avoid some of it, I do a fanny pack with the bare essentials or less. Sometimes I should carry more, so I go to a tote bag. I am in a power chair so I can always hang it from my chair arms over the headrest or on my lap. Ahhhh, then add to it the price of beauty! It's never ending if you let it get to you!

Lois

Hi Buckley, I'm very sorry that happened to your mother, that is terribly tragic:( Nothing can take away the what ifs in our minds when something like that happens. I guess these things are a lot harder to figure out than we realize for some people especially maybe if they are stressed out. The emergency services should have asked her about that more carefully. I'm hoping they will have the non powder glucagon pens soon to make things easier to figure out and do.

I carry a mid size purse. It normally has 2 large inner compartments, 1 inside zippered compartment and 2 zippered outter compartments. Inside I usually carry:

-meter kit
-small Insulin pouch with needles and cotton balls
-sun glasses
-reading glasses
-juice box
-cell phone
-roll of Tums
-small container of glucotabs
-keys
-mints
-dark chocolate pieces
-eyeliner/lip balm/mirror
-all my cards including "I Am A Diabetic" card
-a paper with my conditions and medications with Diabetic card
-Trident sugarless gum
-bills and coins
-photos
-pen and small pad
-small address book
-kleenex
-Asthma inhaler
-my med container with meds
-small container with thread, needle, 2 bandaids, bobby pins, safety pins
-small container with my earrings, necklace and watch, if I feel like wearing them

Forgot my eye drops and hair brush. :D

Well sometimes a picture is worth a few words. This is what i carry:

and for those who wonder what the white cards are:

Great bag, Rick---I also always have TuD cards with me, and take extra on the train!.....

What's in my bag? Everything! It's been a running joke in our family for 15+ years that my purse in called "the general store". And it only got worse after I was dx'ed T1D 4 years ago.

I also have disc problems in my neck, already had one surgery & headed to another. So I understand the problems of carrying a loaded bag. Thankfully I found the perfect solution. A Mountainsmith Lumbar Pack (Mine is a Tour TLS). I've carried one as my purse for 5 years straight. The thing I love about it is the lumbar straps. That puts most of the weight on my hips & reduces the pressure on the shoulder strap.

They are expensive, but they hold up well. As I stated 5 years daily use, & some of those loaded down with equipment during video production/photography shoots. Highly recommend it.

Ah, the bag discussion! One of my fav topics. I am still looking for the perfect bag. I am crossover or backpack person, no purses for me. I put them down and walk away...silly me.

I have my meter, an insulin pen, needles, lancets, various lipsticks and chapstick, Vicks inhaler (yeah, real sexy), pens, coin purse with all my cards and usually sans money...some really old glucose tabs, that if I take, I may die from. A notebook, my cell phone, nail file, tweezers - cause you never know when that chin air sprouts...Now adding my new Dexcom receiver. Dental floss, cause Spinach, ya know. House keys. Oh I'm getting very tired thinking about this heavy bag!

I long for the days when I could put everything I need in a small, small bag, but no more.

Oh I dig that pack!

No way, that's all? You are a rock star!

I finally got one of those cute backpack/bags by Mossimo. Normally I just fling it on one shoulder but when my shoulder starts to hurt (unrelated to the bag), I use both straps as a backpack and it's fine. I have actually downgraded the amount of junk I carry with me now. In it at the moment is my wallet, my test kit, a small notebook, some pens, some sugar tablets, my camera, and some business cards. Sometimes I also throw in whatever book I am reading but that depends mostly on the book (paper vs. hardback). My phone is normally on my person and that contains my record log (I forget the name of app right off) and my calendar/datebook.

Perhaps you just need a sturdier bag. When I got this one, I asked a salesperson for help. I wanted to put the bag I was using inside this one to make sure it wouldn't be too heavy. Since I was putting stuff in their merchandise, I asked for assistance. I tried three or four bags before settling on this one. Good luck!

Linny your post made me laugh... :)

I've tried a back pack....but seems too much for daily use. I need to start taking my meter etc with me....so I suppose that a back pack would be best....no more cute little bags for me....no fashion with diabetes, I guess.

Test kit, backup test kit, extra test strips, glucagon, a variety of fast acting sugars, wallet, 2 cameras, mini photo album, 2 fold-up shopping bags, small flashlight, mini tool kit, several pens, kleenax, lip balm, several packets of crystal light, a small handwork project (usually a quilt block), small notebook or two, sunglasses, ipod & earbuds, keys, small pouch with all my affinity cards. If I'm not going to have ready access to my car add a frio case with insulin and a ziplock with a complete set of spare stuff for my pump and a couple of syringes. Sometimes I will also have a book or my Nook. There may be a couple of small things I forgot.

Can you post a picture of the bag that you carry all this in, or describe it. I can't see myself (5'2") carrying this around with me day after day.