Working on lower numbers, getting light headed at 150?

Hey there - I've been trying to work on lowering my A1C by going with lower carbs and exercise, and that is going fine - but I'm feeling like I'm low even when my numbers are still high. I've read that sometimes it takes your body a while to adjust to the new lower numbers as they start to go down - but how long does that take? I HATE feeling lightheaded and I am so tempted to eat some carbs just to make it go away.

If I knew a aprox time it would take to start getting over this feeling I might be able to hold out and fight the good fight!

Anyone else deal with this? How long did it take for normal numbers to not feel low?

Don't give up! I don't recall exactly how long it took for lower numbers to feel normal, but they certainly did. I want to say it took a month or so. Maybe it would benefit you to not send them too low, too quickly. I mean, perhaps start with a goal of X and then next week, lower that to X - 10 or x - 20 until you gradually get to a number that you are happy with. It is my opinion that getting there is the prize ... not necessarily getting there NOW.

I definitely experienced this when I got my blood sugars under tighter control. I'm not sure how long it took to adjust, but it was a couple of weeks, I think. One thing you can try is to "trick" your brain into thinking you're getting some carbs by drinking a no-carb/calorie drink (crystal light or diet soda) or eating something super low carb, like cheese. Hang in there, though, it is worth it in the long run, and you'll be amazed at how much better you feel soon!

If you have been running 200-300 mg/dl, then a blood sugar of 100-120 mg/dl will leave you with hypo feelings. But these feelings should recede in 1-2 weeks. If you feel you need to treat the feelings, then treat it as a low. Take a glucose tab, but don't eat a bag of chips.

Thanks guys - I'll give it a month and just ride it out. Right now my highest numbers are in the 230 range - but I only ever get down to 110 at the lowest. I'm on tragenta, metformin, and glipzide. I'm pretty sure if I don't get them back down to a decent level I'm going to get put on insulin.

I know there is nothing to be ashamed about or anything on insulin - I just remember having to do it back when I was pregnant and I hated the hassle of it.

Thanks for the input!

Huh - interesting - worth a try

I wouldn't randomly take a potassium supplement unless you knew your levels were low. High and low potassium can be very dangerous and you should make sure your kidney functions are good before you take potassium.

If you don't have compromised kidney function, I'm not really convinced that potassium is that dangerous. And if it is, patients should be advised about their food first, then their supplements. The RDA for potassium is 4700 mg/day and I have found that I need to supplement if I have electrolyte problems (like extended exercise on a really hot day with lots of water loss). So I keep these supplements around, they are 550 mg tablets, providing 90 mg of utilizable potassium which is 3% of the RDA according to the label. Most American's don't get as much potassium as the RDA.

And I only look to supplements for immediate relief of electrolyte problems. I found that foods are far better sources of potassium. Good low carb sources are broccoli (1c - 450 mg), yogurt (1c - 550 mg) and spinach (1c cooked - 850 mg). A small banana has 600 mg, a good source of potassium, but very high in carbs. Bananas are claimed to be a good source of potassium which is all fine and dandy, but there are certainly better sources for someone who has diabetes.

So I don't see the concern about supplements, particularly since you would have to chomp down on like 8-10 pills to exceed the amount of potassium in the foods I listed above. What I have seen suggests that it with normal kidney function, it is not possible to overdose on potassium simply from supplements and food. Of course, if you do have compromised kidney function, all bets are off and you already should have been advised to control potassium (and sodium) rich foods and taking potassium (or sodium) supplements is certainly not good.

When i grabbed my diabetes by the throat earlier this year, i had the exact same problems. Your body is used to such high sugar levels that "normal" levels make your body think its going Hypo. I was dizzy, shaking a lil, stomach all in an uproar and such. Just remember, IT DOES GET BETTER. Once your body adjusts to the lower levels, symptoms go away. In Feb my A1c was 10.9. Last week it was 6.9. It takes time, dont rush it. YOU CAN DO IT.