What's Your Spread?

One of the things you will learn with TAG as you experiment, is how to divide up your extended bolus (whether it’s a combo / dual / square - whatever).

First, I always try to cover my carbs in the up front portion - unless I’m low when I start eating. (RICARDO - can you please add your explanations in this discussion for the different ways you can handle this situation?)

How I divide the rest is becoming more and more “instinctual” as I get more experience under my belt. I pretty much started with a 1.5 hr - 70/30% spread when I started. From there, I’ve progressed.

I’ve learned that for high fat or certain high protein meals, it needs to be more even. I’ve also learned that for high protein or high fat, I need between 2.5 hours to 3 hours. What have you learned?

I always try to cover my carbs in the up front portion - unless I’m low when I start eating. (RICARDO - can you please add your explanations in this discussion for the different ways you can handle this situation?)

Hi Cheri,

For most situations, getting the insulin on board as quickly as possible to cover the carbs, is the rule. Depending on your starting BG, with TAG you can shift insulin from the carb bolus to the protein/ fat bolus or visa versa.

If your BG is low, you can shift insulin out of the quicker acting carb bolus and into the longer acting protein/ fat bolus. Another option is to take the carb bolus at 0/100 for about 30 minutes followed by the protein/ fat bolus over however long it takes to match your desired rate of delivery. This allows your BG to do a controlled spike out of the hypo region.

If your BG is high, you can shift insulin from the longer acting protein/ fat bolus, into the quicker acting carb bolus. When I am way over my target range, I just add the protein/ fat bolus to the carb bolus and take it all immediately without a square/ extended bolus.