When did u get diabetes

how old was everyone when they got diabetes ? and how does everyone cope with it ??:slight_smile:

I had my 13th birthday in the hospital, 9 days after my dx

I am one of the different ones. I was dx’ed at 52 in ICU, DKA and yes type 1. My coping is basically You got to do what you have to do.

Nicole,
I was 71.
I have no trouble with it. Oh, yes, what I put in my mouth can cause huge spikes cause I’m a thin person. But I simply don’t put them in my mouth.
I used a CGMS for a year, recorded everything, learned what I could and could not eat.
I follow a modified Dr. Bernstein diet, I do not swing, and I am very actively caring for others in the family, exercising, keeping multitudinous appointments for others’ needs, and keeping up my professional education. Coping=living it up per normal.
Some psychiatrist somewhere will someday say I sublimated it, had a deep-seated need for brain activity, etc. etc.

I was diagnosed with T2 when I was 70. Coping? Since the complications sound nastier than the coping,I cope! It is all you can do. Hugs.

I was 28 when I was diagnosed with type 1. 14 years later, I’m healthy and have 3 fantastic kids who keep me on my toes. All 3 kids are after my diabetes diagnosis.

Living with diabetes isn’t easy, it is definitely a day to day kind of thing. If I have a day full of not so good numbers, I do my best and look towards tomorrow. Diabetes isn’t a perfectionist condition. I do what I can and realize no matter how hard I try, some days just won’t be fun. Anyone who wants to criticize what I do needs to walk a month in my shoes and tell me how they’d do it differently.

Good luck!

I was diagnosed back in 1991 when I was 6. I was young enough that I don’t really remember not being a diabetic. Only recently did I really embrace life as a diabetic and accept that it’s never going to go away. Diabetes really is a lifestyle.

My daughter Julia was diagnosed six months ago, the day after her 8th birthday. We cope by maintaining a PMA - positive mental attitude. :slight_smile: Some days are easier than others, but I focus on the good days to carry me through the bad.

I got diagnosed with D. 2 weeks before my 10th birthday.

I remember it really good because I was diagnosed on the 4th of September when school was about to start, a week after (11th September) the terrorist attack, and a week after that my b-day.

I was 16, 35 years ago. A lot of the coping for me is running on autopilot from day to day. I try not to stress out when things aren’t going as smoothly and when they aren’t I only think about what I need to do in the next 24 hours to regain that control. Does that mean I haven’t had times of complete and udder lack of control in the past, of course not. Sometimes even the best of coping mechanisms will let us down. I think the secret is to not beat one’s self over those moments, sometime easier said than done.

Oh yea, that and an understanding wife of 30 years.

I was diagnosed at 11 with Type 1. It’s been 17 years now and I’ve had ups and downs, but I got some great advice early on. “Never let diabetes be an excuse for you NOT to do something you really want to do.” I’ve tried to live by that. Obviously, I’ve had to make adjustments here and there, but I’ve pretty much been able to do anything I wanted to do.

Almost a month ago as t-1 aged 36. Coping with it doing what I have to do to stay alive. Dealing with some anger and probably a little depressed at the moment but like I said got to do what I have to do.

Type 2, seven months ago. This site is how I cope and just taking things as they come and figure it all out as I go along. There is always some new information or new way I find of doing things. I do hate the fact that I can’t perfect this since I tend to be a perfectionist and that is it so high maintenance since I am not. But I don’t have any other choice but to just deal the best I can day by day (month by month, ekk…year by year). I have had some slip up but I figure if my good days out number my bad ones than I doing my best. I can’t control it all unfortunately but master the control I have.

I think like Danny I was was almost 11 July 3rd ,2006 I remember being scared because I was scared of needles , well you have to get over that dont ya ?

I was diagnosed at 13 in 1977 with T1. I’m pretty much doing better now. I’ve become somewhat of a born again diabetic. I always acknowledged the disease, but I found that acceptance took longer. Once I quit resenting the hell out of it and recognizing that it was a lifestyle sort of thing, I got more blase about it. I’ve gotten a CGM and I’m on the OmniPod but I did MDI for some 33 years.

My lows were leading me around by my nose and I decided I needed to get this bull by the horns. I started educating myself and I started logging and I taught myself carb counting and figuring my dose based on that. Now that I have the CGM and the pod, I don’t keep records like I used to. I may get in the habit again because it was a good way to stay discliplined. Sometimes I wouldn’t snack on something because I just didn’t want to write it down. I’m surprised I had the discipline to just not say, “screw it” and dive in. That must be the maturity thing everyone used to tell me about.

Maturity whats that? Young until I die LOL

I was 11 type 1. I did not deal with it for awhile and paid the price I was in denial. Because all I could remember and dwell on was how life was before.

I was dx’d when I was 2. In many ways that’s a huge blessing because it’s all I’ve ever known. In 43 years of living this adventure, I’ve seen every iteration of diabetes care possible. Be thankful you didn’t have to go through using the same syringe over and over again, boiling it after each use, until it got too dull to use. :slight_smile:

It has truly been a wonderful adventure filled with many life lessons! I’m blessed to say I have zero complications and had two perfectly normal pregnancies. I ride a motorcycle (as the driver, never the passenger) and never let having diabetes stop me from doing anything. I’m firmly committed to rolling with it and not letting it get me down. Nothing surprises me at this point, so I don’t get emotionally hung up on sugars that don’t do what I want or expect them to. The biggest frustration I’ve had lately is that my “new” insulin pump sets off metal detectors (the old one never did), so I always wind up in the “high security/suspected terrorist” line in banks, airports, etc. LOL

I was 22 years old, I was actually diagnosed on 7/22/2010
Coping with it?? not really, its pretty devastating so far…
But, at least I’m alive.

Feb 2, 2009 - I was 55. I didn’t cope well with the dx, ran out of my Dr office…came back a month later, apologized - he gave me all my equipment and rx’s…Then this Febuary of 2010 I went through a burnout, things weren’t gelling, so I stopped testing. I stopped taking all my Meds on June 18th and got deathly ill about 3 days later. Had no clue it was the diabetes, until a friend begged me to test myself that was June 27; my BG was 495. I paid a heavy fine by going to Urgent Care and then paid for my drugs without insurance. After that I went to my Dr told him want had been going on, as I was still very ill - that was on July 1st when my new insurance kicked in. I’m now insulin dependent…now it’s September and we’re still having to adjust Meds around as I can’t get my BG down. Lowest I’ve been is 109 for afternoon, a couple 111’s but mostly I’m hitting 120’s… I made a promise to myself and my Dr, that I would be a good diabetic from now on. I’ve read 4 diabetic books since August, on my fifth – Dr Bernstein’s book [have 10+ more to go that I ordered from Amazon sitting on my bedside table] and I combed the internet for info. I will say I haven’t been over 180 since August, which is a plus…I’m getting there, just have patiences… :slight_smile: