Who? what? when? where? why?

WHO: my mom and dad
WHAT: my mom says I asked for water… CONSTANTLY
WHEN: May 21, 1972 (almost 37 years)
WHERE: Dr. Flynn’s office. My mom had called him and said “Erin is diabetic”. He didn’t believe her, so we went for testing and sure enough…! I don’t remember ANY of it. I’ve just always been Diabetic. I was 2 1/2 yo.
WHY: I don’t let it define me. It is a part of me that I control and manage.

Who: With my doctor in his office.
What: Driving to the airport for a vacation a week before a doctor’s appt – I got an urgent call from his office, saying the labs I’d had done looked out of whack, and could I come back in to have more blood drawn – like right this minute? (I thought the blood work had been for anemia.)
When: Two years ago today – April 23, 2007.
Where: In my doctor’s office. He said, “How do you feel?” I said, “Fine.” And he said, "Well, you’re not fine, you’re diabetic!"
Why: Just glad I found out sooner rather than later, and have been able to keep in pretty good control so far – though I’m finding out people are right when they say it’s a marathon, not a sprint. It keeps me humble every day and reminds me to be kind, because everyone has something they’re struggling with – for me it’s diabetes, for others it could be something just as invisible.

WH0: By myself at the GYN doctor
WHAT: I had a bad yeast infection went to the gyn for a normal visit.
WHEN: Back in 1988
WHERE: At the GYN they did a urine and the nurse kept walking by saying 400 something and i said oh that is because I had a peanut butter and jelly sandwhich for dinner. They said you would have eventually passed out and go see your PCP doctor tomorrow.
WHY: Not sure only my uncle had it in our family now my mom has TYPE 2 I have gone from great control to scared and in denial and now I am ready to take control again and not worry about what I did not do in the past and concentrate on today…

Who: My mom took me to the ER, but I think that I was alone when they told me that I have diabetes. I had no idea what diabetes was. So I don’t remember really reacting when they told me. I was also blacking out and couldn’t really see.

What: I had all the classic symptoms for months, but put off going to the doctor. I think when I had lost so much weight that my pants would not stay up. And when I ate a whole (full size) quiche in one sitting and still felt hungry. The weekend before I was diagnosed, I was on a camping trip with friends. We went on a hike and I physically could not keep up. I felt horrible and knew something was really wrong. But what finally got me to go to the ER was waking up during the night vomiting and when I got to the ER, I was blacking out.

When: I was diagnosed in 2003 at the age of 21.

Where: The first time I remember hearing about diabetes is when I was diagnosed. I didn’t know what it was and did not know that it was chronic. What I do remember was when they called my mom into the ER and on the other side of the thin curtain, they told her that her daughter had diabetes. Her reactions was “No! Test again!” That clued me in that maybe diabetes was more serious than I thought.

Why: In the first days, I just felt SO good to finally have insulin in my system and to know that I wasn’t dying. The relief exceeded any worries. Since then, there have been hard days and good days. On the hard days, it’s hard to feel “lucky”. On the good days, I feel good about overcoming the challenges that diabetes presents.

Who: My dad was completing his residency at the hospital and I got to walk to work with him one morning to spend a day with him. Turns out he was taking me straight to the lab for some blood work, but he had me fooled. It started as a great day.

What: I was 5 years old. Nothing seems wrong to a 5-yo, although now I realize I had the classic symptoms.

When: October 1975.

Where: I was in the hospital for a week or so. I heard the word, but somehow figured when I was able to go home it would all be better. Ok wait - there’s my answer to “what I was doing when I thought something was wrong.” I was playing with a Tonka truck before dinner and I saw my mom with the insulin syringe. I protested but was told I would do this every day for the rest of my life. Ok, but can I keep playing with my truck, mom? On day 2 when she had another shot for me I believed her. Yup, something’s wrong here.

Why: (I interpret “lucky ones” in an ironic way) Just bad luck, some genetic anomaly, there may someday be a very clear explanation but never a reason.

Who: I was at work. My doctor’s nurse called to tell me that “you definitely have diabetes and we’ve called a prescription into your pharmacy.” That was my entire diabetes education from that doctor - kind of boggled my brain.

What: I’d broken two fingers and decided to fast before the appointment. I asked for the blood work because my eyesight was getting really bad and I was always tired. I thought I was anemic again.

When: February 10th 2009 at 2:00 pm. I was in shock and walked out to my car to phone a good friend. Then I called the nurse back and asked for a glucose meter.

