Who? what? when? where? why?

Who were you with when you were first diagnosed? What were you doing when you had that thought "something is wrong"? When were you diagnosed? Where were you when you first heard the D word? Why do you feel your one of the lucky ones with diabetes?

WHO: my mom was with me when i first heard the news
WHAT: i was in cancun for my dads buinsess trip and i was so tired and thirsty and weighed 106lbs. i definately knew something was wrong when i walked into my room one day back at home and saw empty water bottles everywhere.
WHEN: march 30, 2006
WHERE: laying in ICU. i was terrified! i had no idea what Diabetes even was. major shock!
WHY: i remember my sister calling me while i was in the hospital crying…i told her that i was glad that i diagnosed with this and not her or my brother because they both have a huge fear of needles and ive always been ok with it. i feel it has made me a stronger person and if i can fight diabetes i can do anything!

Who: Solo, Dr. left a message on my voicemail???
What: A truck full of H2O Bottles, tired, and bathroom breaks like a pregnant lady.
When, Thanksgiving 08
Where Work
Why lucky: Hmm still working through that one. interested in other responses.

Who? I don’t know. Probably my Parents.
What? I didn’t know anything was wrong. I was only 3.
When? Dec. 1961
Where? I don’t remember but I was 6.
Why? I CAN control it.

Who: my wife had been telling me for a few weeks that I had classic symptoms of diabetes.

What: I had nose surgery and the pain and stress triggered the diabetes that was just waiting to happen.

When: Fall 1997.

Where: at home

Why: no major physical complications yet.

Who- my doctor at the time. I didn’t believe it and wanted an a1c to prove it wasn’t just a fluke. He refused, said it wasn’t necessary, he would do one after I’d been on meds a few months.
What- I don’t feel it, even when it is over 400.
Where- ?
Why- heredity mostly

Who: My wife and primary care physician.
What: I was brushing my teeth and realized I was too weak to do it. Couldn’t life my arm. Couldn’t quench my thirst no matter how much I drank.
When: June 15, 2006, around 10 AM.
Where: Room at my primary care physicians. As soon as we walked in, he ordered a blood and urine test. He came back in a few minutes and said something like "Bad news, you have diabetes. You need to go to the emergency room. We have already made the call."
Why: My BG was 500. I could have been dead. I am also an engineer and control freak so feedback loop systems ( poke, test, inject, poke test, adjust) work well for me and I CAN CONTROL IT.

Who: My best friend and husband, George.
What: Water, Hangovers without drinking, Confusion and to put it politely, general moodiness.
When: December 08
Where: ER for dehydration.
Lucky?: I’m lucky to have the time to control D, not the other way around.

Who: My mom
What: I was 5 so it didn’t occur to me that anything was wrong. My kindergarten teacher yelled at me for drinking and going to the bathroom so often, but I couldn’t help it so I didn’t see how it was problem.
When: 10-23-1978
Where: Either at the pediatrician or the hospital since we straight there from the pediatrician
Why: Even though I didn’t manage it well for many years, my health is still fairly good, all things considered, and I try to use my experience to help others avoid bad choices like I made.

Who: With the doctor the first time and with my mom and the doctor the next time.
What: I was learning how to take care of a 1 month old - being a new mom.
When: I had gestational diabetes… it went away for about a month after my son was born and then signs started to creep back.
Where: I heard it twice… Both times in the doctors office… but told the first time it would go away after the baby was born.
Why: It has helped to concentrate on me. To remind me to not take things for granted. Don’t sweat the small stuff. And be forgiving with myself when I slip… and ultimately I have a choice on how things go with my health.

What kind of an engineer? I worked in research, process development. Envinronment: approval and investigative field work. Pulp& paper process research. An last as a control engineer. Could not make a good living after 20 years so I became a janitor and general repair man.

WHO: I was with my husband Kyle when the doctor told us the news.
WHAT: I was home in bed for about 3 days already with flu like symptoms; fever, weakness, dizziness, a lot of vomiting. I cannot take in any food nor lliquids.
WHEN: August of 2007. I lost contiousness. They had to rush me to the Emergency room.
WHERE: Recovery Room from my Internist.
WHY: It has been controlled now. I just have to take medication, diet and exercise. And I Have a wonderful amily who supports me.

Who were you with when you were first diagnosed?
My mom and my dad, at the pediatricians office.

What were you doing when you had that thought “something is wrong”?
It was a couple of weeks before I was diagnosed, I was only 11, and I didnt feel well. I lost alot of weight, and I was already small for my age. I always needed the bathroom, and was always thirsty. At first they thought side effects from medication for a sore throat.

When were you diagnosed?
May 1998

Where were you when you first heard the D word?
The pediatricians office

Why do you feel your one of the lucky ones with diabetes?
Im actually hoping thats meant to be sarcastic! Anyway, it doesnt run in my family or anything, I was always small for my age and I ate fairly healthy as a kid, played outside loads and all. The told me autoimmune due to the common strep throat. and thats that.

