Where I was, Where I'm going

My introduction to the life of carb counting came at 14 years old, just before the start of my Freshman year in high school. I remember that entire summer was a marathon of urination, and after researching the symptoms I decided I probably had Diabetes. After asking my parents, they told me I was crazy, and some of my friends said I should eat more salt so I stop peeing lol. Needless to say, towards the end of the summer I began to violently vomit and entered the hospital with a blood sugar of 460 and DKA. About a year after my diagnosis I began pump treatment and have been on it ever since.

Currently, I go to Rutgers University in New Brunswick and finishing up my Biology Degree. When I'm done doing all that hard work, I'm going to treat myself to at least 6 years of more by going to Med School, either at Robert Wood Johnson or NJMS, depending on who chooses to give me more scholarship money. Naturally, I'm drawn towards endocrinology where I can help others in my shoes with not only managing their condition, but an empathetic ear and some good advice. I'm a firm believer that a doctor should be his own best patient, and I've been working my best to stay in good condition, from fanatically checking my blood sugar to working out 4 or 5 days a week, but as is the nature of this disease, sometimes things just go out of your control.

I'm very inspired by the other doctors who pursued their goals and paved the way for others like me. I hope to one day follow in their footsteps to make living with diabetes an even smaller deviation from normal life.