When someone has diabetes and neglects it

I have recently had a few experiences of good friends who developed Type2 Diabetes and are either in denial or just totally not dealing with it. I think a lot of the problem is doctors -- they just give them some pills and say come back in 3 months for a checkup...

I guess some have tried unsuccessfully to diet and are ashamed of not being able to deal with this. So they refuse to discuss it.

I feel SO frustrated. One friend in particular has already been forced to stop driving because of eye issues, and he's not 60 yet! But I can't talk to him about it, he gets angry.

What do you do?

I would think it's hard to accept Medibolic Syndrome (Type2). kinda like saying you need to stop smoking or drinking , can take years for something negative to show it's ugly face, even then there's the not me factor. There is nothing like a specific event that triggers insulin dependance, a near death experience brings reality up close and personal....

I have a 40 year old assistant that has been a T2 for 10 years and he still does not check his BG, he knows exactly what I go through every day and see's himself in a completely diffrent situation, he refuses to give up his old life, he can ignore his BG and I cannot, the only time he gets a pull up is when he see's his doctor (every 6 months). He takes his Meds and washes them down with coffee and Donuts....

Most things in life can be measured on a bell curve, diabetes compliance is no exception.....

Is there a support group in your area ?maybe visiting might help. I have a friend who is the same way. A1c of 8 or more is acceptable. Nancy

Girl at work, I should say beautiful girl at work was diagnosed with Type 2. We talked for weeks about it and I made many suggestions knowing her uncle had passed from Type 2 diabetes, and that her diet was the main cause for her. Beautiful overweight girl.

We don't talk about it anymore but I know she is just taking meds and has resumed her normal high carb diet. I want to bring it up but I don't because I don't want anyone telling me what to do, but every time we talk, I am sad and worried.

As a person who neglected his diabetes for over 20 years, I always recall something my doctor said to me. The scene was his office and my A1C was up near 12, I was a mess and i decided I no longer needed doctors. I did not see one again for over 20 years. At that visit, he said rick when you get sick and tired of being sick and tired, you will take care of yourself.

I did finally get sick and tired of sick and tired. In those days I could buy insulin without a script and live pretty well. No the issue was that the longer I went the more difficult it was to get back to a doctor.

I finally found a therapist who helped me find a doctor and once I found one I was able to reenter the medical establishment and then found a an endo and now i see 14 doctors. At any rate this is the best advice I can give:

1. Do not preach, nothing shuts a person down more than preaching.
2. Remember, when they get sick and tired of being sick and tired they will get help.
3. Help them know you will be happy to help if and when they want.
4. Be careful to not judge. We do not know the whole truth of what goes on, and
5. Be compassionate and tell them occasionally the struggles you have. I also tell folks of my issues, in a hope they will tell me theirs. I never ask, but I do make myself the object of not doing the best. Sometimes they will open up. Usually not, but well sometimes.

Good luck......................rick

Amazing response, thanks, Rick. True healing comes from within.

Speaking as a Type 1 diabetic to an audience of Type 2 diabetics, I have longed to say this:

If you CAN prevent yourself from developing diabetes that would be great, but you have no guarantees.

To control Type 2 diabetes is better than not controlling it.

The thing that preventing developing Type 2 and controlling Type 2 have in common? A better diet and exercise. These are in your power to change. But don't change everything at once--it's too much. Start by eating a little better. Then make yourself take the stairs instead of the elevator. Buy some really nice fruit and make that your dessert a few nights a week. Walk to the library and check out a good book. When you're finished, walk back, return it and get a new one.

You may have developed some bad habits health-wise. You CAN change them. I would say this to any friend: Kick this disease to the curb where it belongs!!