Who's still taking shots? Should I start pumping?

One month after I started the pump my A1c was down to 5.4 from 7 three months before. I love the control the pump gives me. I mean you can give yourself such small dosages that if it goes over 120 and you want it lower you can do like a tenth of a unit. I use the Minimed 722. It is named Ophelia., but as I said in my first post it is a personal preference on if you want one. And you do need to be mentally prepared or I think you will regret being attached to it and just want to scream. Sometimes it takes a lot of time to iron out the kinks. I would advice you read Pumping Insulin. It did a great job of preparing me and enabled me to figure out insulin sensitivity, carb ratio, how much basal I need etc.

I’m on the shots but had better luck on the insulin pump. I am hoping that when I get insurance on June 16 I will be able to talk to my endocrinologist about going back on the insulin pump. I hope that they will cover it because I found out some interesting information about health coverage in Utah. But as of right now 4 - 5 shots per day. The reason its 4 - 5 is because I don’t always need a little extra humalog to get me through the night.

Cherise

I’ve been on shots since I was diagnosed in January and I’m doing extremely well with them, but I can’t wait to get a pump. I’m looking at the Omnipod to skip the whole “wirde up” deal, but I would really take anything. I’ve always been a big snacker and it’s been a struggle for me to try and cut that out so that’s one thing them pump will help with. I usually snack very healthy (fruits, veggies, cereals, etc.) but obviously that doesn’t make a bit of difference.

I have a friend my age who’s been diabetic for 3 years and her mom happens to be a Minimed rep. She refused to go on the pump for the longest time for all the usual reasons, but now she loves it and would never go back. She said her A1c and control in general improved immensely with the pump because it’s so much easier to keep from spiking or dropping rapidly with the smaller units.

If shots don’t bother you and you have good control wit them, I don’t see any problems at all, but if you’re looking for better control, from everything I’ve read, heard, and discussed with others, the pump can do the trick.

Dino

I am using the omipod system and I love it! If I didn’t have the Pod I might still be taking shots. I like the freedom and control of the pod…Hey what’s the Ipump?

The Ipump doesn;t exist but in another post they were discussing someone creating like the apple iphone with an insulin pump attacked as well. MP3 player, cell phone, pump all in one would be cool.

Didn’t get to the letter S yet ehhhh ?.

NO PUMP HERE, and absolutely no plan to change that…I will stick with shots.
Have not found anything remotely compelling about a pump (yet at least) that makes me want to change back to one.

Stuart

I want a pump. I have been fighting my insurance company for over a year now to put me on a pump. I am going to keep fighting till my insurance company gives in. I want the freedom that I will get from a pump.

If you need someone to hold down your insurance company while you pummel it into submission just let me know. I also fight the good fight vs. big insurance.

I may take you up on your offer. I wam working with a self insured company and it seems that it is harder to get them to say yes.

IPump.org is a good resource to help you get a pump especially when the insurance wants to be a pain about it.

Cody is absolutely right; the pump is entirely a personal preference, and it does not guarantee better glycemic control or reduced hypoglycemia – it does, however, enable some people to better manage things by enabling greater dosage precision and a variable basal delivery throughout the course of the day. I am a former pumper, and I can honestly say that I found it did not improve my control, but it became kind of a hassle and I really hated being tethered to a battery-operated device all the time.

Dino,

I’m still new to the whole insulin thing but I find the pens very convenient and my control with the MDI very good. My endo asked if I would be interested in the pump at my first visit, but I told him I just wasn’t ready. I feel it’s a very personal decision which takes much thought and research…(for me anyway). I have weighed the pros and cons and just don’t see the need for a pump at this point and don’t foresee switching in the future. I’m sure they are great but I personally don’t want to have something attached to me 24/7… At least between injections I feel I can keep my mind on something other than this disease. With the injections, I feel like I am in control…I don’t have to worry about whether my device is working properly etc…not to mention the expense; I’m very cheap so for me that alone is a huge turn off! In going through profiles, I find there are lots of pump users that have A1c’s above 7, so if control is an issue I personally don’t think the pump is any better.

I think you should do what’s right for you!

Hey thanks all for the feedback. I was really out of control when I first posted this…but I’ve gotten a lot better for the past 30 days with MDIs. I just assumed the pump was all about progression when it’s really just another option. I actually met a coworker that was wearing a pump and he showed me a lot of what it does. It really is amazing, but for right now, I’m gonna opt for the shots. If my A1C is clean by the end of summer, then I’m gonna hold off on the pump indefinitely (like I said, until Steve Jobs gets with the program lol).

What can I say?..some folks drive automatic, some drive stick.

I TO AM STILL TAKING SHOTS , BUT I HAVE LOOK AT PUMPS , I WANT ONE ALOT OF PEOPLE I KNOW SAY ITS A GOOD THING TO HAVE, ITS JUST THAT THEY COST A LOT

I am new to this site but I have had type 1 diabetes for 18 yrs and when I was diagnosed back in 91 all I can recall was taking the shot. I am really getting interested in the pump but I haven’t met anyone who has one to tell me what its like. I take 2 sometimes 3 shots a day and it would be kind of nice to not have to give yourself shots. So please if anyone would like to tell me what the pump is like please feel free to let me know.

Dino,
I am a 37 year vet and did not start pumping til Feb of last year. I will never go back if at all possable. I went from 250 lbs to 165. A1Cs from mid to upper 7s to mid 6s in the first Qt and have been there since. I now have the endo telling me for the first time in years that all my blood work is coming back normal.

I have found that the trick is to write down every thing I eat. I know that is a pain in the butt. well look what it did for me.

I am currently on the MiniMed 722.

If you have any questions feel free to ask I love sharing.

Andy

just looked at the date on this one, Have you made a desision about the pump?

Dino,
I was very hesitant to get on the pump. I put it off for years. My control is so much better now that I’m on it. I have the “run of the mill” Medtronic MiniMed 722. I’m not so sure if it’s the latest & greatest in pump technology, but it works great for me. I don’t have any more “Morning Highs” because of the slow steady stream of insulin I get. It’s pretty easy to get used to.

The long acting insulins were getting a little too unpredicable for me. I had several instances of paramedics coming to work & home because of my wild sugar swings. If I miss a meal now, it’s no big deal. It’s wonderful! I’ll never go back to shots.

It’s helped me lose weight too. I lost 25 pounds after switching.

Kevin

hey dino,
Have you made up your mind yet? Not that I’m rushing you into a decision if you haven’t.
If you have or when you have can you tell me what was your main reason for swichting or
staying on injections? I’d appreciate it, cause I’m considering the pump myself. I actually
have my mind set on it already pretty much, but I’m still pondering about the pros out
weighing the cons.

Thanks and hope you make the decision on your own terms!
Happy sugars!

Hi!!! Yes, I’m in your camp. I have been taking shots for 36 years and I can’t ever see myself on the pump. I wore a Continuous Glucose Monitor (only) for 4 days as per my doctor’s wishes and I HATED IT. I couldn’t wait to rip the thing out of me. It was uncomfortable, awkward, itchy and obtrusive. I’m waiting for a cure, rather than a pump. I take 4 shots a day (1 longacting Lantus, 3 humalog before each meal) I’m very active, avid cyclist and gym goer. Also; being 47 and single, I admit I’m quite vain and don’t want to explain being a cyborg to dates. I’ve been doing okay on my shots - had a bit of a downslide this past year as I was doing a clinical research trial for inhaled insulin - which failed miserably and sent my A1C’s thru the roof. They are gradually coming back down though. I find if I don’t cheat on my diet and stick to my plan, I’m fine.
Hang in there!