When to admit defeat?

I started the Omnipod yesterday and it's going great. What is not so great is my first time placement of my DEx on my upper arm and my update of the software. My readings are more than 50 points (or whatever you call them!) off, showing lots of lows that are not true when tested on TWO glucose meters.

I am assuming my upper arm is not the best place for my body and/or the software update is wonky. It said it successfully updated.

When do you admit defeat and rip the Dex off and try somewhere else? Should I give it one more day?

Thanks, folks! Feeling frustrated.

As annoying as it is, I would wait 24 hours. I had a sensor placement on my hip once that I thought was unredeemable, the line on my receiver was all crazy and jagged. But after a day it calmed down and was just as accurate as any other.

Thanks, Elena. I will give it more time. I am just so impatient now that I am on the Omnipod and enjoying almost perfect numbers for the first time in years. Otherwise, I love my Dex!

Linny, when you updated the software it was in essence like starting from the beginning again from scratch. Any time I place a new sensor I give it at least 24 and sometimes 48 hours before I "admit defeat". But I have never actually admitted defeat. There is only one time I removed a sensor before at least 7 days had passed and that was the first time I put it on the back of my arm 2 years ago. I must have hit a nerve because it hurt so much I just couldn't leave it. I didn't call it in to Dex at the time but have since then learned that they will replace any sensor that does not last 7 days regardless of the reason. There are a few things you can do to help get the Dexcom more in line with your meter. One I learned recently is if it is REALLY off - like by >20% then on a straight arrow, calibrate, wait 15 minutes, calibrate, wait 15 minutes and calibrate. Entering in the 3 readings seems to get the Dex back on track. Don't despair and don't get frustrated it doesn't do any good and it will likely raise your blood sugar. Good luck.

Agreed: the first day can be great IF your sugar during calibration hours was steady and close to normal range, but more often it will be a bit off before a couple of additional calibrations have gone by. Try to follow the general rules for Dex calibration:

1)Try, as much as possible, to feed the Dex calibration fingersticks when your arrow is flat and your sugar's not likely to be rapidly rising or falling any time soon.

2) Don't enter fingersticks to calibrate more often than you need to. When the Dex is right, or close to right, then let it be right. Don't "help" it with extra readings, which in fact don't help. If you can give the Dex only the two fingersticks per day it asks for at relatively flat sugars, that's ideal and you should have stellar accuracy after a day or so from starting a sensor. Get used to the idea that you're going to do more fingersticks than you're going to tell the Dex about, and tell it what it needs to know only when it's significantly off on a level sugar.

Once it's locked on you should be able to get amazing results even with a back of the arm site.

Keep in mind the Dexcom does not actually measure true blood glucose. So, no, it's not perfect. Not by a long shot. Perserverance rules, lots of it. There are times when you will want to rip it off and keep it off. Don't. The most use you will get out of it is a better understanding of you "day" as a diabetic. Your normal BG meter will always provide a better instant knowledge of your BG level. I still average between 3 and 4 meter tests per day. Most days only two just for calibrations. But there are days when things just don't seem right and I test a lot.

Bottom line though... I'm now at a 6.0 A1c!!!!! Couldn't get below 8.0 before the Dexcom. And my daily average line (from the Dexcom Studio software) is flatter than ever.

Linny, how is it doing? I’m finding the accuracy on mine to be pretty terrible also. When I wear a sensor in my hip, after the first 24 hours it’s rare if Dex and meter are more than 10 points different. I’m about 36 hours in to this arm one and finding it rare that meter and Dex are close. :frowning: I’m really liking the placement otherwise, though.

Ive been on the Dex since August and my A1C came down from 11.7 to a 8.3. I credit the Dex with this. I started the Omnipod this week so I am crossing my fingers (!) for a better A1C 3 months from now.

As to how it's going on my arm - still unhappy with the readings after two days. After this session, I'm switching back to my abdo and using my arms for the Omnipod.

I was at a TCOYD conference today and the head doctor, Steven Edelman, doses off his Dexcom.