Who? what? when? where? why?

1. When I went DKA (age 10), I was home with my brother (who was asleep) and my mom had gone out that morning to drive some scouts to a scouting event. I woke up and crawled to the refrigerator for water (I was drinking gallons a day that summer). My mom came home and found me in the kitchen floor and she and my teenaged brother rushed me to the ER. My dad came later (he was a firefighter and on duty). When he showed up at the hospital, they thought he was the ambulance driver.
  2. See #1.
  3. 1990 - fourth of july weekend
  4. I was coming out of a coma and they let me know. It didn’t mean much to me.
  5. I don’t really believe in luck, but I feel good that I have never really let it bring me down. Then again, I don’t believe any of us were lucky in having the condition. I guess we’re lucky we’re still alive and going strong!

Who: I was all by myself. What:I was driving and I couldn't see. When: I really can't remember. I had a liver transplant in 1990 and the anti-rejection drug gave me Diabetes. Where: In the Doctor's office. Why:I hate it!!!

Who: My mom was with me at the E.R.
What: Drinking over a gallon of water a day, Groggy feeling at all times, Losing 30 pounds
When: January 28, 2005
Where: At the doctor’s office while going over my family medical history
Why: Because when I was admitted to the hospital the doctors told me so, seeing how my BS was well over a 1000 they were surprised I hadn’t slipped into a coma. That and for my diabetes team at the Naomi Berrie Diabetes Center, who contribute to the hope and strength that keeps me going =)

Who: At work when the Dr. called. "Uh, yeah. You do have diabetes."
What: Even though I was assured that gestational diabetes goes away right after birth, I continued to test. No symptoms really, except high BG.
When: Officially-Oct 2007. Unofficially-Oct 2004(?)
Where: When I first heard about possibly having diabetes, I was in my obstetrician’s office, pregnant with baby #1.
Why: Er, I still don’t feel lucky.

Who: My mom
What were you doing?: Sticking my head under the faucet in the bathroom late at night to try to quench the constant thirst I was feeling.
When: 1994.
Where: at my Grandparent;s house. My grandfather was diabetic and we tested me on his meter, and the result was just “HIGH”.
Why: Well, I don’t feel all that lucky considering. But I guess I’m lucky that I had such a great pediatric endocrinologist and diabetes team growing up.

Who: My fiance and best friend Travis.
What: Drinking at least three liters of water a day and still being thirsty, not to mention the peeing and vomiting.
When: Jan. 10th 2009
Where: Emerg. I was DKA
Why: Because I have a great support system and the time to manage it.

who: my parents
what: didnt really have that thought as i was only 10
when: february 2002
where: at the doc’s
why: still hadnt figured that out…

Who were you with when you were first diagnosed? My mom and little sisters. i was 11 at the time
What were you doing when you had that thought “something is wrong”? I didn’t think there was anything wrong with me because I also had an eating disorder, so losing 75lbs in 2 months seemed like a godsend!
When were you diagnosed? august of 1998
Where were you when you first heard the D word? I vaguely heard it at the doctors but mainly at the hospital
Why do you feel your one of the lucky ones with diabetes? Because I know Im stronger than my diabetes and if it happened to anyone else in my family, im not sure how they would react to it

i replied to this discussion before, however i hadn’t answered the “Why do you feel your one of the lucky ones with diabetes?” question, saying that i still hadn’t figured it out. well, now i did. and my answer is

i feel im lucky because i have the money to buy the medication (people dx with diabetes in the poor countries, who can’t buy medication live for less than one year).
Lucky because i have to eat healthy food for the rest of my life (non diabetics find it very hard to eat healthy stuff all the time)
Lucky because im still alive :slight_smile:

WHO: I was alone, at my parents’ doctor’s office with only the doctor.
WHAT: Sophmore year of college, I started peeing alot and was constantly thirsty.
WHEN: March 1982
WHERE: First time was years before – my parents had a friend who had it.
WHY: Never thought of being lucky by having it. I’m just me, and usually happy with that.

WHO: my wife took/drug me to a local clinic in Houston, TX.
WHAT: I was trying to write a technical report for an archeology survey I’d just finished, and I couldn’t form a sentence in my head and type it up on the computer. Then I started balling… (p.s. - I’d been ignoring all the classic symptoms for a month or two prior to my diagnosis day.)
WHEN: July 1997.
WHERE: with my wife and doctor/new best friend at Family Medical Associates Clinic (or something named sort of like that), Houston, TX.
WHY AM I LUCKY: Without modern medicine, I should have died 12 years ago. I would’ve widowed my newlywed bride. I would never have met my three kids. I wouldn’t have had a chance to experience every good and bad thing that has happened in the last 12 years. I’m living on borrowed time, and EVERY day above ground is a good day.

