Why I test and manage my diabetes

In the spring of 2007 I had a severe insulin reaction. During this reaction I drove through town (and 2 school zones) and have no memory of driving. I had driven off the road and had a flat tire, and a person stopped, and gave me a ride to my home. A sheriff officer came to my door(apparently I had left my vehicle on private property), and was investigating the incident. I was on the phone with my wife and she knew something was wrong. She made the officer stay with me until she and the EMT services showed up. My blood sugar levels were at 25, but my blood pressure was 230 over 130(scared everyone including the EMT’s). I enrolled into a diabetic training class through he local hospital(I have been a diabetic for 22 years and its amazing what you forget or just won’t do). I have managed to drop my HBA1c by over 4 points(I started at 10.9 and my last was 6.7) in under a year. I manage my high blood pressure and I am working on watching my kidney functions(about 40-45% left). I still haven’t answered why I manage my diabetes yet. The main reason is my wife and I adopted two wonderful children in Dec. of 06. After the start to life they have had, I felt that they need their daddy(me) around for a while. Thats why I watch my diabetes closer than ever now…(of course driving through town and not remembering it spooked me also)…