Working 50 to 60 hours in triple digit weather....what should I know?

I finally got a job after searching for the last year and a half! It’s with a excavating company and I will be starting out as a flagmanthe guy who directs traffic on a project that will last the next couple of months. I will be outside in the sun all day everyday…so what I’m wondering is as a couple month old dx’d type 1 is there anything I should be aware of with the hot heat? It has been in the 100 and 90 all of June and does not look like it will get much better. I know to keep hydrated and signs of heat exhaustion. Is there anything I should know. All help is appreciated.

Where I am from…a 3 digit temp weather is usual (that’s why I love the air conditioner gods!) Indeed lots of fluids will help…a cool damp towel for your face and neck will also help when exposed to heat or sun for longer periods of time may also help. You can also use water spray bottles. I can suggest light colored light fabric clothes with a head gear will also help but Im sure you will have some sort of a uniform with the job. When Im out and about…I test blood sugar often too…often I cannot distinguish having a low from heat fatigue. Oh…you might want to try some sun blocks for your skin too =)
Congratulations on the new job!

Drink drink drink - and then drink some more! Do not worry too much about needing to use the toilet - you will sweat it out - and then you need to drink some more, and have regular test breaks - say between vehicles. It only takes seconds to test and can be done “on the job” once you get yourself sorted.

Either cover up or use high SPF sun cream and keep reapplying.

You will find that your blood sugars might be a bit volatile - and lows can appear from nowhere from the heat, and this needs to be watched, and dealt with before it is too late.

Keep your insulin in a frio wallet - hopefully out of the sun - it can be destroyed if it is kept too warm.

Let your colleagues know that you are diabetic - and point out that it will not affect your work - so that they can recognise symptoms of highs and lows and help you out. If, being only recently diagnosed, you do not feel confident to explain everything (and even us older timers and doctors do not know everything!) bring some pamphlets about diabetes and hypos etc in to the staff room and leave them lying around for people to pick up. Also when we suffer from heat exhaustion there comes a time when we do not recognise it!

Another thing! Watch your feet! Make sure that you wash them and change your socks daily and check for callusses, sores, blisters and anything else untoward.

Good luck and congratulations on your new job!

Great advice already given. Make sure you have fast-acting sugar available…juice, regular soda. etc. Cooler and some cold towels for your neck or head? Congratulations!! Take care :slight_smile:

I used to run with a water bottle for thirst and a bottle of Gatorade for BG. I get the powdered GA b/c 1) it’s cheaper and 2) it’s useful to be able to measure it, and put in however many G of carbs I need. I started tossing 10G of Gatorade powder in the water bottle thinking the electrolytes might be useful, even in a lower dosage (I usually have a swig out of whichever bottle I need every couple of miles?) and I have noticed that this “low-octane” Gatorade still gives me a very good feeling when I drink it, quenching thirst more than water? It might be helpful to try htat.

I work outside on an airport tarmac and I just make a point to test and snack, I have had nights where I have done close to 80 carbs with out needing a shot. I keep it to no more then 20 carbs at a time. Also keep your fluids up.

I strongly agree with others who’ve pointed you in the direction of a Frio pack. When I left the midwest a few years back, it was late July/early August and it was hotter than heck. The only thing that saved my insulin was the Frio pack I’d purchased. The cheap insulated pack with the frozen insert I purchased at a pharmacy (not going to give their name; they don’t need more business!) was melted and in excess of 75 degrees F within 2 hours of leaving. The Frio pack remained fairly cool, though I would heed their advice and NOT put the pack in anything that will not support evaporation. When the Frio was in my leather purse, it also got warm because the water in the gel pack couldn’t evaporate.

You can get the Frio packs at American Diabetes Wholesale and as a member of TuD, you are eligible for a discount on purchases made through there.

Good luck on the new job!!

Angela

thanks for all the great info. And I also purchased a Frio Wallet today.