Where to start? Simple Menu?

Back after about a year, and no farther- although I have insurance for now (until I'm fully employed again)- but almost impossible to get meds approved without 6-8 weeks for approval for each new one.
Keep looking here and elsewhere for just a 1 week menu plan I can buy and follow, but found link for one day- printed, can't get back there. I find it impossible to even get a start... Lost over $ 80 last week in groceries by forgetting to put in fridge, or left lunch on counter. Worn out spending last 2 1/2 hours on this and 3 other sites looking for just a starting point healthy menu for one week to try and get a grip. Thought I had appt with Dietician yesterday @ 3:00 - was at 1:00. Use to feel relatively competent and hopeful, absolutely insane with sugars 250-450, or just other mental issues? Either way, can't get the slightest start.
Anyway, don't want to think anymore-- Anyone know where I can mindlessly print a 1 week menu to buy, eat, even if I hate it, to at least get a bit of hope?

You might find some helpful tidbits here http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/guide/myplate-food-groups-and-portions

I wish I could help you. Tell you exactly what to eat. But that really isn't going to fix things. In the end I found that what really helped me was a low carb diet and choosing to make my own meals. And you can choose what you want to eat. I often start with an cheese omelet with a side of sausage or bacon. I like to have soup and salad for lunch, avoiding pasta, rice, potatoes or beans. And then for dinner I have a serving of meat or seafood with 2 or three sides of green veggies. And since I have diabetes, food is my treatment, so I choose a filet mignon or scallops.

I second the low carb diet. It will help you to control your blood glucose. It is fairly easy to get started - just limit carbohydrates to less than 50 grams per day. Then eat as much protein and fat as you want. It is similar to the Atkins diet or the Paleo diet. I adjust based on what my meter tells me. If I go over 110 mg/dl after a meal I will eliminate the food that I think caused it or at least cut back the portion. By following the plan I have normalized my blood glucose and minimized the risk of diabetic complications. As a bonus I have found that most of my symptoms at diagnosis have now gone or are going.

My breakfast consists of 3 egg omelet made with 1/4 cup of heavy cream and bacon or sausage with hot salsa on the omelet. That works out to about 5 carbs. Lunch is a salad or fresh vegetables and 1 oz cheese. That's another 3-5 carbs. Dinner is meat, a vegetable side, and perhaps a salad. Dinner adds 5-10 carbs. That's a total of 13 to 20 carbs per day.

I avoid all sugar, cereals, bread, candies (I do allow myself 1 90% cocoa square per day), pop (except diet pop), deserts, potatoes and other high starch vegetables, beans, corn, popcorn, ...

Here is the Atkins list of allowed foods for induction. This is where I started. However, don't feel compelled to follow any one diet. Diets are just guidelines. It is what your meter tells you that is really important.

I also recommend that you visit blood sugar 101. And I recommend Hold the Toast for receipes.

Whenever I need to get a grip and start over, I go the extreme. I don't eat anything at all for the first day, but I do test my blood sugar maybe 5 times to see what's going on. For the next week I'll add one or two things a day, but keep carbs very low and also (in my case) calories. By the end of the first week my mind has cleared, I have my priorities back in place, and I can proceed. I get my hope from my own body, when I can communicate with it and know what it needs (not simply what I want, or think I want). No one can do that FOR me, I have to do it myself. I bet you can, too.

As one who is 30 years plus type 2; I find skipping meals for me a bad approach.

I would certainly organize my meals into 3 meals a day at a regular time and then drive 1200 calories. The reason for this is simple and to keep liver and its big buffer kept in the barn and prevent it overloading the body with excess glucose in case one's insulin production is lower-low. The liver works off inverse insulin levels to decide how much glucose to dump in. If your insulin levels are low , liver thinks you need lots of glucose added ( when you don't.)

Good luck and blessings.

jims, after 30 years you are an expert on your body and have done a great job figuring out what it needs. Before I started my extreme diet, my fasting blood sugars were rising and I suspected my liver was the problem. I was very surprised to find this is not (at least presently) so. Within a week, my morning BS had dropped from 110 to 78 and it has stayed between 75 and 85 for the past 3 months. I have yet to figure out what this means for me. I have eaten low carb for 7 years (goal less than 30g/day). The only difference now is a severe reduction in calories. While I've had great success with my blood sugar with this diet, I'm just not sure where to go from here because 500-750 calories a day is pretty bleak for a long term solution. I think the thing that's relevant for Thurkman is this is an individual study. There is no set diet or agenda that works for everyone, HOWEVER you can and should jump right in and do the study for yourself. Your meter will guide you, and there's a lot of information on this site to show you how others have done it. Personally, I like this kind of stuff. I might not like it so well if I'd done all the work and the good results didn't follow, though.

Consumne Jan :

Excellent comments. Until I canned the carbs - grains back did not have proper control.

I agree on the low carb. I ended up running 1200 calories a day hoping that was temporary and I could up it a little. Not there yet.

My take on the 500-700 calorie diet is a inital short term approach to wring excess glucose out of body, get fat out of pancreas and liver and get it running properly.

What is amazing to me is that those on bariatric surgery start back up on a 600 calorie diet and adjust up slowly. University of Newcastle upon tyne run at 600 starvation extreme diet and also see the pancreas/liver come back to work better. MRI spectography does in fact catch these organs coming back to work.

I agree that is a tough long term stratagy.. My take is that this is just a inital step to haul body up short and get it going better.

When I started my 1200 calorie diet 6 years ago, I was told I was crazy and that was not enough carbs.

Weight balance and body health are saying something else.

Best wishes, good health and blessings!

Call your local hospital and ask if they have a Diabetes Education Dept. Ask if they can get you a 1800 Cal diet with a 2 week meal plan. If you are good at the Internet then try www.eatright.org
Richard