Worried about losing job

After missing so many days of work during the past nine months or so I worry about losing the job I have. Being a 49 year old I feel I have no other prospects. So, I need to keep the dead-end job that offers no insurance, and no support for my aliment. The stress of missing so many days of work is not limited to just losing my job but, also the money to buy my medications, test strips, syringes, etc... Since I am a part-time bartender and most of my income is from gratuities, and not by the minimum wage I am paid. So, my question is what can I do to protect myself, and what options do I have?

http://www.diabetes.org/living-with-diabetes/know-your-rights/discrimination/employment-discrimination/

Hmm… so you have excessive absence at work? Do you have supporting documentations explaining why you have been out of work on days you have been scheduled (i.e. doctor notices, jury duty, etc)? As long as you have those valid documentations, I don’t see how they can terminate you, unless there are some unexplained length of time you were missing.

You say that you are a bartender – do you work in a restaurant, bar, hotel? If anything, look into the hotel industry as they are always looking for those who have experience with bartending – plus they usually have flexibility in crosstraining you for other areas of a hotel so that you have the hours you need… just a suggestion. I work in the hotel industry and I’ve been rotating my associates so they all can work in all areas of the hotel if one needs to cover for the other. Plus, this gives you some of the flexibility that you may be seeking… of course, this depends on the management…

Hope all goes well and keep me posted!

I don’t know but, maybe I get a bit over sensitive when my BG is too high I just cannot seem to think rationally; added to the stress of bronchitis I’ve been battling for most of the month—I’ve just been in a survival mode, and it seems to carry over into other aspects of my life. Seeking out other birds of my feather to flock with seems to help me to focus on immediate solutions to one problem at a time, and not create issues where there may not be any in the first place; ya know? I can get a doctor’s note that’s not a problem. However, I work in a small owner operated establishment, and getting someone to cover me is an ordeal, and if the owner gets fed up a push here and a shove there could lead to undesirable things can happen. It is a really big help for me to see others posting on similar health issues to the ones I experience, and lend a helping hand in if nothing else a true form of empathy for my condition and situation, along with good advice in the forms of employment, and Americans with disabilities. Shoot fire, I didn’t even know type 2 diabetes was considered a disability but, a chronic condition to which there is no help for.
Allen