Who? what? when? where? why?

Who: The doctor and a nurse
What: I’ve never had any symptoms that don’t require blood tests
When: 3/14/07
Where: Sitting at my computer looking at google results for “high glucose” after my doctors office called and asked me to come in for a second test because routine blood work came back with high glucose.
Why: Because I found out about it long before I probably would have and have been able to do something about it. It’s also interesting to learn about and experiment.

WHO: I was with my mom in the kitchen when the doctor called the house at 9 at night because my labs were so out of whack
WHAT: I was in fifth grade, wondering why I no longer wanted to play outside and why I was thirsty ALL the time
WHEN: 10/31/1996
WHERE: the doctor’s office…he was suspicious before doing bloodwork, but I hoped it wasn’t true
WHY: I am lucky to have Diabetes because it keeps me humble, it motivates me to stay healthy, I have met some wonderful people through this experience, and I have been able to educate others about the disease and how it can be managed.

WHO- My boyfriend
WHAT- When the dr gave me a script for more antibiotics. I knew it wasnt it but she was evidentally too lazy to do any testing. I just ripped up the scripts
WHEN- the end of January 2009
WHERE- Emergency room
WHY- Because they told me I was on the verge of going into a coma. Luckily I didn’t and got in there in time. Also I’m lucky because there were no other complications other than my eye sight got worst.

Who was I with? Probably my mom.
What was I doing when symptoms arrived, Running Track in High School. Started losing tons.
When was I diagnosed? June of 1957, right after I graduated from High School.
I was at my grandmother Gordon’s house. She took a shot every morning (& weighed 83)
Why do I feel lucky? The scientific wonder of pumps and blood sugar monitors that talk to each other make this the best time so far to have D.

(Philippians 4:13 is one of my favorite verses. I memorized all 104 verses in Philippians at one time. It’s a great book!

Who: My mom took me to the doctor to find out why i felt like crap, and then we met up with my dad on the way down to the emergency room at Childrens
What: I was sitting in my art class and attempting to get my project done, and i had to keep asking to use the bathroom, and the teacher was getting angry at me. i was actually begging people to lend me money so i could get something to drink from the vending machines.
When: February 21st, 2008.
Where: Sitting on the couch after getting blood tests at the doctor. The lab called my mom and said that i most likely had diabetes and that i needed to get down to Childrens ASAP. My mothers good friend had two kids around my age that had been diagnosed within a year of each other, so i was pretty well informed. which kinda made it even more terrifying.
Why: I have an amazing support group of family and my two best friends that are always helping me count carbs and reminding me to check my bs and make sure i have some extra sugar with me. I love them!

Who: I was just by myself, with the doctor in the office clinic?

What: Reading my lab results.

When: June 14, 2008

Where: Can’t really recall.

Why: I am not afraid to live with this disease.

Who: At first I was alone, I saw my doctor alone and he sent me to the hospital. My mom visited me later.
What: I was taking a shower and I got dizzy and nearly blacked out. It must have been from low blood sugar. I never thought it would have been diabetes. I drank some orange juice and I went about my day
When: June 19, 2006
Where: With my doctor. He took one look at me and said I probably have diabetes, and had me take a quick urine test.
Why: I had gone from 165 pounds to nearly 140 pounds and my body felt nearly wasted away. I never gained all my weight back, but I have been stable since diagnosed. I took my illness as a challenge, knowing that I could get through it if I put my mind to it.

Who were you with when you were first diagnosed? Took myself to the clinic on base. Parents were contacted re glucose reading, and met me at the hospital where I spent about two weeks. The Army was very thorough. :slight_smile:
What were you doing when you had that thought “something is wrong”? I was sick for a couple months before nailing it. Read the symptoms in Readers Digest, had them all, and made the appt for testing.
When were you diagnosed? 1983
Where were you when you first heard the D word? A neighbor in the 70’s had it. She didn’t look good most of the time.
Why do you feel you’re one of the lucky ones with diabetes? I don’t know that I feel lucky to have it, but I am very thankful for the advances in medicine that afford me the opportunity to complain about things instead of being six feet under. :slight_smile:

Who were you with when you were first diagnosed? Cook Children Hospital Fort Worth,TX
What were you doing when you had that thought “something is wrong”? I was already in the hospital for pancreatits (had been in the hospital for 3 months!)
When were you diagnosed? April 21,1998 at 2:13pm
Where were you when you first heard the D word? I was in a drug induced coma when they told my parents. I heard about it about a week later still in the ICU at Cook Children’s Hospital
Why do you feel your one of the lucky ones with diabetes? I am not sure… I never really though about it

Who: My mom
What: I was watching the Karate Kid actually, and I noticed that I was still thirsty after drinking a lot already.
When: September 22, 2005
Where: I was probably really young since diabetes runs in my family, even if it’s not the type that I have.
Why: It’s pretty easy for me to control (knock on wood), and it doesn’t interfere with my life in a major way.

