Well, I just had my every-year-least-favorite appointment with the doctor. That appointment at the end of winter. That appointment that follows the cold and snow and lack of sunshine and lack of as much exercise. That appointment after the battle with Thanksgiving and Christmas and Valentines Day – (the three big eating/temptation holidays for me). I always feel sluggish, not-so-fit and a little bit of a lump. I’ve usually gained a little weight, my A1C is a little high and my mood is totally Debbie Downer.
So, how do you get out of your Winter Funk?
Well I have a few things I do. Sure would like to hear your tricks!
- I get out the cookbooks and make sure I’m not in a rut. Try a new recipe, take out the crock pot and make some of my Italian Veggie Soup.
- Decorate my journal. I write EVERYTHING down in a journal. Mood. Sugar numbers. Food consumed. And I go through magazines and cut out pictures, recipes and phrases and paste them randomly throughout my journal. Then, as I write, I turn the page to find a random silly picture or a phrase or quote to make me smile or think.
- Go for a walk. That’s a big deal when its April and it snowed this week. I usually realize I’m run down and a little too stationary and I need to move!
- Make a bear cave with blankets and pillows and my teddy bear and take an hour to read. A little personal time and space without guilt.
- Text all my children and tell them I love them.
- Kidnap my husband and go to a bookstore and tell him to pick out anything he wants.
- Go to the art store and pick out anything I want.
- Load some new tunes on my mp3 player for my treadmill time.
This year seemed to hit harder because of a stay in the hospital for a foot infection. And winter seems to be lingering a little longer this year. But, I can do this. Shake that Winter Funk!