To balance blood sugar.

To eat well.

To excercise.

To do your best.

To take your insulin.

To be compliant.

To keep on going?
8499-DSC00341.JPG (2.08 MB)

Yes to all. To live!!! You have to keep going b/c you have children grandchildren neices nephews and ext who will look up to you and get their insperation!!!

And to help others
And to laugh a lot
And to distribute happiness on your way
And to thank God who created beauty and magic in every moment…

And to help others - so true.
And to laugh a lot - laughter is the best medicine.
And to distribute happiness on your way - so very needed in the world.
And to thank God who created beauty and magic in every moment - precious and true.

Thank You sohair - your reply and all are fantastic.

Hi Carol, I totally understand where you are as I have been there also and don’t want to go back but know I will. 6.5 is not bad at all. I am no Dr but I thought anything under 7 was considered good control and 6 or less is excellent. You sound perfectionistic and I understand that. The best thing my endo ver said was - It is NEVER PERFECT!
I am on the synthrosid for hypo thyroid and i feel much better. Your low tyhroid may be adding to your depressed feelings. How about checking in with a phsychiatrist to see about meds for depression. I did that for a bit but have found that excercise works better for me. Good Luck.

I try because when I hit my 60’s and onwards, unlike my father who was also diabetic and couldn’t be bothered, I want to be able to continue doing all the things I enjoy doing. I like traveling, golfing, spending time with family, hiking, bike riding, etc. My father, who I loved dearly, didn’t do much to control his diabetes, and from the time he was 60 until he died, dealt with failing kidneys, heart disease and heart attacks, near blindness, and necropathy, to name just a few diabetes related complications.

Better health feels good, both physically and mentally. That’s a good enough reason to keep on going.

p.s. 6.5 A1C1’s are actually really great numbers.

I have Type 1. I am 28 years old and literally celebrating my A1C of 6.9 - my lowest ever - I put it on the refrigerator door! I am not allowed to get pregnant until it’s 6 or below. I have watched it climb down from a 14 to a 10 to the years I spent in the 7s, 8s, and 9s. I am in year 18 of my diabetes and finally reached the 6s. I actually called three people when I opened the lab results.

I know we’re two different people, but Carol, a .3 increase is nothing. Remember that an A1C is often responding to lifestyle changes much further after the fact. I have to remind myself that three months of great working out can’t undo the damage I did with the three months of fast food and lax control that preceded it. That’s me. You’re you. But I swear, if I had a 6.5, there’d be a party.

When my endocrinologist says pre-conception like we might actually get there…
When my CDE praises me for going from testing once a month four years ago to 12 times a day now…
When my new ophthalmologist says she thinks I’m lying about my years of retinal bleeding because she sees no scar tissue…
When my relatively sober and professional podiatrist gets giddy because he gets to use the monofilaments he uses only on non-diabetic feet…
When my gynecologist misses me because I don’t have to come in every month with another yeast infection…
When I can work out at the gym - for an hour - without going low…
When I haven’t passed a kidney stone in over two years…
When my husband can sleep through the night without my sugar hitting the 40s…

that’s when I know what a difference my efforts make.

The numbers may betray that there is still a lot to be done, but there are enough wins that I don’t let the loss column tear me in half.

I try to be complaint because I want to be able to live a healthy life and be able to run after my grandkids, watch my daughter graduate from high school, I want to grow old with my Husband.
I want to keep going because I love LIFE and I embrace every day good or bad.
I embrace my HIGH numbers and vent on the internet when I can’t figure out why.
You know what…GOD will never put more on me than I can bare. “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me”-Phillip 4:13
Diabetes isn’t a death sentence,it’s apart of my life. I have a love hate relationship with IT. If I can’t get rid of it I can at least try to control it!!! like I always say Diabetes doesn’t control ME! I control IT.

DiabeticizME - Thank you - I love your faith in Christ.