love this discussion! :slight_smile:

who: mom and dad and all the doctors/nurses
what: at dance class, had to run out of class to go to the bathroom, probably one of my most embarrassing moments [[tmi? haha]]
when: 2/11/09
where: in the hospital, barely conscious
why: because i know i am strong enough to handle everything that comes with D, and lucky when i DKA’d i didn’t go into a coma

WHO: I really wasn’t with anyone. I was waiting to get picked up after school in 7th grade.
WHAT: Never crossed my mind. I was in a growth spurt and I just thought I was “stretching” my weight out. I didn’t realize that I had lost 30 lbs in less than a month.
WHEN: I don’t remember the date, but I was in 7th grade. It was spring and I was supposed to go on a 15 mile pack hike with my boy scout troop that weekend.
WHERE: I was in my Dad’s car. He had just received the call from the Doctor.
WHY: I had a good support system in place. I personally knew the doctor (played basketball with him). I just wish that I had listened better and actually took most of his advice. Instead I was young, dumb, and invincible and didn’t really pay attention to what I needed to be doing. It was only 4 years ago that I went to the doctor and eventually an endo to really dial things in and get the pump. I’m lucky because I’ve had D for 19 years, didn’t take care of it for 15 of those years, and I don’t have any complications yet.

Who: my mom and dad
What: i was sick for over two weeks. it finally came down to not being able to eat and my dad said it was time to take me to the hospital. (i was 9) his sister (my aunt) and him are 10 years apart and watched her go through the same thing when she was diagnosed as a child.
When: Sept 9, 1991 i think that’s the right year
Where: i was in the hospital
Why: its taught me responsibility and a appreciate things a lot more

Who: I was with my family, a nurse and some friends when I was told I had it.
What: I was constantly going out to get more drinks and entire half gallons of juice lasted no longer than a day. I also had no appetite and my weight dropped to 105 pounds.
When: March 2009. I’m still getting the hang of things, but reading on here has already helped me get better at controlling it.
Where: The emergency room. My sugar was over 500.
Why: I have several people who are supportive and care about my condition.

Who were you with when you were first diagnosed?
My family … it was christmas eve so my parents & sister were there along with my grandparents, aunts, uncles & cousins

What were you doing when you had that thought “something is wrong”?
Constantly drinking and peeing :0

When were you diagnosed?

Where were you when you first heard the D word?
At home since my parents had tested my urine already & it was high

Why do you feel your one of the lucky ones with diabetes?
My father had it so I most likely got it from genetics

Who/where:I was with my wife sitting in our family physicians waiting room. She had a look of concern when the doctor delivered the “news”. My response: “So what do I do about it?”.
What: I was attempting to brush my teeth but found that I hadn’t the energy to lift the tooth brush. I felt soo tired. Just wanted to close my eyes and rest. I figured after a few weeks of intense thirst and non-stop peeing maybe something was wrong.
When: July 15, 2006 around 10 AM EST.
Why: I’m lucky to have one of the best doctors in NJ. I am also fortunate to have supportive wife who now know more about diabetes than most people with diabetes know.

Who were you with when you were first diagnosed?
My mom and dad
What were you doing when you had that thought “something is wrong”?
Sitting at the doctors office but I didn’t have a cold
When were you diagnosed?
Nov 20, 1988. I was 4
Where were you when you first heard the D word?
The doctor’s office, I think…
Why do you feel your one of the lucky ones with diabetes?
Because otherwise, since I REALLY love food, especially sweets, I’d be REALLY big. I think having diabetes made me more aware of how to take care of myself at an early age. It also helps me with my being a Christian. Everyday I have to lean on God and ask for His help to make it to the next day even more so than I would if I were not diabetic.

I was with my family at church… so… in reality, i was with 300 of my closest friends. But, I was mainly with my family and a guy from my church who is a type 1.
I never thought something was wrong… until this guy checked my BG… and he’s like… "Woah. That’s high."
I was diagnosed on August 17th, 2008… at like… 10:03 am (church had just started… and everyone was singing).
My mom first said the “D” word. It was 4 days before I was diagnosed. She was a nurse… so she was getting really suspicious about my drinking like crazy. She was like… “Emily… I bet you’re diabetic.”… whatever, mom. lol. she was right.
I’m one of the lucky ones with diabetes… because God knew I could handle it… and that he could use it for good in my life and the lives of those around me.

Who were you with when you were first diagnosed? I was with my endocrinologist.
What were you doing when you had that thought “something is wrong”? When I had a big lunch with lots of white rice and then fell asleep at my desk afterward.
When were you diagnosed? April 1, 2009
Where were you when you first heard the D word? (for me? in the doctor’s office.) In life? when I heard about my mother’s friend who was blind and on dialysis because she had D. (I was little)
Why do you feel your one of the lucky ones with diabetes? Because I don’t have HUGE amount of weight to lose. Because I’m connected with community. Because I’m ready to do what it takes.