When the doctor told you

when my doctor told me that i was now a diabetic. he told me like he was delivering my mail or something, you have diabetes (mail).
but my first thoughts weren’t oh god nooooo not meeee… but does this mean the pain will go away?
ive got gout in both knees and feet. so sometimes i cant move because of it when it flairs up. :-/ so was thinking if i cant feel it its not there.
so howed it go for you when you was told?

The doctor was pretty matter of fact. Told he my symptoms and she said “sounds like your diabetic lets test your sugar”, “your blood sugar is 525 yep your diabetic”.
My first thought was “Crap” not a end of the world thought just a my luck sucks thought

When my doctor told me he said you have diabetes and left the room. I thought no I don’t, he’s made a mistake, I can’t have diabetes. I think I was in shock for a few days! I actually expected he was going to call me and say oh sorry I made a mistake. It took awhile to actually sink in with me it was all about denial. Then came the meds, then came the insulin, after that I really started to let it all sink in! Oooh I really have diabetes don’t I! I started doing a lot of reading and learning it helped me accept it better. Then finally it sunk in. I think I was in shock or something. I never in a million years thought I had diabetes. I knew something was wrong but I didn’t know what. I’ll never forget when my doctor told me I have diabetes. I guess my way of handling it mentally was to go into denial for a little bit. Its strange but that’s how I reacted. I expected my doctor to educate me on diabetes not just walk out, I didn’t even get a pamphlet or anythng. I think doctors need to educate there patients more and at least give them a pamphlet or something. I had to learn all on my own about my disease as all of us probably had to. Doctors need to take more time and help out newly diagonsed people more its really sad. They just tell us we have diabetes and then leave the room. Were like we have what! The doctors need to be more sensitive to our needs. So that’s my story about finding out I had diabetes :slight_smile:

Well… the gynecologist did a glucose in urine test on me, as a hunch, because I had been having all these yeast infections that would just not go away… Except, I didn’t know she was doing a glucose in urine. She originally was just checking to see that I didn’t have a UTI. Well, she came back in the room all pale, and just shocked. She said “your glucose in urine is very, very, very high…” She wouldn’t even say how high. She looked like she had just seen a ghost. I think she took it worse than me! lol Eventually, I went to a free clinic they have, in my town, for the indigent, and yes… my A1C was 10.5%, with a fasting of 235… So, I had Diabetes. Oh well. :slight_smile:

wow thanks for the replies.
looks like doctors need some more training on giving the diagnosis the world over. but i think it must be hard to tell someone that they dont just have a cold… my doc passed me on to a nurse who didn’t have a clue on things she was just winding me up as i had questions but she didn’t have the answers. thankfully shes not there anymore and has now been replaced with someone that knows whats what.
ive now done 12 hrs of diabetes training and my head still spins…

I was 9 in '85. The Dr. came in the 2 bed room in the pediatric care unit where I had been for 2 days asleep. I suppose I was a bad way as I had lost sight the night before and had DKA. I suppose my A1c would have been around 15-20% as my lab BG was 800. The ER Dr. that DXed me left for Mexico city as an 7.5 earthquake had just happened there.
At any rate, the Dr came in and stood by the side of the bed. He said that I was a diabetic now and this meant that I would have to change what I ate. this meant not eat candy ever again. Also, that I would have complications throughout life, but if I didnt eat candy and took care of my diabetes that those complications wouldnt happen till I was older. My next memory of the time was a nurse handing me an orange and a syringe.

For me, it wasn’t a shock to actually find out because I suspected I had it and went to the doctors specifically to be tested. The day I started insulin though, I cried. The nurse was supposed to give me my shot that morning & I had her all upset because I was crying. By the time she had me calmed down, she was upset and couldn’t give me the shot. The doctor had an emergency at the hospital and wasn’t there but she made me wait until he got back. He had a waiting room full of patients and still sat and talked to me for about an hour – so, some doctors do care!

Mine was very easy. I suspected diabetes from my symptoms, and asked for a blood sugar test. When the nurse on the phone said my fasting was 325 I didn’t know what that meant, but said, “so that means I have diabetes?” At time I was misdiagnosed Type 2, so I took the pills, tested twice a day and didn’t change my diet at all. All was well for a year +. My actual shock came when I realized I was type 1, but even that was buffered because I had been going so crazy researching to learn about LADA, that hearing I had been right was a relief. It was only on the way home from the endo that I thought “Why am I happy that I’ve just been told I’m type 1 and will need to use insulin for the rest of my life or I’ll die??” I’m at three years, maybe suddenly at 5 years the shock will set in!

But yes, I couldn’t agree more that doctors need more education and some of them need better “bedside manner” in general and a combination of the two when telling someone they have diabetes. They need a balance between acknowledging how life changing it can be and giving the person hope that they can learn to manage it and live a full life.

The matter of factness attitude by my PCP didn’t bother me to much, it was the way the doctor at the hospital seemed to be talking down to me. I had explained to her that I had grown up taking care of my mother and had fought with her for years about her poor care of her type-1 diabetes but she still treated me as if I knew nothing.