When

I would check 2 hours after I injected. I have tested right after I have eaten and my bs has not budged!

the docs told me to test 2 hours after I have eaten the first bite of food but I rarely get it right at the 2 hour mark, usually I remember 2 hours and 10 minutes later, hahaha

i test before i eat. and take my fast acting insulin.
then i sometimes wait 15 min. for eating, sometimes i dont.

then i check about 2 hours later.

i just take my lantus about the same hour everyday.
and its usually hours after dinner

If my routine is different I’ll test more often. At the mo, if blds are ok I will do all three at once.

I test as soon as I wake up, before every meal and a couple of hours after and before I go to bed.

I take my Simvastatin @ night. As for insulin, I bolus in connection with every meal, within minutes of starting to eat.

I ALWAYS take my bolus AFTER I eat. What happens if you take your bolus, then don;t feel like eating everything you bolused for ??? With CGM you can see the BG go up and you can stop it with a very small bolus. It is so much easier…so different from when I was first Dx 55 years ago.
Sheila

I was on Lantus for about one year, but due to complications, I had to be taken off. It caused me to get many really bad lows that would throw me into insulin comas while sleeping, regardless of what time of day I injected.

However, I am now on Levimir, and I take Levimir in one thigh, and any correction Humalog in the other thigh- at the same time. I take my Levimir before I go to bed, usually around midnight or 1am. If my blood sugar is normal, then I only take the Levimir.

When eating or drinking (bolusing) I test, then inject depending on what type of food I’m eating. i know that it takes my body about 15 mins to start reacting to the Humalog, so if I’m eating slow acting foods like pasta, I won’t inject insulin until about 20 mins into the meal. If I’m eating something fast acting, like cookies, I’ll inject about 5 mins before.

My BS is pretty good. I haven’t had an A1c for about six months because my doc had to reschedule my last appontment, but it’s been around 7. Which isn’t great, but it’s not bad either. :slight_smile:

I check my BS when I get up in the morning, at lunch time, mid-afternoon, before dinner, two hours after dinner, before bed… so six times a day? Sometimes more. It’s kind of weird. Sometimes my BS will determine what kind of day I have?

i tend to sleep alot especially if my sugars low, what happens is i’ll want to wake up or i’ll “feel” low but my body just ignores it and i go back to sleep, and the feeling goes away, can happen more then once especially if i keep on sleeping or if i oversleep. THEN i pretty much wake up low unless i have a snack. Wonder if i’m having what your had.

i take it once a a day and it works just fine. i do have to worry about lows while i’m sleeping though.

i check my BG every time before i eat and before going to sleep. im type 1 on a pump. i eat about every 3-5 hrs. i usually take my fast acting insulin before i eat. i don’t test after i eat unless ive had something sweeter like cake or other desserts, etc. if i eat a snack i usually test before that also.

Hi Domo, As someone who is also still learning, I thought it might help to hear my new dosing schedule which is working much better. My old doc had me on a simple sliding scale as I think you mentioned you are on - which didn’t seem to make sense to me as it didn’t account for variations in carb intake. Currently, I’m on a set Lantus dose once a day and then for my rapid acting (Apidra), I have a sliding scale for corrections of high BG in addition to a 1 unit:10g carbs bolus for meal times. So basically, before I eat, i check my BG, see how many units i need from the sliding scale to correct a high and then add 1 unit for every 10 grams of carbs I’m about to eat… This way you have more flexibility in what you eat (as someone else pointed out, only using a sliding scale really limits you). As for when I check BGs, I check between 5-6 times a day - fasting, before each meal, mid-afternoon and bedtime. Good luck and keep learning, I will too!

more learning! ugh. Thanks good luck to you to