Will Antibiotic's cause bg's to rise?

Does antibiotic’s cause blood sugar to rise in a non diabetic child? 7:15 (152) checked it again at 9:45 (147).

Listed are meds that can cause the BS to rise. Even for a non diabetic, many forms of severe stress (surgery, trauma)can temporarily increase glucose levels.
Always ask your MD though.

Drugs that can increase glucose measurements include the following:

• Atypical antipsychotics, especially olanzapine
  • Corticosteroids
  • Diazoxide
  • Intravenous dextrose
  • Diuretics
  • Epinephrine
  • Estrogens
  • Glucagon
  • Isoniazid
  • Lithium
  • Phenothiazines
  • Phenytoin
  • Salicylates (acute toxicity – see aspirin overdose)
  • Triamterene
  • Tricyclic antidepressants

Glucagon…indeed! :stuck_out_tongue:

You can also add most over-the-counter or “supplement” type stimulant diet pills. These will wreck you worse than birthday cake during the dawn phenomenon.

It may not be the antibiotic, but the underlying infection/illness. I had a small infection in my ear a few weeks ago, and my sugars went up about 20 points until it drained, and, at the moment, I’m functionally non-diabetic.

I forgot where I was reading this, but somewhere out there, I saw something that said to never do an OGTT or FBS for diagnostic purposes if the person was sick at all, even if it was just a cold.

Thank you all so much for your replies. I don’t know if this has happened to you before but I already knew the answer to the question…just had to double triple check
Thank you again