When did your insulin intake start to go up?

I am 18 weeks pregnant and just wondering when on average everyones insulin amounts started to go up as mine were recently decreased again…

For me it never did, but I was told that there’s a rush of hormones around the middle of the second trimester and again around 32 weeks.l

Hi Emily, mine started to crank up at about 16 weeks - a bit earlier than the norm I think. Are yours possibly decreasing because you’re oh-so-closely watching your carb intake etc?

Mine went up almost immediately! I am only 8 weeks and around 4 weeks I had to switch from a 1:25 insulin to carb ratio to a 1:10- and increase my basal rate… it kinda freaked me out at first because I was using as much insulin for breakfast as I would normally use for a whole day!
However, this could also be linked to the fact that vegetables now gross me out and all I want to eat is meat and carbs and I’ve been too nauseous to go to the gym!!

Nope not because of that. I eat whatever I can that doesn’t make me nauseous and even if I have something right before bed I wake up low

My CDE suggested changing my rates when I was in week 19 and it was too aggressive, but lo and behold, by week 23, my body was begging for more insulin. By the end of my pregnancy, I went from i:c ratio of 1:13 to as tight as 1:4, a correction sensitivity from 1:38 pre-preg to 1:17, and an average TDD from 35u to 120u.

On delivery day, we switched me to i:c of 1:15, correction of 1:60, and my basal rates at 80-85% of my pre-pregnancy levels…and I’m still going low a lot. BabyBL is 1 week and 1 day old today. :slight_smile: My TDD is back down in the 30s again.

The rise in BGs and the insulin resistance comes from a placental growth hormone called placental lactogen. At some point in all pregnancies, the placenta produces anti-insulin hormones to keep the mother’s BGs elevated during fasting periods (like sleep) or during maternal malnutrition so that the baby siphons off what it needs first. It may also contribute to maternal production of ketones because of the way the body is burning fuel.