Words

Words are a curious thing they can lift us up or pull us down. We can say something with good intention and it comes across the wrong way. This happens a lot when you aren't face to face with people and are communicating through messaging, emails, and yes the chat room.

A couple of days ago there was someone in chat that was feeling bad about a rather high bg number. Instead of getting suggestions on what they could do to help get it down or the much wanted "hey, that sucks" they were told by several people that they had never been up that high and were appalled that anyone who cares about control could ever let their number get up that high.
Folks a number is just a number. If some one is high give a helpful suggestion or sympathize. That number doesn't define a persons controls it is data to help them to know the next step in their management. That same person also doesn't need to know that you have had numbers between 80-120 for the past 90 days simply save that info for another time (and give your self a pat on the back). Let them know that you are there to listen and help. If you don't know what to do then point them to some one who does. Please, please don't push people away with your words think before you type. This blog is as much a reminder to myself to watch my words as it is for anyone. Matthew 7:3 "You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye." or as we should say in Maine "You hypocrite, first take the deer fly out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the black fly from your brother's eye." I will be working on using my words to be helpful instead of hurtful. I seriously love this TuD family you guys have helped me out big time.
-Bagpipegirl

you are right
we should watch what we say & how we say it
sometimes we should listen more than we speak

What's important are the A1C averages, and as my endocrinologist told me when I asked him about all those glucometer advertisements that showed 90-100 mg/dl, "It's more of an art than a science." My glucometer readings can go from 35-242 mg/dl on the same day, yet my a1Cs are always within range. I've learned through trial and error, mostly error, but don't give up.

It can't be said enough that numbers are nothing more than data points, as you say BPG, it helps determine what the next steps are.

Numbers NEVER define whether we are "bad" or "good", unless you give the numbers that power.

I agree, numbers are data. We are not anything based on numbers, just as children shouldn't be defined by their grades or standardized test scores.

You are so right, BPG. Words can heal or hurt and we should use them with some thought.

When I see a high number on my meter, I tell myself,"That's just data." When I see a wonderful number on the meter, I feel delight and congratulate myself for my great management and personal discipline!

I am sure we all do the best we can to keep our numbers as close to normal as we can. If I have a high one I just deal with it and move on. We should not be stuck on a number be it high or low, just deal with it and move on. That is why we test frequently to remedy a high or low number. No one should be defined by one number. We should always be kind to people,as they are doing the best they can.