Woman’s insulin confiscated by airport security

Yuck :joy_cat: :flushed:

That’s the way the world is now. They don’t even think twice about beating senior citizens now. The airline stock went down a few points then quickly returned, money was made from this incident.

Caution, it is a disturbing video. Click at your own risk.

Every time I fly, TSA requires me to hold those items while they wipe them (and my hands). They won’t allow me to set them down. I asked one of the muckety-mucks of TSA (I was doing airport security consulting at the time) why and that individual replied that it was to ensure that my items weren’t contaminated by anything I might set them down on.

That’s a pretty big accusation to make anywhere, and for an event that occurred in the UK it is based on a completely false premise that insulin is worth stealing. Diabetics in the UK get insulin through the NHS and it costs them very little.

1 Like

Do you really think some people steal only things of value

I know it’s provided - I looked it up before I posted

People leave things behind at security all the time, phones, keys, wallets, bags, belts etc. Leaving Malaysia last week, the immigration officer had a passport sitting on his desk that someone had left there half an hour earlier. At the very next checkpoint I was passing through in Singapore an hour later, a man came came walking back to collect his belt because his pants were falling down, and exclaimed in surprise when the security people handed him his laptop as well.
I travel a lot, and my default position is that you only declare at security screening what the sign says you have to declare.
My 7yo son was diagnosed 3 months ago tomorrow, and has been on 10 flights since, four of them international, and through at least 18 screening checkpoints. We declared his Dexcom for the first flight, and he was subjected to a pat-down and swab (despite not setting off the metal detector), because that’s what their process says to do when an implanted medical device is declared. Haven’t bothered since then, his insulin pens, BG meter, needles etc all stay in the bag and nobody has batted an eyelid. [We do always keep at least one box with the prescriber label for each medication type, and have put a copy of his diagnosis letter from his endo noting his medication requirements in a zip-lock bag in each item of luggage that we use that just stays in the bag permanently]. He got his pump yesterday which will obviously change things a bit, but by and large security people do their job efficiently and with sensitivity.

At busy airports it’s not uncommon for bags to be pulled off the line to go through the x-ray again, and sometimes that takes a while. Sometimes you have to wait for someone to do a manual check because the x-ray operator can’t work out what is going on in the tangle of wires, usb power banks and foil-wrapped sweets in your bag. Travellers are often nervous or in a hurry.

Your post implied that they were stealing it because they could use it, or to give to someone else who could. I really do think that no diabetic or friend of a diabetic would do such a thing except in dire need, any more than they would push random strangers in front of a bus while their every move is recorded.

I expect the worst in people and I am never let down

Sorry to be doggy downer - But, trust no one - just the way it is

I am going to get a tattoo on my wrist - TRUST NO ONE - in Croatian

1 Like

Why not get it in English so all your American friends know where they stand.

It needs to be obscure

Understandable

1 Like