Hi:
I agree whole heartedly. I am so glad for the technology we have these days with the pump and CGM - I have been on the MM pump and CGM for a year now and cannot live without it. I am now 58 years old and am blessed to have lived this long. My GP also told me that I would not live past 40…well…“sock” it to him !!! Yes, I have not been good with the diabetes control…going through all the emotions…hatred, ignorance, everything. I am glad that finally, maybe, I have come to accept D. So with 55 years under my belt, and two healthy children, I plough on…with all the “wonderful” suprises the big D has for me !!!

WHO: My parents in the Dr. office.
WHAT: Going to the bathroom a crazy amount with unstoppable thirst as well. Probably 3 trips in a half hour TV program.
WHEN: September 12, 1992, I was 11 going on 12 years old
WHERE: In the Rainbows Children’s Hospital in Cleveland, OH
WHY: I know my body better than probably most people I come into contact with. That means I know when things are “off” and can get things checked out and not let them fester. As well as the fact that I live in a day of modern medicine, great control and hopefully a cure!

who - I was with my parents

what - I was at Disney world for the first time in my life, oh i was so sick

when - June 1974, I was released from the hospital on my 17th birthday

where - I heard the big D word when I was 5 and my mom was diagnosed, I grew up with the disease

why - I suppose I am lucky because diabetes is my life. It has been since before I was born. I can no more not be diabetic than I am male. Everyting good and bad, stems form who and what I am.

Who: No One
What: Army school - Ft Gordon
When: April 2006
Where: Eisenhower Army Med Ctr
Why: Serums - shots before and after deployment

Who: my parents
What: At the time I dont know cause I was 6 but now, I was sleeping alot
When: Oct 10 1991
Where: In the hospital
Why: Because I have control of myself

My Mom and Dad were with me when I was diagnosed. I was 5 so I did’nt think anything was wrong but my parents did because I was losing alot of weight and peeing alot and wetting the bad every night. I was diagnosed in 1975. I first heard the D word when they put me in the hospital. I’m very much one of the lucky ones because no organs have failed me.

My one year since diagnoses was yesterday, so this is very fresh in my mind

Who were you with when you were first diagnosed?I was with my mom, my sister met us about halfway through the appointment as she worked in the building(different department) and was coming over to say hi. She had no idea something was wrong until she walked in.
What were you doing when you had that thought “something is wrong”?I was getting ready to go get some new workout clothes, and I noticed in the mirror how sunken in my face looked, and my protruding backbones. This coupled with my incredible thirst(with a 100% dry mouth…I often had to stop talking after a few words to try and moisten it), complete fog brain, no energy, and constant bathroom trips worried me.
When were you diagnosed?April 21 2008
Where were you when you first heard the D word? Sitting in my doctors office
Why do you feel your one of the lucky ones with diabetes?As other posters said, I am so thankful it is me dealing with this…and not my siblings or loved ones. I don’t think I could have handled seeing someone else going through this. I feel lucky because this disease is treatable. When I got my first insulin shot, I felt alive again.

Who were you with when you were first diagnosed? My Husband. I knew that it was coming as I had PCOS since I was a teenager, and I knew what my fasting blood sugar was.
What were you doing when you had that thought “something is wrong”? It was more of a "it is very likely to happen"
When were you diagnosed? December 22, 2006
Where were you when you first heard the D word? Dr Brown’s office at MCV in VA
Why do you feel your one of the lucky ones with diabetes? I was regularly seeing a doctor so I was willing to go to the doctor for smaller things, which eventually lead to the discovery of my kidney cancer. If I hadn’t had that CT scan and had my kidney removed in a few years I would’ve died from the cancer.

Who: my doctor
What: i was getting up a lot at night to pee and could never quench my thirst
When: 8/2008
Where: i was at home and the doctor’s office called telling me they wanted to “discuss” my blood work results
Why: i feel that i am lucky because at least i have some measure of control. also, i feel lucky and am educating two of my siblings who’ve recently been diagnosed pre-diabetic. i’ve pushed them to start testing their BS, have them checking out this site as well as Jenny’s site and to change eating habits.

WHO:- My husband Kim was with me
WHAT:- Went in docs for hubby was yellow. thought it was a kidney infection, doc said get bloods done and as we were going on holidays get yours done too
WHEN:- Went into docs six weeks later after holidays, diagnsed 15 Sept
2005, type 2
WHERE:- In docs office, Kim your fine, just a little infection, Alice you are quite different, I’m affraid Type 2 diabetes for you.'
WHY:- Don’t know if luck has anything to do with it, Granddad, mums dad amd mum both died from Diabetes with pancreatic cancer, mum didn’t tell anybody until 3 weeks before she, died 8 days after I was diagnosed.
I suppose in one way I am lucky with no medication or insulin as yet.