“I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me”-Phillip 4:13

Since my niece has Type 1, we must give insulin just for her to live. Otherwise it’s a death sentence. Eating well, if we eat fast food, fatty food or carb load, we see immediate consequences, even with proper dosing, with Blood sugars close to 300 to high-300 plus range. Glycemic index, carb load, prebolusing, even with attention to all of these, she is often in the 250s post-prandially. I have been able to reduce these instances with certain strategies, but she will be out of range 30 to 50 percent of every day. Which is typical for children with Type 1. Children get a certain amount of exercise because to them, exercise is fun, swimming, running around, bike-riding, etc. MUST KEEP ON GOING and hang in there, until tools are available to make this disease less invasive, easier to treat, or a cure is found. PLEASE DON’T GIVE UP!!! Hang in there. I understand your frustration, but just hold on to life. P.S. If burned out, give yourself a day where you may not test as much, just the minimum. You can have treats and dose for it. There will be consequences, but you are only human. As long as you don’t eat poorly all or most of the time.

Phil-

Thank you:)

Don’t get too upset about the thyroid. Are you hypothyroid? Just have to take a daily pill, once a day. Not too difficult. I see you are 1.5 LADA. 6.5 is an excellent A1c. There is not much difference between an A1c of 6.2 and 6.5. You have basically remained stable. You are doing a GREAT job. The 6.5 A1c is what you have to show for all your hard work. Much more difficult for a Type 1 to maintain this goal than a Type 2. Goals for niece are 6.4 or under. VERY difficult for us to achieve this! I believe, since you are fully grown, you can certainly hope to stay in the low 6s. You can shoot for the 5s. I’m sure you’ll get there. Just remember, you may not always be able to stay in the 5s. Give yourself a little credit and cut yourself some slack.

Nice…it’s not just about us…it’s the others that intersect our lives…our ability to serve and to be available is reduced when we are not in control…

Fabulous, Melissa.

You guys got that right!!! Melissa and DiabetizME! See even Kathy agrees!!!

You are so right. What is frustrating is like doing everything right with dosage and excercise and diet and you still get a 200 +. Sometimes it can be so frustrating because when my BS is out of wack I feel worse. So then I try so hard to do what is needed and still the numbers are messsed up. It is never perfect and I am tired of that. I am SO ready for a cure but until then I just NEVER GIVE UP! I keep on keeping on!

Why try? Because I love my kids, my wife, my family, my friends and life in general too much to just throw in the towel. Because in 20 years I hope to retire and travel the world. In 30 years I want to be running and playing with my grandchildren. And in 50 years I want people to be surprised to learn that I have been living with diabetes for over half a century, and that it did not ruin me, it did not beat me.

This is a very late reply, but I just saw this… She has been on a pump since four months after diagnosis. Yes, of course we dual wave, mostly. Dual wave is not a magic wand by any means. It can help some. Have not used square wave much. Many children are very carb sensitive, as well as insulin sensitive so things can get very tricky. Even with prebolusing, dual wave, which we also do, mixing low glycemic if we are giving high glycemic foods, eliminating many foods that spike BS too high, we still see high blood sugars. We have finally resorted – against endo and diabetes educator advice – to overbolusing when we are home. We give more insulin than necessary to get her blood sugar to the 150 mark two hours after eating, then take blood sugar, analyze, and give doses of carbs next two hours. Will start giving carbs fifteen minutes after the 150 mark. Very easy to do with cgms when you can actually see the blood sugar number and do not have to dose until she reaches 100 mark. We have also been doing this at dinner even without cgms as she usually stays home after dinner. We have to test every hour though until the duration of insulin action is gone. Her DIA is four and a half hours, but can analyze at the four hour mark. A parent on the children with diabetes forum mentioned to another parent that this is an option he uses. It works well for him and it works well for me but you have to be vigilant. I think endos should be honest and tell parents this may be the only way, if all other options fail. I had thought of this before and specifically asked about it. I wonder, however, if it is safer to get the BS down to the 150 mark, feed 7grams 15 minutes later at which time she should be approx. 120, bringing her back to 150 again. So her postprandials would look like 150 at 2 hours, 150 at 3 hours, 110 at four hours, rather than allowing her postprandials to go higher and naturally come down to 110 at four hours. It buys an extra hour and a half at a more acceptable BS level so I am guessing yes. Again, really need cgms back on to refine strategies such as these. Thank God for the parent who finally acknowledged that yes, you can do this, I do it all the time and it is an option. Otherwise, she would be unnecessary high for two and a half hours after every meal. That adds up when you are dx’d with Type 1 at 8 years of age.