When do you think the Artificial Pancreas will be on the market?

I believe that an AP is too risky . I am a CGM and pump user, but I rely on my own “clinical judgment” with my dosage levels. I really would not want to give that up to a “machine”. I guess I am too "“old school”.

However, I just returned from Boston,as I am a blood donor in Dr.Faustman’s study to CURE type 1 diabetes.. Her research is the most hopeful that I can envision and I wholeheartedly support it.

God Bless,
Brunetta

It’s not simply a question of hope/despair. It’s also a question of need and desire. If they built it, would I come? Only if it could be implanted and I’d never have to think about it again. Can I have one which has no further need of human intervention once it’s in and turned on? I don’t see that happening in my lifetime.

The omnipod and CGM are great, but don’t even come close to meeting the standards of what an AP would need to do. Both of them require human input to work properly. The accuracy of the CGM is questionable, or at least unreliable.

Terry

I absolutely love the concept.

It’s not something I keep up with though so I have no idea how far the technology has come or what they have done to test it in the past. I imagine that, like an insulin pump, it would never be completely out of the users control.

Before we see a fully implemented artificial pancreas, assuming a megaleap in CGM accuracy, I’d like to see CGM control over an insulin pump if it isn’t already being worked on. So, we would see how an automated pump based on CGM readings handles insulin dosing all by itself. We have good working knowledge of how exogenous insulin affects BG levels and we can compare the effectiveness of automated pumps to human programmed pumps.

Personally, I’d love to be able to control my lows hormonally with glucagon instead of having to worry about converting carb values to BG values and compensating for absorption rates. That, to me, seems to be a lot of data to work through figuring glucagon doses to BG values.

Dunno.

Many of the pump companies already refer to their product as a “artifical pancreas”. Just the other day when I was on hold with Medtronic taking care of insurance stuff. They referred the “Revel” advanced technology to a “artificial pancreas” when linked to the CGMS.

I don’t think that research is that far off from a “artifical pancreas”. I would give it 10-12 years which includes approval with FDA. Pump users are currently using some of the systems that will be part of the AP. (there is your demand for the product).

I would like to remind this group that only 30 years ago, the glucose monitor was primative. Also the survival rate for PWD Diabetes was minimal due to no tools to manage our Diabetes with. I invite to you to review Danny’s historical illustrations of years passed.

Yes a cure would be wonderful, but I find it to be less HOPEFUL:(

The AP project is in the final stage of clinical studies with a phase III clinical study about to start at Stanford. The algorithm (the logic) is now using fuzzy logic to learn how the individual patien’s body uses insulin, digest food, processes glucose, responds to low BGs and etc.

The technology works and the clinical study will use items from several manufacturers of CGMs, pumps and insulin. A new extremely fast acting insulin will also be used in the study.

The time to market will be short given the fact that the FDA approved the phase III study way ahead of when the researchers thought in would get a “Go”.

I’m optimistic, I think it will be on the market in 3-4 at the latest.
E
The idea of having normal BGs no matter what I eat, and not having to eat to raise BGs is awesome. This happened in the last phase of the AP project.

thanks sir for this cool info!

Jeez, now your in my territory (and I would assume all of ours!) so my bg is 52 with 3.5 units active. Units to BG ratio is 1:40, C/I ratio is 8:1. so, Ive gotta figure out x=(3.5*8)+((100-52)/40)*8 while Im dropping. so I end up eating x which is about 37 grams of carbs. whew.

When did you say that AP was gonna be here? =^)

Really, the jokes are dumb when it comes to something(AP) for the benefit of YOUR health. I can see you all joking(“back in the day”) about a futuristic glucose meter that fits in your pocket or an insulin pump that actually pumps insulin properly. Or way way back in the day joking about injecting insulin so you wouldn’t die. Have you guys given up already? Because obviously the AP project hasn’t given up on you.

can’t wait, thats all I can say, ill be the happiest on earth if this comes true