Why: I feel lucky because I was diagnosed before I developed horrible complications. I feel unlucky because I wish I was normal.

who:with my mom and dad
what:i was on taekoando courses,they were hell to me.on school,i used to go to the bathroom 3 tims (thats on school only),sleeped in classes,and so on…but mainly on nov on D day that i red on the newspaper about the symptoms that i knew them already before but forgot!!
then started to realize how much we(me and my D friend)have things in common
when:18 Jan,2009
where;i heard them on three terms,first when i red the newspaper,second when my friend maid a blood test to me and a 550 shows on screen,third(the officialy D word came on!)in the endo’s office’s waiting area(obviosly they didnt bring me to an endo if i hadnt D)!
why:i have a great family who have been really supporting,brothers who came to my room to check on me 6 times a day!
one of them would take my meter 8 timed aday to chek my BG,one of them took me to another hospital next day,the third found a room only for me on the best hospital with the best endo,sisters and parents were just as greart, ahospital that gives pumps and test streps and insulin and meters and pens for free,and an insurance that has the same qualities and more…and so on…

Who: My Mom

What: Well My Mom Was The One Who Thought Something Was Wrong Because I Would Drink Too Many Fluids and Urinate Too Much & Also I Lost Weight Like Crazy

When: October 10, 1989 (Almost 10 Months Old)

Where: I was 4 yrs old & i was overhearing my mom conversation with my aunt.

Why: Not Really, Almost All My Family Has T2. I Guess I Am The Lucky One With T1.

WHO?
me- My granny…
son- me, his dad, and his big brother

WHAT?
me- on spring break when I was 10 and I was so tired and downing gallons of water and have to pull over to pee life every 10 min…but I was 10 so I didnt really know what was going on just that I didnt feel right…
son- Valentines day when he was 16 months old I noticed he was filling up a lot of diapers and really fast we always mointored his sugars and checked and it was 330…

WHEN?
me- spring break…March of 1993
son- valentines day…february 14, 2005

WHERE?
me-granny was really worried something was wrong with me and took her doctor, they did a finger stick it was High then they took my blood and told us they would call is…we got called back to the doctor immediatly and my sugar was over 800. I thought I was going to die.
son- took him to the emergency room after I checked his sugar walked in told them he was a diabetic they asked me when he was diagnosed and I said he hasnt been diagnosed yet…I got some strange looks.

WHY?
me- I feel lucky for a lot of reasons…1 is that I have 2 younger brothers and if it were them who were diagnosed they would have never been able to handle it they always hated needles and doctors and I was fine with them I am and was the stronger of the 3 so I think its a blessing that i got it…2 reason is because it totaly prepared me for have my 16 month old child diagnosed…I was strong and ready for it…not scared or sad and I think that me having it and being so comfortable with it and accepting of it will make my son even stronger and better at it than me…he will never feel different or alone and Im greatful for this.
son-??we will find out??

Who were you with when you were first diagnosed?
Gestational 19 years ago, then 2 months after I had my son.
What were you doing when you had that thought “something is wrong”?
While taking care of my newborn I felt I was spending more time in the bathroom than with him and by then had a good basic knowledge about Diabetes and it’s symptoms, etc.
When were you diagnosed?
Oct 1990
Where were you when you first heard the D word?
As it relates to me - in the doctors office. In general - family history of diabetes - so no surprise if I was to get it.
Why do you feel your one of the lucky ones with diabetes?
I control it, it doesn’t control me…Most days LOL. I don’t take things for granted and I have an appreciation for anyone faced with the challenges of a chronic disease. I feel blessed to live in a time where research has so evolved that diabetes can be managed.

Everyone has something that challenges them… mine just happens to be diabetes.

Who? I was young and with my mom and dad.
What? Normal little boy things, but ■■■■■■■ and drinking like nobody’s business. Oh, and losing 20+% of my body weight!
When? I think it was 1991, I was still 7.
Where? In the doctor’s office at my diagnosis.
Why? I was a child, I didn’t understand everything that the doctor was saying, but I got that the gist was I would have to change what and how I eat. As if my life depended on it, I asked if I could still eat pizza, my favourite food at the time. When the doctor said yes, I felt lucky.

WHO: I was with my soon-to-be ex-husband. In the ER he told me the diagnosis was “no big deal”, despite me having a six-month old baby and my own business. I knew he was soon to be history.
WHAT: I had all the classic type 1 symptoms but since I was nursing my baby and up at all hours, I justified my symptoms. I thought breastfeeding was the greatest weight-loss discovery ever and planned to nurse him until he went to college.
WHEN: May 5, 1997, 17 years ago today.
WHERE: I had gestational diabetes so I’d received a voice mail with my glucose tolerance results. “Come in first thing Monday morning; you need insulin right away.” Longest weekend of my life.
WHY: I feel extremely lucky and empowered because my doctors and dentist all tell me, “if I didn’t look at your chart, I’d never guess you were diabetic.” Plus, after losing my mom to cancer last year, I’m so grateful to have a disease that’s manageable!

