Where/How dispose old insulin pumps?

Searched and couldn’t find the answer to this question, so here it is:

• How does one dispose of an old insulin pump in an environmentally responsible way? Who will take them? Electronics recyclers, like BestBuy or Goodwill?

Explanation: I’m writing about the actual insulin pump, not the supplies like infusion sets and reservoirs. The question also applies to old OmniPod PDMs (Personal Diabetes Manager). The pumps and PDMs contain circuit boards and the displays can contain mercury and arsenic, but other than competitive trade-in programs I haven’t found any of the still-in-business pump makers who offer recycling of older pumps.

If pump is still working, it may be donated here:
https://cr3diabetes.org/donate-supplies/

Supplies can often be donated to local diabetes camps, and camp administrators/medical personnel ensure they go to appropriate folks.
Contact local ADA for options in your area.

1 Like

If it still works, don’t throw it away! Either hang on to it as a spare, or give it to someone.

I lent my backup PDM to someone last week. Those things are great to have as spares.

2 Likes

Thanks for the suggestions! Alas, C3 takes only

Medtronic 630G and 670G Insulin Pumps

I have an old Snap pump and OmniPod PDMs that are 8+ years old. Local diabetes donation sites will not take the PDMs, I’ve already checked.

I no longer use these pumps, supplies are long gone, hence my original question…

If you really think they’re beyond use to anyone, check with your county. Ours offers electronic recycling events twice a year or so. For some reason, they charge to take TVs, but everything else is free and goes to a place that breaks them down into reusable parts.

I’ve taken mine to Best Buy. Never had a problem.

1 Like

You can either put it in the drawer I have it all my old diabetes stuff, or you can put it in electronics waste… most cities have them every few months or so.

1 Like

@Timothy

You can either put it in the drawer I have it all my old diabetes stuff, or you can put it in electronics waste… most cities have them every few months or so.
How big is your “D” drawer? Inquiring minds want to know.

I have an “M” drawer and a “D” drawer for medicines and diabetic supplies. If I need more drawers for diabetic stuff, I’ll have to relocate my cycling and workout clothes.

I actually have a kitchen drawer and two cardboard boxes in my house and 2 more boxes in my garage.
It’s an illness. I just can’t get rid of some stuff that I know I will never need. Not until I throw it out that is.

1 Like

Just from being in the Omnipod Facebook group, I know there are people who need the old style PDM because for some reason they are not able to get them for no charge from anyone.

If you use Omnipod, they take them back. Ask for a recycling bag when you order pumps and then send them back every 6 months or so.

Someone kind on this site helped me get some cartridges for my old animas pump so I have a future back-up if needed.

I sent my Animas to a family of three diabetics (mother,son, daughter) in Hungary.

2 Likes