'what's it all about , alfie"

the title to this song gives away my age. 60. I was told i was diabetic last year with a FBGL from the lab of 126.
other than prescribe metformin GP didn’t really tell me much. not his fault, really. he order the first blood test i have ever received so I am grateful for that.

the fact that this was my first blood test in my life suggests i have always been in good health. in my 50’s i put on 20lbs and thought i would enjoy more beer and burgers till that great roundup. that’s out. its all about diet these days.

here is my really stupid question: diagnosed at 60 , what exactly are the risks to life and limb? other than reading various generic inventories of things that can go wrong i have never found any info about what problems actually , in the real world , could arise.

will a leg eventually fall off, or will i go blind? and when?

at 60 you think about making it to 90. but in reality what do my 80’s look like will a controlled diabetes conditon?

i have been resistant to getting on the meds treadmill, opting for D&E, but if you told me i can take metformin and eat more bread or insulin and eat more pizza, i might just do it.

1 Like

Taking a pill and eating what ever you want doesn’t work for the vast majority of T2’s.

In theory you could estimate the carbs in your meal accurately and then inject the correct dose of insulin. Unfortunately there are several fly’s in the ointment with this scenario. Your estimate may be off or the insulin could hit your blood stream at a different time from the glucose from the food. This results in highs and lows which are not good for you and may be dangerous.

Before I started insulin I followed a strict low carb high fat diet and it worked well. My A1C’s were below 6.0 most to the time.

Since I started insulin I have opted to stick with the diet because it simplifies my life. I take basal insulin every day and most days only inject fast acting in the morning for dawn phenomenon. If I stick with my diet I don’t need meal time insulin. This means I don’t have to count carbs or deal with highs or lows following my meal. My last A1C was 5.7

If you want to evaluate how successful your management is you can use your meter. Many people think damage and therefore deterioration and complications occur with blood sugars over 140. So whatever you decide to do, you can easily evaluate if it is working.

Good luck, TuD is a great resource. Use the search function to learn about others experiences. This will help you decide on your course of action, as well as help you ask the right questions when you talk to health care professionals.

4 Likes

was dx at 60 only went to dr. because I had to get blood work for surgery. I’m on metformin 500 twice a day.
Don’t think because you take a pill you can eat what you want. don’t know much about insulin but what I
read people on insulin watch what they eat very carefully . their is no magic bullet that let’s you
eat what you want. that what makes this so hard. as for complications some have good control and still get
them some have bad control and don’t who know’s ? sorry about your dx. know it is hard to deal with.

Every person’s diabetes, progression and risk for complications are different. Some do very little to manage diabetes and are fine, while others do more and still run into problems. The only thing you can do is stack the odds in your favor – diet and exercise are certainly a start for that. Medication, like metformin for those that tolerate it, can help make it easier – EASIER, but not necessarily easy. There is still effort needed to keep the odds in your favor.

My mother was diagnosed with Type 2 in her low 60s. She passed away this past May at 86 from a heart attack that was probably unrelated to her having diabetes. She took metformin most of the time after her diagnosis. For the first dozen or so years, she watched her diet fairly well and did what exercise she could; however, at that point she fractured a hip then, later her pelvis (unrelated to diabetes, from everyone’s evaluation). These injuries inhibited her mobility.

Several years ago, her cognitive skills started to decline (starting with memory, then a sort of dementia). We know now that these cognition problems were caused by a tumor in her colon, but unfortunately we did not know that soon enough to make the last several years better. As a result of the diminished mobility and cognitive problems. my mother did not care for her diabetes well at all. She could not exercise much, and her diet was less than optimal. She stopped testing her blood glucose. My father was her caregiver, but his understanding of how to manage diabetes along with the other unrelated issues was mixed - it was an overwhelming challenge, to say the least. My mother’s A1c was usually in the low 6’s, though it crept up a little the last couple years.

Sorry the story is a little depressing – but the good part is that DESPITE her diminished mobility and mental state over the last several years, my mother passed away with all her limbs and organs intact. She had some mild neuropathy in her feet, but that was caused by three herniated discs damaging the nerves, rather than diabetes. Even her dementia was CLEARING the last couple months, once the colon cancer had been removed – so it was NOT caused by diabetes. Did diabetes play a role in some or all of the issues she had along the way? Perhaps, but I don’t think it diabetes was responsible for her death or the circumstances that led up to it.

2 Likes