Why do they do this?

This topic often comes up when speaking with parents of children with diabetes. The child becomes non-compliant (don't you just love that word?) and the endo threatens to take the child's insulin pump away from them. I really do not understand the reasoning.

If you child is not bolusing, testing, etc--basically not doing their daily diabetes care by pressing buttons, what makes the professionals think that drawing up a syringe will make them that much more accountable? I think I would feel better if my child had a pump because then I would know that the basal rate is at least being delivered. If they are on shots they may miss injecting the basal dose the same as they are missing the bolus amount.

Maybe they think that if they are injecting that Mom or Dad will be watching the injection and make the child more accountable? What is the difference between Mom or Dad watching/doing an injection versus them bolusing or supervising a bolus on a pump? I am honestly stumped by this.

In defense of the endos however, I have heard of parents who felt that, in some cases, this can be the way to go.......to finish reading this blog please refer to www.diabetesadvocacycom.blogspot.com

I don’t think that it is the right solution either. The only thing that I can think of is that it is easier to get in trouble when you are a “non-compliant” pumper. If you disconnect, you will have no insulin in you in four hours. If you don’t change your infusion set, you can have very low insulin absorption. If someone can supervise that the long acting insulin is getting in, then at least you are more likely to avoid DKA, even if blood sugar levels may be high.

Another possible reason is that an insulin pump is an expensive option if it is not being used well.

Still I agree with you that there must be better options. Having an insulin pump is not necessarily seen as a “privilege” by the teen. Not needing an insulin pump (i.e. no diabetes) would clearly be the preferred option!

I find it funny that there was a threat to take away the pump. Well, not funny…but you know what I mean. I agree that if you have a NC child, it would seem you would WANT to keep them on the pump. At least they get something. I don’t know…For me, this is how I would have handled that situation. I would have asked my kid to leave the room and had a very serious discussion with the endo. They need to understand what type of kid they are speaking to before they make threats. Some kids do well with them and some don’t.

Also, in my house freedom is tied to responsibility. (I have said this many times). So, if the child wants to go out with friends or play games or watch tv…it’s directly tied to their responsibilities. Maybe the pump isn’t the solution, maybe they would do better off the pump. But somehow, some way you have to make the child responsible. My children choose not to be on the pump. There is no proof it works better than injections, and my kids are very active. It’s just not for them. Parents need to be open to not only what works best for the child, but also what the child works with best.