When people ask "how are you doing" how do you reply?

Gary, It all depends on who they are and what we have in common, what our mutual interests are, if they even know about my T1 diabetes.
I have only 3 neighbors who know I have diabetes.
I have zero of past coworkers who know so when I meet them, it’s not inferred.
I have nobody at church who knows, so there, too, it’s a superficial question.
And everybody at the Chinese restaurant knows! I shoot in plain sight. My answer is “Great, how are you” - period, not a question mark. Since Jewel employees and Target employees started asking, I ask, “How are you?” back. No commonality there.
And relatives? They’re all medically educated or married to someone who is. When THEY ask, I answer with the A1c level.
And doctors? Same with the addition that I’ve had no lows since I last saw them.
I do not consider myself ill. I am only managing a chronic disease.

Amazing how many of you guys have spouses. If I met the female version of me and I wasn’t diabetic I’d run as far away as possible. I use the “eh” quite often.

I say I am feeling better than I deserve,short and sweet.

I too hate that question. i find that answering the truth, people do not want to hear it. I tell it like it is, I dont care anymore what people think, truth and honesty is the best medicine.

Me, I like to be funny, silly. I usually say, " I feel fine, but I STILL have diabetes! I mean, Ive had it for like 15 years or something, and it wont go away! I wash my hands every time after I go to the bathroom! I thought it would have cleared up by now!"

I don’t go into detail. I just say"fine and how are you doing?"

A co-worker saw my pump the other day and asked what it was and I explained that it was an insulin pump and that I am a diabetic. She responded that she hoped that I feel better. I told her that I was on anti-biotics and should be better in a few days.
marty

ps
You can’t fix stupid!!!

love the PS :slight_smile:

Repeat after me “… I AM OUTSTANDING…”

People are not truly asking about our medical history, they are making passing conversation, polite conversation. You don’t tell strangers/casual friends about your athletes foot, your infected wisdom teeth, your eye pain … absolutely no reason to tell them about your BG troubles either.

With peers, if they ask sure… but strangers in passing conversation, not a prayer!

We are outstanding!! I agree with Stuart…It is just a conversational technique to keep the nteractive flow going :Just being polite, I generally say " I.m doing great… and you?n" because I consider that on even on “bad” days I view my glass as half-full ;. Usually “my cup runneth over”.; and .even on days when I have double vision tingly feet, an aching back, and unknown reasons for a high blood glucose, I do not mention this to others . I feel blesssed when I count the good things imn my life… and there are many…People do not waant to know the h detailsmof my health unless they ask…And I unless they are VERY c lose friends and family…, They do NOT ask… I will educate others about diabetes care and regimen if I am asked, and I am a talker, but in passing conversdation it is often part of polite exchanges NOT mention such details.

God bless,

Brunetta

I find people take a real interest in knowing I am doing well…I get follow up questions when I say something vague like “I am doing ok.” Something along the line of “How are your numbers doing?” I really dont mind those type of questions, it makes me feel like someone cares but what I cant stand is " Are you suppose to eat that??"…Especially around other people who may not know my situation.

LOL!!!

I find no matter how sincere they are about learning more details they can never retain the information, lol…So most of the times I just stick to the basics or you will be explaining the same things ALL the time…

It’s funny but so many people mention the “diabetes police” having people ask, “can you eat that?”. My experience has been the exact opposite! No matter how much I explain about my eating program, they don’t get it. Like my nephew telling me where the family was going out to eat one night and saying, “they have really good pizza for you, Zoe”. I think it comes from my being a vegetarian and so the can only absorb one major food limitation at once and I used up my quota! Also, I haven’t eaten sugar for 17 years and that is the extent of most people’s knowledge about Diabetes and food, so they think I’m good to go. (Actually I thought the same thing myself at first!)

LOL…that so true…either I get someone offerring me white pasta as a meal or they ask me if I can have that Oreo…Its just too much to consume I guess…lol

I always say I’m ok and you? No matter how I feel to burden others with how I feel when not feeling well won’t make me feel any better. I’m thankful for every day that I can wake up and walk and see. I’m always thankful that I can still take care of myself and others when needed…I’m just thankful to be here.