Who were you with when you were first diagnosed? My parents, I was still 16

What were you doing when you had that thought “something is wrong”? Disney World, 1974, it is not the happiest palce on earth for everyone.

When were you diagnosed? June 1974, I was released fromt eh hospital on my 17th birthday

Where were you when you first heard the D word? Tough to say, I was in first grade when my mom was diagnosed.

Why do you feel your one of the lucky ones with diabetes? I’m not there yet. I remain pretty angry about it even thoguh it has been 34 years.

Who: I was by myself.

What: I was driving my van down a highway when I received the call from my doctor. He was the one “in a panic”. He insisted that we do a re-test.

When: May 16, 2006

Where: My diabetes was discovered after I gave urine and blood samples for a physical. I was not displaying any visible symptoms. My reading was around 200.

Why: My Love Language (ever heard of that?) is Gifts of Service. I like doing things for others. I have turned my type 2 diabetes into a mission to help educate and support others.

Who: with my mom in the doctor’s office

What: I had just recovered from a cold after an out-of -state trip with my high school band. I was constantly hungry, thirsty , kept eating, yet kept losing weight.My parents thought that was unusual, so I was taken to the doctor’s office. I was not vomiting, but I was somewhat weak. I do not know how high my sugar was.

When: Fall 1967

Where: While In the Doctor’s office, I received an immediate insulin injection… I sobbed in my mother’s arms when my lovely, kind GP said that I would have to be hospitalized. I began to say how much I did not want to go. He said ,in his slow, southern accent. “We don’t want to upset her”. Henceforth, my mother brought me to the hospital every day for two weeks for a morning and an afterschool blood sugar test: The glucometers at that time were the size of an office copy machine and only existed in a small office in the hospital or doctor’s office.We had to wait an hour and a half for the results.Afterwards, I would get my daily dosage modified ( insulin shots NPH once a day). I began to feel so much better after insulin levels and glucose were stabilized. I did not like the urine ketone strip ritual, but that was all we had at the time…

Why I am " Lucky": I have lived 41 years with diabetes, and now have an insulin pump, .Diabetes is not any easier to manage, but I am so blessed to have lived long enough so that diabetes management, for me, is now more effective. I can vary my daily activities and eat when I want without negative consequences, due to the pump technology. I am going to try to get a CGMS so I can achieve even better control… Back in the day, a negative endocrinologist ( not my wonderful GP) told my parents I probably would not live past 40… I am now fifty-four ( 54), fine, fabulous, and fit after 41 years as a Type 1 diabetic: Too blessed to be stressed!!! I do not call my situation not “lucky”,: I believe that one of my life’s purposes is to show other’s that diabetes can be lived with and lived well. So I “abound” in His path for me…

Who were you with when you were first diagnosed? my mom and my sister
What were you doing when you had that thought “something is wrong”? it was a tag-a-long visit to my sister’s appt.
When were you diagnosed? dec. 30, 1997
Where were you when you first heard the D word? right there in the doctor’s office
Why do you feel your one of the lucky ones with diabetes? Well, D had made no appearence through my family until me. But my mom always tells me that this happened to me because God knew my sister’s weren’t strong enough to handle! That encouraged me to keep fighting the fight and make the best of it. I did so many school papers, speeches, and projects on Type 1 diabetes because it came so easy to me. I feel lucky in the fact I have a family who supports me and an excellent D team behind me every step of the way. The Omnipod has definately made me feel a little more lucky! Yes, I do have my rough days just like everyone else…but I try to stay positive…this is MY life after all!!!

Who: I was with my parents. It’s hard to remember exactly. The doctor told me in his office, I suppose, and I think both my mom and dad were with me. But later that day, I remember, my mother standing, looking at me and crying. She gave me a hug. The next day I went to the hospital.
What: I kept eating a lot and losing weight. I was thirsty all the time. I couldn’t sleep through the night without getting up to use the bathroom and drink as much as I could hold. I still remember the feeling of trying to quench that thirst.
When: I was diagnosed in the summer of 1981, the summer after my high school graduation.
Where: I can’t remember when I first heard the D word. Years before I was diagnosed, probably from some public service announcement on TV. I was so stupid (okay, I’ll go easy on myself) ignorant at the time, I thought D was no big D, you just took insulin and you were all right. What’s the big D? Boy, was I wrong…
Why: See above. I’m not so callous about the things people face to get through this life. I’m a nicer person. Also, I take better care of myself because I have to. Who knows how long I would have kept drinking if I were not diabetic. I will be 20 years sober in May.

Dear John.

It is possible that in some ways the diabetes may have pushed us in a positive direction for sure being more sensitive to others and not smoking or drinking and may be exercising more. Before diabetes I would also have said so what you inject insulin and you are fine. Ha, Ha.

Who: I was with my mom
What: I was drinking a whole gallon of kool-aid by myself
When: I was diagnosed July 2003
Where: I was in the hospital, but since I was 9, I didnt really pay attention to it
Why: Because God says I can handle it