Why would an endo discourage the use of a ketone meter?

I asked this same question in another forum, but nobody seemed to know.

My daughter is 3 and has type 1. We have the urine ketone strips at home, but I’m finding it nearly impossible to either collect some urine from her or have her pee on a strip.

So at her last endocrinologist appointment I asked about a ketone meter. The endo was doing everything she could to discourage me from wanting one, and she kept talking in circles until I gave up asking about it.

Everyone in the other forum was telling me to push for it if I really wanted it. Which I can do … but I have a real desire to know why this doctor doesn’t want us to have one. It doesn’t make sense to me.

Push for it and ask her why!!! Actually, DEMAND it. Do you have to have a script?

I’m not clear as to why you can’t see why I’m asking. If she won’t give me a straight answer about needing the strips, how can I even get to a discussion about why she doesn’t seem to want me to have them? I want to figure out if she has a real reason, or if anyone else has encountered this, or if she’s just not a very good doctor.

Yes, I can get the meter without a prescription, but it doesn’t work without strips. And I’d prefer to have a prescription for obvious reasons.

Thanks Robyn. Actually I won’t have the opportunity to push for another 2 1/2 months. I kind of do need a script. Though I’m thinking about going to my daughter’s regular pediatrician sooner and seeing if he’ll write the prescription.

Are you sure your insurance would cover ketone strips? I inquired about mine, and the cover urine strips, but they won’t cover those expensive ketone strips.

When I was using insulin pens, I asked my endo if they made pens that dose to a 1/2 unit & he said no, but he could switch me to vials if I wanted. Later, when I found out they made Novo Junior pens, I asked him why he lied, and he responded that he knew my insurance would only cover disposable pens, and therefore wouldn’t be an option. It made me pretty mad that he would rather lie to me, then tell me the simple truth.

I agree with Robyn… Demand it! I’m kinda stumped why a doctor wouldn’t agree to getting the meter?

Is the doctor you are asking (who won’t give you an Rx & meter) the regular doctor or the Endo?

Another weird thing… (I don’t know if you are in USA but it worked for me = I’m in USA) Call your health insurance company and ask for a “caseworker” and tell them that you want a ketones meter for your daughter. My middle child was born with an enlarged bladder (not due to my diabetes - it was most likely that she had the health problem due to an overdose of Thyroid medicine the pharmacy gave me in the beginning of my pregnancy). Anyway, her “sphincter” muscle wasn’t working properly and I had to catheterize her every 6 hours. The pediatric urologist’s nurse kept telling me that NO health insurance would cover me getting a new catheter and said I would have to simply keep washing used catheters (which means more chances of UTI’s). Due to Cayla having health issues at birth BCBS assigned a “caseworker” for her and would call me to find out how she was doing. I told her about the pediatric urologist nurse not supplying me with enough catheters, the caseworker got pretty pissed and pulled some huge strings. The BCBS (health insurance) caseworker called the regular pediatrician and got them to write in a prescription to Edgepark (who also distributes catheters) so that I would have a new catheter for each session and I only had a copay for the monthly supplies. Just a thought to ask your health insurance company if you can get a caseworker if you can’t get either the primary pediatrician or Endo to do an Rx for the meter and strips.

Good Luck!

P.S.: Which meter were you looking at? The Abbott Precision Xtra? (or is there another one?) I read some bad reviews on Amazon.com about the meter. Here is the link…
http://www.amazon.com/Abbott-Precision-Blood-Glucose-Meter/dp/B000N64MZA

Prob because the test strips are so bloody expensive that insurance companies balk–they are on the order of $10 a peice if you have to pay for tham and a lot of pharmacies don’t stock–that being said I love mine. Much more accurate than the urine strips

I would also push for it.The doctor at the Diabetes Clinic gave me one as soon as I started on the pump because pumpers have a higher incidence of getting ketones.

I don’t think you need a script for them, and he probably didnt give it to you because most insurance companies won’t pay for them. I tried that before and my insurance company wouldn’t cover 'em. To me, not that big of a deal because the only reason I would use a ketone meter would be to see if my pump was working, but I can usually catch that fairly easily on my own.

ok,

there are lots of things you are going to need… A ketone meter is probably pretty close to the very bottom of the list…

Once you get rolling on the controlling you will find testing for ketones becomes a rare thing.

Ivan!