When were you diagnosed?

Hi Vivian, Our stories are similar. I was first diagnosed with Diabetes during my last pregnancy and was insulin dependent during the last few months of the pregnancy. It went away the second my son was born only to return a few years later. It has been a struggle ever since. I’ve tried Metformin, Avandia, Januvia, Prandin, Byetta etc. It’s been 3 years of trying meds and now my Dr. just started me on Lantus at night and Januvia in the morning. My fasting sugars are always high and I tend to stay in the 200’s throughout the day. I’m very active with 4 kids and have been struggling since day 1 trying to get this under control. I’m curious, what was your daughters first signs of diabetes? Also, are kids numbers usually higher than adults? It’s so nice to meet other people going through the same struggles and giving each other advise.

Lori

three days before I turned 16! what a lovely birthday present ha

IM really glad that I got diagnosed when I did because I don’t have to rely on my parents to do things for me, I manage it by myself (and doctor, of course)

I was diagnosed in 2004 with gestional diabetes then it moved to type 2. Now having lost 100 pounds I am controlled by diet and exercise only!! YEA!!

Visit my blog to read about the rest of my story.

“Get Up and Get Moving”

It is neat getting to know each others story’s and where they are at now with diabetes

I was only 7 1/2 when I was diagnosed on 4th May 2000, I can’t remember life without Diabetes either, and I didn’t really understand what it was, although I was friends with a girl in my class that was diagnosed at 3, so she really helped me, sadly I don’t keep in contact with her now, but I have met several other people with Diabetes that I do talk too.
I am also the only Diabetic in my family, even extended family, but my sister has another auto-immune problem, so apparently my parents are both carrying a recessive gene for auti-immune problems :/, but only on their female genes, as my brother is fit and well.

I was diagnosed at 7 … Been tough throughout teenage years !! … and coz i didnt understand diabetes ive got some complications ! … Make sure u take the best control as u can …

I no longer can eat sweets, choc or cakes … bread, potatoes … etc … as my body is so sensitive to any carbs !

x x

I spent my 3rd birthday in hospital being diagnosed in Aug 1980. I was lucky being diagnosed so young as I don’t know any other way. Its a ■■■■■ - theres no denying it but when I’m having a bad day with it I remember my sister in law who is in a wheelchair with MS. I can still do everything for myself so I don’t see that I’ve got any right to complain.

04/26/1994 ~ 5 days after my youngest daughter was born. I was 29 years old.

My primary care physician was a great guy, but he did not understand diabetes very well or the whole concept of injecting insulin. However, he is the only medical doctor that has called me at home a few times to see how I was doing. I’ve also had one dentist, but that is another story. He, the med doctor, did decide after two weeks when he was sure I was Type 1 that I needed to see an endocrinologist. I remember the endo, too. He was a donkey (as my daughter says), but he was always able to get me straightened out when I would deviate from what I was supposed to be doing in the beginning.

Hi Daonna F…

I had a temporary problem when I was 14, threatened w/shots but got better, another scare at 22 in the Navy, had to pass a urine test, then back to duty. After a sore throat in 1980, my fam doc refused to see me for F/U, my boss at work asked me to see a co doc. The co doc gave me a clean bill of health and back to work in time for lunch. That night after a few sips of coke it was a meatwagon ride to ER and admitted to the hospital. When the Co doc came in to see me, he gave me hell and ASKED ME WHY my BS was soo high. I guess that was my FORMAL Dx of diabetes.

A few months ago my pcp called me in for a MS talk, “it fits” he said. So now I am being evaluated regarding MS. I guess my having mobility issues (apart from diabetes). more dawson’s finger on my brain than fingers on my hands, diplopia since I was 18 etc etc all factor into this. BTW I have been wearing AFOs (ankle/foot orthotics) for 2 years plus a cane, and sometimes need a walker might also be part of the equation.

No wonder my diabetes has been more problematic or wierd, I seem to fighting more than a couple issues at once.

GOMER

i was diagnosed at 8 months in 1959. after 50 years, i have zero complications; never been incapacitated by a high or a low; never had seizure. i’m either lucky or abnormal or both. still … i’ve never regretted diabetes for a minute. i’m healthier because of it. i cover the white house for a major newspaper. i’ve covered wars and worked in some harsh places, including living out a car for a month covering katrina. in my spare time if referee college and elite soccer. i’ve never told anybody i have diabetes; only my wife, two kids and doctor know. it’s worked well. life is good.

I was diagnosed with Type 1 November 20th, 2009-- 9 days ago, at the age of 25. I have a particular variant of Type 1 that rather than hitting me all at once, slowly progressed. But the antigens showed up, some I’m some weird type 1 I guess.

Anyway, I’m used to the needles already-- the only thing that really worries me is hypo’ing while I’m sleeping. Low blood sugar, and I’m sure I’m not alone on this, is massively uncomfortable for me.

Anyhoo this is my first post but I intend to be a regular from now on so ‘hello’