Why Can't I Lose Weight No Matter What!

Cody, I wish it were that easy. For some of us, that formula just doesn’t work, for whatever reason.

Have you had your thyroid tested? An under-functioning thyroid (hypothyroidism) can cause weight gain or make weight loss difficult. Also hormones affect weight gain. I don’t know much about this, but you should talk to you doctor about getting all the tests necessary to make sure that there are not other health issues that is making weight loss difficult for you.

I know it must be terribly frustrating…

Ellie,

Thanks, that is very kind of you.
I am trying to find out why I am not losing.
Whatever I find out, I will post!

D

Oh yes, I had thyroiditis after my second baby and I have to have my thyroid tested yearly. So far, my TSH has been nice and low and within normal limits.

Yes, it is so frustrating when you do the work and nothing happens.

I have a closet full of small clothes and they look at me everyday.

I know what you are saying. I am not into homeopathic either, but…sometimes, there may be something to some of this.
I will read up on those things! Thanks!

I’ve lost over 60 pounds and hit a plateau for almost a year. Nothing I did , exercise or lower carb worked. I started reading some different books on metablolism and found the role of hormones in metabolism. I started adding more monofaturated fats like avacados, olive oil, pesto, nuts, chocolate into my diet. I’ve been eating a little more saturated fat too. Believe it or not I’ve lost 6 pounds in the last month doing this. There are some good cookbooks out there for celiacs. Going against the grain by Melissa D Smith and Grain free gourmet by jodi bager and jenny lass. I think you just have to look at the recipes and substitute other things for the dairy. Can you eat soy yogurt and tofu?

I do eat avocadoes, olive oil, nuts and also rice bran oil.
The oils are very important for hormone production as you said.

I keep my diet pretty simple, so I don’t use recipes.
I make things like salmon in olive oil and garlic, chicken with herbs, things like that.

Soy yogurt is too sweet for me. I can’t do artificial sweetners, they give me headaches or diarrhea.
I do tofu, but am burned out on it now.

I’m a Type 2. Doctor has added Levimier insulin to my mix of Byetta and Metformin. Since adding the insulin I’ve had wonderful BS for the most part. Not losing any weight yet but not gaining either. I decided on Levimier instead of Lantus because I’ve heard Lantus may cause weight gain whereas Levimier could help you lose weight. Something you may want to discuss with your doctor. I was also told, the closer to normal that your BS is, the easier it will be to lose weight. (this was from my Dr.) Good Luck!

I just went to my doctor today. I suggested Byetta. He said my insurance would not cover Byetta.
I suggested he increase my Metformin then, so he did, to 1500 mg per day.

He knows I am eating very healthy. Dinner tonight was half of a chicken breast (3oz.) and one cup of vegetables. I am still hungry. I know that is because I am insulin resistant.

He wants me to go to diabetic counseling, with the ADA. You know what they are going to tell me, “You can have a donut, you can have icecream in small amounts.” Well, I can’t because I am Celiac and allergic to dairy, so they can’t push those things on me. I don’t know what good they will do me. I can only have meat, eggs, fish, nuts, vegetables. He said he doesn’t know if my insurance will cover this, so he is going to have his staff look into it.
I am already eating healthy. But I am going to cut my calories way down. I read somewhere that they used to starve diabetics to get their bodies to lose weight. I am coming to believe I need to do this. It works when someone has a gastro bypass.
Last time I went to a dietitian long ago, they thought I had all day to cook meals. And they had so much starch in the meals. Breakfast was one egg, toast, and cereal. I cannot have grains. So I could only have the one egg!

Start doing a diary of everything that goes in your mouth. You will lose weight if the amount of calories that goes in your mouth during the day is less than the amount of calories your body used during the day. When people start putting down everything that goes in their pie hole, they are usually amazed about how much food they actually consume during the day.
You will not lose weight if you eat too much. Start counting calories, like you count carbs, and start eating smaller portions. Do not eat out at restaurants or fast food joints, cause they pile on the calories.
Do not think you are eating well because you stopped at Mickey D’s and had a salad. People that exercise often cannot lose weight, even those that work out for an hour or more, because thay have not altered the amount of food that goes in their mouths. Weight loss starts with lessening food intake, pure and simple.
All these statements assumes that you have no glandular or other issues that keep your weight from dropping.
It is a matter of eating fewer calories than you body consumes. You may not like that answer, but try it and see if its not true.

Hi, Twixcookie,

You shouldn’t have to find a soy sauce “replacement”. I, too, am a Celiac and La Choy soy sauce is gluten-free.

I’ve actually been having a bit of the opposite problem than you have. I was GAINING weight uncontrollably prior to my diagnosis. It didn’t seem to matter how severely I restricted my calories, I continued to gain weight. I actually gained nearly 5 pounds in just a little over one week!

