Who else has hypoglycemia unawareness?

Still…good job.

I really appreciate your wise perspective on HGU, Theodore – thanks for the posting.

Personally, when I injected I had a lot of lows I didn’t feel. My hubby would come home from work and find me sprawled out at least 3 X a week. Twice I passed out at work. The end of 2008 I started the omnipod, and now I hardly ever pass out. I feel my lows more often than not. It seems to me the more lows I have the less I can feel them. As far as the test strips… talk to your Dr. about that. My Dr. prescribes that I check 10 X a day.

look into dexcom 7, it’s not uncomfortable at all and it could help you a lot.

Oh heck, Mike! You just have to get a handle on knowing what your levels are. I assume that you are not in contact with your doctors about this???

I am on a Medtronic Minimed pump and love it to death. The only better thing there is for me is the CGM device that goes with it (of course, extra $$$). It continually checks your levels without you having to take the time out to poke yourself. You can get coverage for strips with DR support, but you must visit one to get it!! I’ve gone at low as 43 but I finally felt it. Shakes, feeling funky, sweating, uncontrolled hands. Those are my main symptoms. I truly believe that a professional told me that those lows are just as damaging to your system as the highs. (I just can’t remember who.) So, please, consult your endo about this and maybe he/she would recommend a pump with CGM (continuous glucose monitoring). You need to maintain a balance. That means on both ends.

I hope you get a grip on it soon.

Lois

I developed hypo unawareness years ago in my late teens/early 20s. I inadvertantly solved it by letting myself “run high” for a few years (did this for lots of reasons, including fear of going low at work, fear of getting in a car accident, not always making the best food choices, etc). Made my A1C crap, but it ironically gave me back the ability to feel my lows. I thought this really odd, but my endo said it’s not uncommon. I am now feeling symptoms again in the 60s, which is very reassuring! I am trying really hard to keep my control tighter. My big issue is that I sometimes get false hypo symptoms when I’m in the 90s or low 100s. This has resulted in grabbing for glucose tabs by mistake when I really didn’t need them.

I tried a Dexcom and while I know many have had good success with it, I did not. Got too many false readings, so back to finger poking. But I do have a pump which helps a lot with control, and that in turn helps to prevent the hypo unawareness.

That would be me for awhile now.

I don’t have hypoglycemia unawareness, but my symptoms are very subtle, and I have to be paying attention. The only symptom I get is a mild sort of “chilly” feeling, and very mild nervousness. No shaking, no sweating, nothing else. And it doesn’t start until I’m in the 50’s. I’ve been down as low as 32, and not had any more severe symptoms than that. But as long as I don’t pass it off as the room being cold, or having a panic attack, I can treat it, and I’m OK. Which is good, since I live alone, and if I passed out, there would be no one there to help!

I felt the same way about being tethered to something…I ended up trying the Omnipod system last summer (was still apprehensive as I’m quite vain & the thing is bulky & noticable under my clothes, but no tubing was a huge plus)…just a thought :wink:

Technically I’m not UNaware…I have delayed awareness…I don’t have symptoms til I’m in the low 30’s…but sometimes others can tell. Last night my 10 yr old son brought me a fruit rollup & told me I should check my blood because I looked out of it. I checked and was at 37…but I hadn’t felt “off” at all.

I’m chimming in here too-i am unaware of lows & highs. It is easier to tell a 300 than a 30 for me but it takes a meter to tell me the real deal. It is a nuisance & results in many extra finger sticks a day! My docs have told me that every T1 diabetic will get to this stage at some point. I don’t know about T2.

I’m getting there. I can tell when my BG is low, but it’s only when i get into the low 40s. Amazingly, i’ve been below 20, and been able to function perfectly. I would get mad if someone looked at me funny, but i could do most everything to some extent.