Why I Use A Pump

After Tamra’s detailed explanation here’s my short version!

MDI is S**t.

It doesn’t really work. If it’s all about controlling your insulin, with MDI you have no control over your basal and no fine control over your bolus. DEAL BREAKER!

Joel

1 Like

He and Tess could be twins. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Well, since there is no possibility of my ever having a pump, I guess I’ll just have to live with no control. Someone should tell my A1c, lack of hypos and lack of complications. They don’t seem to know.

3 Likes

Absolutely best way would be to give a pump a trial. I totally understand that you’ve been doing MDI for 18 years, have likely become very comfortable with it and don’t see the need (or really the desire) to make the change if MDI works well.

I can tell you that 2 of your concerns can be addressed by trying the OmniPod as there is no tubing and no need to disconnect while swimming or at beach. The OmniPod is not perfect and some people like me love it and others have had issues with it, but that is not singular to the OmniPod.

Quick reader’s digest for me on why I use a Pump. I’ve been using a pump for almost 15 years and then tried to go back to MDI using Tresiba and Afrezza. For the most part, I was all good on this MDI regimen, however, there was a nasty spike in the 12pm - 4pm time frame that I just could not control without the multiple basal profile flexibility of a pump. So I went back to it. I never like the tethered feeling of my previous Medtronic pump so I’m a huge fan of the OmniPod.

Best of luck and as always YDMV!!!

1 Like

@Terry4 - My I:C ratio fluctuated initially, but after 2 or 3 months has trended back to usual. Virtually all the insulin reduction is decreased Bolus required.

I tracked changes over 8-12 weeks making only small changes to BASAL. Prior to upping total daily basal dose, I was using +/- 1.5 times more Bolus than Basal.
Bolus:Basal ratio is now +/- 0.75.

I use a Dexcom CGM and my target range is 4.5. Typically running CGM’s between 4-5

#InsulinResistance

1 Like

OK, my comments were maybe a bit OTT. I don’t know your situation, but you are T2,. and it presents different problems.

1 Like

Not all that different. With c-pep at 0.1 and fading, it’s getting less different all the time.

But I do get the sense of frustration that prompted your comment. Diabetes is nothing if not frustrating.

4 Likes

I was just looking at the omnipod info but got turned off by reading all the problems people have had. It looks really big too if I remember from seeing my kids wear it at camp. Idk, I think I’ll order a demo kit to try it.

I don’t have a picture handy here, but, hey - our WHITE cat, Snowball, is a pretty darn good once, too! :grinning: Follows my daughter around like a puppy, and at four, still plays like a kitten, with almost anything. Aside from that, he keeps our house “safe” from pests and is on nearly constant “neighborhood watch!” (Ok, that’s less "helpful! :wink:…)

1 Like

Demo kit is a good idea. Folks have problems with other pumps as well. As for the size, it doesn’t really bother me because the non-tethered “trade off” (if you would even call it that) makes up for it big time.

Again, I am not trying to sway anyone one way or another, just saying the OmniPod has been wonderful for me.

1 Like

Ironically, I felt MORE tethered by the Omnipod – probably due to the size/weight, plus the PDM’s bulkiness. I suppose years of having “things” attached to my belt almost all the time make the pump just a minor addition to the collection (though I do currently typically carry my cellphone in a pocket, rather than on my belt…) The infusion set of the tubed pump (Animas Vibe) weighs nearly nothing, and with tubing running under my clothing, it’s barely noticeable to me.

I guess that’s why we have choices: Different options work best for different folks!

1 Like

absolutely Thas. The size is completely fine for me especially since I wear it almost exclusively on the back of my arms.

Choices are great, especially when we are all so different and our needs are all unique.

2 Likes

does it hurt when wearing? i remember my insertion sets on my pump used to be sore a lot of times and i hated it. they always used to clog which is why i dont think ill ever go back to pumps. and i hated having to insert them! very cool that the pod does it for you.

My first tortie girl was named Tess too… she was amazing and saved my life in many ways too… she was the calmest cat on earth and so loving and gentle… I used take her to the beach with me, she would go into the brush- I trained her to come when I whistled… I never needed a carrier for her except at the dvm and some on long trips to go in and out if the car for safety, but while in the car she would sit in the back usually and use a litter pan. She used to love to sit on the back ledge and speed down the highway and she is the only one who I took on a plane. Wiz wasn’t a traveler and he used to poop five minutes before we go to our destination, so we had to stop that. But he enjoyed visiting with the other cats when we got there.

I’m sure Snowball is super wonderful too :heart_eyes: … there is an all white cat at my new dvm named Princess Penelope… she is gorgeous & she can be a bit feisty apparently unless you’re a true cat person… but she has cat approved me :grinning: There are also 5 maine coon brown tabby sisters who live there with the Princess.

1 Like

Overall I found the steel needles to be much better, I still have irritation problems with them and other issues but not nearly as bad as the plastic cannulas.

Not the best one to answer… I did not like the way the Omnipod deployed - I found its insertion VERY abrupt - got startled every time. As to hurt - not really - even the Inset infusion sets I’ve been using don’t really “hurt” - at least not 90% of the time. I have not had a lot of problems with clogs - on the Omnipod or tubed pump. Worst problem was if I slept on it - sometimes, it occluded. With the Omnipod, occlusions can not be resolved - HAVE to replace the pod.

Nice! Cute cat.
Here’s a picture of Snowball - though not a real recent one:

2 Likes

aww, he’s beautiful! He reminds me of mouse, one of my ex’s cats who I will prolly never see again… I just love cats that follow you around giving you love all day :heart_eyes_cat:

You guys are all making me want a cat so badly! They are all so cute!!! I’m so tempted to go spend a few hours at a shelter to see how I react to them…

1 Like