Since going gluten-free in May I’ve lost 8.5 lbs. Now, though, I’m finding some “weird-isms” going on with my sugars. Prior to going GF I was having sugars that were in the pre-diabetic realm. I was not placed on any meds and was told to “just keep an eye on them”. I started to see my sugars coming down. For weeks they were in the mid-90’s to 105, much better than the 127’s and 136’s I had been getting, and I was patting myself on the back for “curing” my prediabetes. Then, mysteriously, the sugars started climbing again. I hadn’t changed anything and Doc couldn’t explain it other than to say that I might have had a “honeymoon period” with change to the GF diet and now that my body was adjusting, the sugars were working back to their previous levels.

Suddenly, this past week, I’ve inexplicably developed problems feeling way too low - sweaty, headache, shaky, couldn’t concentrate, heart pounding, thought I’d pass out. I checked and my sugar was 85…otherwise in normal limits but feeling way, WAY too low and starving despite having just eaten. The following day I tested before lunch (101). 45 minutes after eating I was feeling low and ravenously hungry again and tested 85 again. I felt so horrible that I drank 4 oz. of regular soda and 15 minutes later STILL wasn’t feeling better so I tested again and had dropped to 80. I finished off the remaining 4 oz. of regular soda ate a half dozen or so slices of pepperoni and the same amount of cheese cubes and I rebounded only to 98. The following day I tested before and after lunch and found I DROPPED significantly after eating. I resisted the urge to eat more, toughed out the nasty “low” feelings and finally rebounded to 114 after about 1.5 hours. I don’t understand why my sugars are bouncing around like crazy all of the sudden. I’m glad they’re lower than the 140’s and 185’s that I was seeing before at the 2 hr. pp, but I’m not liking the feelings of being low, either.

I may be way off, here, but I would think your incredibly variable work schedule could be a factor that’s wreaking havoc with your attempts at weight loss…and possibly even with your sugars. The human body really does function best when it has a fairly consistent schedule of wakefulness, sleep, eating, exercising, etc.

With your work causing you to be called in at all hours, all of those things are getting continually screwed up and your body can’t adjust, especially if these changes are made as quickly as it sounds your schedule demands. There are multiple published studies that show that people who do “shift work” (ie. working evening, night or rotating shifts) often experience more sickness and health issues than those who have consistent and/or daylight schedules. Couple that knowledge with the efects the diabetes and the Celiac have on your body and it’s no wonder you’ve been experiencing problems!

My doctor is checking my cortisol levels.
I have cut my calories way back.
I never was one for fast food, but I understand what you are saying.
I used to eat a chicken breast and vegetables for a meal, now it’s half of a chicken breatst. I am constantly hungry, but I think I have to have that in order to lose weight.
My doctors says that my high insulin levels are probably the problem. He said that insulin helps you convert glucose to energy and the excess is converted to fat, quite easily in someone like me.
I am writing everything down like you said.
My only beverage is water.
I find though, that sometimes I eat, and an hour later I am hungry. I am only eating meat, fish, eggs, nuts or vegetables.
I don’t know why I am hungry so soon after eating. My stomach actually growls and burns. Maybe this is the sign I am llosing weight, and I have to get used to it!

Do not go hungry, Munch on a handful of almonds, or a handful of walnuts 2 or 3 times a day. Cottage cheese is your friend, also. Too much protein in the diet can be a problem, also. Try to eat a few carbs, veggies, and some healthy fats.
Stay away from anything but water. Even diet soft drinks can cause you to gain weight, because of the man made sugars in them–you body reacts to them.
Most meats and chicken in the US is pumped full of steroids, to bring them to the market faster–studies are being done on what these steroids do to the human body–they may also cause you to retain weight–who really knows? Try organic, if you can find it and afford it.
What is your blood sugar? Use your meter to determine what foods you can eat without your blood sugar skyrocketing. Everyone is different, and what affects others may not affect you, and vice versa. Use your meter as a tool to find out what foods affect you the least. You may wish to try vinigar pills before a meal, as they can lower blood sugar levels, and spikes that occur if eating the wrong things.
If your numbers are higher than they should be, your doctor should increase your dosage of Metformin. 1000 mg is not that much. I am on 2000 mg of Avandia, so you have room to go up. Get your blood sugar down, start checking everything you eat with your meter, and learn what foods you can tolerate. There is no reason to starve yourself.

I can’t have dairy so no cottage cheese.
I never drink or eat anything with artificial sweeteners. Aspartame gives me a bad headache.
I buy no-hormone chicken and beef and cage-free, no hormone eggs.
Yes, organic is best!
My blood sugar is going between 120-200.
I went back to my doctor, and I suggested upping my Metformin, as he was at a loss about what to do. He said my insulin is high, which is why I am fat.
So now I am on 1500 of Metformin ER.
I suggested Byetta, because of my high insulin, and he said it would be a good drug, but my insurance will not pay for that drug because it is expensive. It must be fun for these doctors trying to practice medicine when they can’t help a patient because insurance companies are more about money than health.

There are so few foods I can really eating, being Celiac and allergic to dairy and shellfish.

I don’t know how to get my insulin levels down…