Why are CGMs still so underused?

At least try the Libre. It’s low cost and low hassle to get started compared to the Dexcom and if you don’t like it you haven’t paid for an expensive transmitter that will go to waste. I actually like it better than Dexcom in some ways and find it accurate enough that I rarely, if ever, use a glucometer.

2 Likes

It’s interesting, because the USA seems to be charging ahead and approving new technologies AND dropping old technologies much faster than other countries these days. Which isn’t a bad thing, except for the people who actually want to stick with the older technology. The G4 is still commonly used in Canada (I’m using it) and I’d be shocked if it got dropped anytime soon. In the USA, it seems the G4 and even the G5 has been dropped by many companies and is harder or impossible to obtain anymore.

Jen, I think you’re right about the overall movement in the US to the Dexcom G6 CGM and away from the G4 and G5. I don’t think reduced availability of the G4 and G5 is the reason.

I say this because I am using the G4 due to its better economy without much or any sacrifice in accuracy. The G4 radio range is also longer than the G5 or G6; I have fewer data dropouts with the G4 due to this.

My CGM supplier still stocks and delivers the G4 and G5. I plan to use my G4 system into 2020. I’ll then likely switch to the G6.

I continue to use G4, and no indication it would be dropped. I’m more concerned that dexcom would stop mfg, to ramp up more G6 supply, rather than insurance limiting it.

I thought that if my receiver died, that was it. No more.

All of the insurance formularies that I looked at this year don’t even have the G6 as a possibility yet, so for this year at least ya’ll are probably good.

1 Like

Bluecross FEP pays for everything. I love my Libre. Never going back.

Robert17

Well, I have been on a CGM for a little over 4 months. I just was approved for the G5 from Dexcom and the results have been amazing. To start off, my a1c has dropped from 9.8 to about 8.2 in relatively short time. I was able to see first hand how eating, exercising, and other things affected my blood sugar in short time, which means I can fix it much quicker than if I waited for a fingerstick. I don’t like that the CGM doesn’t connect with the insulin pump (I’m on a Minimed 630G), but that’s the least of my problems. I can always manually input the values in my pump from the CGM. The great thing about a CGM is that I don’t have bloody fingers by testing from 4 to 8 times per day (which was what I was doing when I was on MDI (insulin pens). I also appreciate that the CGM gives me a better indication when I’m going into DKA because the rising blood sugars would give me cause to take a ketone test without fail, and catch my sugars before it gets that far. One reason that getting the CGM wasn’t immediate was because of my insurance (and the cost of the system). I did manage to meet with a great endocrinologist and awesome diabetic educator, who got in contact with Dexcom and worked it out so my insurance allowed the process. I do feel bad that there are families who can’t afford getting a CGM, or don’t have adequate medical insurance for the case. I would like to say that I am fortunate that I received all the diabetic supplies and equipment because this disease takes away a lot of your time, health, and drains you of your mental faculties. One of the best benefits that I say a CGM has is there will be less times in DKA because you will be aware before it gets that far. Although equipment failure does contribute to DKA (when you don’t get adequate insulin because the canula is bent or the tubing has a kink in it), you will have much more warning because you’ll see that your sugars are rising and you have time to check why that would be the problem.

1 Like

Sleeping with you phone next to your head is really not good. I am going to look for some links for you.

So where to people put their phones, if not on a nightstand? My phone acts as my alarm clock and is also where my CGM is. I think having it anywhere else would be quite inconvenient, especially since I’m legally blind and have to put it centimetres from my face to even read it.

That’s why I don’t wear one. You can do something called grounding to off set the EMFs. An excellent book called “Earthing” will lay it all out and how the ground. You can at least change a setting on the phone to night shift mode which takes the blue light away after about 7 or 8 o’clock. Mercola has some info that talks about the topic. Pros and cons 10 years ago I would prob use one but not after 21 years of managing the disease.

Are Athletes Dropping Dead From the COVID Jab?

I use the G5 receiver at night while my phone charges in a different room.

But doesn’t the receiver have many of the same RF/wifi issues the phone would have?

I dunno, after reading about the guy linked to above (who is against vaccines and other things I strongly disagree with), I’m not too worried that phones are dangerous.

I don’t have a receiver since here in Canada they are optional and I pay out of pocket, so it would be like buying a second phone in terms of cost?

Yes I understand. I don’t worry about the RF issues too much. I am 61 and have decided to reduce the number of things to fret over. But I already have a receiver and that is the main use I have for it, it’s become part of my routine. The vibrate alerts from the receiver can wake me up but not my wife.

You are correct. I been on Abbott Libre 1.5 years. One regional supplier did fine at first, then kept losing my records. I’m changing suppliers, more hastle and now 1.5 month delay. The regional system distribution is very problematic, needs to be local drug??
But apparently Medicare is not allowing it.

I can understand it in T2s but T1s? I’m getting ready to switch from Medtronic to Dexcom G6 through Medicare. I can’t imagine going without a working CGM for longer than a day. After 52 years, my blood sugar only stays reasonably in control with a real-time reading of where my bloodsugar is heading. And now with the 670g I’m using Auto Mode 95% of the week.
The reason it’s so underused is it’s expensive, not without technical issues like sensors falling out, and understanding the read outs is far more complex than the average person wants to take on.
It also requires the doctors’ staff to be able to download the CGM and the doctor is familiar with CGM technology.
Finally the T1 has to be committed enough to improve control.

1 Like

I’ve been using a CGM since 2008. It’s come a long long way but using a CGM is still a pain where the sun don’t shine.

Ya know what would be a great idea is to tie the insulin pump with a fitness watch and a CGM tied together with A1 that could just do the job of managing our diabetes. Oh and a camera tied to a database of nutrition information so I don’t have to count carbs.

1 Like

You could loop with xdrip and use the android wear bitesnap app to take pictures of your food… just have to eyeball or estimate the serving sizes, as the pictures are not a?ways 100%accurate…it will usually give you s pretty close idea of the carbs, just have to memorize the glycemic indexes

Actually I know very well controlled type 1’s who don’t use CGMs. I have been a type 1 for 61 years. I started using a CGM a year ago on and off. It didn’t change my A1c which is usually around 5.2. Some of us don’t like wearing things on our bodies. I don’t use a pump either for this reason.

I recently took a two month break from my CGM and did just fine. I don’t mind testing my blood. I am actually a bit more relaxed when I am not wearing my CGM. I can sleep in whatever position I want and I am not woken up by alerts.

If I wasn’t able to feel my lows and or if I didn’t wake up naturally when low at night, I would wear my CGM all the time. They are wonderful for people in those situations and they can save lives.

I usually like using one because it challenges me to try to stay between 65 and 140 and alerts me to when I need to make corrections sooner than I might catch with finger sticks.