WHO: i was with my mawmaw, my mom, my memaw, and my two doctors.
WHAT: well my memaw had mentioned it only cause she is diabetic. but i first realized something was wrong when i was in food giant and i had drank a whole 24oz. mountain dew and pepsi and i had went to the bathroom about 5 times. i kept asking my mawmaw to take me home.
WHEN: june 17, 2005
WHERE: actually i was like 7 when i first heard it because of my pawpaw having it i never could watch him give himself shots. but the first time i heard it being pointed towards me was a week before i was diagnosed,i was on the way to the dentist with my grandmother.
WHY: because not many of the people i know and love can say a disease came in and changed their life, not many people can say their healthy and follow a strict diet, not many people can say they take shots day after day and act like its just a routine part of their day, not many people can say they know what courage is and know what the word strength really means. and not many people can say they have been through this and they cant see life in the perspective i do.

Who were you with when you were first diagnosed?
My mom took me to the doctor and, later, my dad joined us at Emergency.

I knew that I was INSANELY thirsty all the time but I didn’t really think anything was wrong because I was only 9. My mom was the one who put together the thirst, weight loss, and me complaining of not feeling well and, realizing “something” was wrong but not knowing what, made a doctor’s appointment.

When were you diagnosed?
October 8, 1991.

In the doctor’s office with my mom.

I live in a country where healthcare is provided to everyone and where I have access to the medications and technology I need to maintain good control.

My husband and the ER staff
I was at work and thinking to myself, “No one is THIS thirsty”.
May 27, 2010
In the ICU
It has made me look at all aspects of my health and actually take better care of myself.

Who were you with when you were first diagnosed? My husband and son

I was on my 2nd day of vacation in the Dominican Republic and became very sick.
My resort arranged for me to see a dr. I was pretty delirious and out of it, and heard , "wow she’s really dehydrated, then I heard him say, “why, she’s diabetic”. and “We need an ambulance.” I had appendicitis. They took me by ambulance to the hospital and I had an emgergency appendectomy. Not another word was said about diabetes. I was really out of it, there was a huge language barrier, and I don’t remember if I ever asked anyone at the hospital about it. I was in the hospital a week.

When were you diagnosed?

June '09 When I got home from the Dominican Republic, the first thing I did was go to the Dr…where he then ran blood work.

I dont remember. Every adult on my fathers side of the family is type 2, my younger sister was type 1 and died this past November at the age of 45. She’d lost 3 toes and got MRSA in the hospital at one time, I think it ended up systemic.

Because I managed to avoid it until I was 50, and seem to finally be getting my numbers down. I have more work to do. I need to exercise more. I managed to avoid gestational diabetes, although I had a 10 pound baby. Both my sisters had gestational diabetes. The younger later had pancreatitis and almost diedand and was type 1 after that.

It was a gradual process. I was in treatment for breast cancer, and about to go in for yet another surgery. My husband (who was always on top of everything) noticed in my labs that my bg was almost 400. He walked across the hospital to my oncologist’s office, and was told it was because of the massive doses of steroid I’d had for radiation pneumonia. Not diabetes, it would go away. They had me take insulin and call if my bg went over 400. I woke up a lot of oncologists :wink: I wasn’t able to distinguish the ‘wrongness’ from treatment and multiple surgeries from any other symptoms.

That was 2006. It didn’t ‘go away’, my beta cells were permanently destroyed by chemo followed by steroids. So, I didn’t really have a moment of diagnosis, or hearing the D word, just a gradual realization that this wasn’t ‘going to go away’…

I’m really lucky to have a fabulous medical team who actually listen. Very luck to have started on my Ping 2 wks ago, it’s been life changing.

I was with my parents.

I didn’t think ‘something is wrong’…I was six. I probably just thought I was sick.

I was diagnosed in late July of 1992.

I was in the hospital when I first heard the D word. I had an aunt with Type 1, but as a small child I didn’t know about it, and if I did I wouldn’t have understood it anyway since I only saw her about 2-3x a year. So I didn’t hear it until my own diagnosis.

I don’t feel like I’m a lucky one with diabetes. I don’t think anyone with diabetes is ‘lucky’…

Who: I was with my Mum.
What: She recognised the symptoms and bought a test from boots. It was around xmas time and I had lost so much weight, I looked terrible. She done it at home and it came out positive. I laid on my bed for ages crying and all because I just thought I couldn’t eat chocolate or sweets anymore - if only it was just that - I was only 10. She took me straight to the doctors.
When: Jan 2004
Where: Found out at home but diagnosed by the doctor and referred to the hospital.
Why: Hmm … I still need to understand and figure out why I should think myself lucky to have this!

1. the who was my mom & dad. My mom & Grandfather was the ones who took me to the country dr that then sent me to the “big town” dr
  2. I thought I had the flu in the summer of my 10th year
    3 I was diagnosed in 1073
  3. I had grew up with diabetes b/c my 1st cousin had it so I guess all my life but the 1st time I heard it assocated with me was in the small town drs office that day.
    %. At fisrt I didn’t but now as my mom told me years ago, “just look around and you will always find someone else worse off than you” I started doing just that and I’ve found someone who even though her daughter is 32 I think she’s NEVER heard the word mama b/c her child can’t talk. Not deaf but has something like CP and else. Yes I do look at myself as lucky compared to many ppl in this world who can’t even do the things we take for granted each day.